Windows Backup to a TAPE Drive

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

HI there,

I am trying to schedule my server to backup one data folder at a daily time
to a tape drive. I have gone through and set up the schedule and I can
actually look at the backup calendar and the event is scheduled daily as it
should be. But when the time comes and goes, nothing happens, no backup,
nothing. If I select the folder and perform the backup manually, then it
works just fine everytime. Just not when I schedule a time for the backup
later. I can tell you that the drive and the SCSI controller are working
fine and there are no conflicts at all. Any Help would be great.

Thanks,
Dave

It's usually related to having a different tape in the drive than NTBackup
expects. If you are using NTBackup it works better if you run it from a
script and use the /um parameter. Here's an example:

ntbackup backup systemstate @c:\backups\daily.bks /v:yes /hc:eek:n /m normal
/l:s /p "4mm DDS" /um

Warning this will erase the tape. You'll have to modify some of the
parameters to match your drive and system and what you want to backup.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

> HI there,
>
> I am trying to schedule my server to backup one data folder at a daily
> time
> to a tape drive. I have gone through and set up the schedule and I can
> actually look at the backup calendar and the event is scheduled daily as
> it
> should be. But when the time comes and goes, nothing happens, no backup,
> nothing. If I select the folder and perform the backup manually, then it
> works just fine everytime. Just not when I schedule a time for the backup
> later. I can tell you that the drive and the SCSI controller are working
> fine and there are no conflicts at all. Any Help would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks for the post, Kerry. OK, That makes sense to an extent. Now how do I
implement this script? I see that I could probably just copy and past what
you have there and make a few modifications tailerd to my system. The folder
(and successive files) that I want to backup is located at C:\Alta and I want
to perform the backup daily at 10:00PM. Any clues on a script for that or
what it might entail to implement one? Thanks for your help!

Dave

> Thanks for the post, Kerry. OK, That makes sense to an extent. Now how do
> implement this script? I see that I could probably just copy and past
> what
> you have there and make a few modifications tailerd to my system. The
> folder
> (and successive files) that I want to backup is located at C:\Alta and I
> want
> to perform the backup daily at 10:00PM. Any clues on a script for that or
> what it might entail to implement one? Thanks for your help!

Your welcome. Try these links for some more information. You would just save
the file as something like DAILYBACKUP.CMD and then run that from the task
scheduler. As others have said make sure you have the task running as a user
with appropriate permissions. I usually make a special backup user and give
them explicit read only permissions for the needed files and a strong
password. For some reason the built in Backup Operators group doesn't always
work. It took me a few hours the first time I set it up this way but it
allows a lot more options than the gui.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/ntbackup_command_line_examples.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314844

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

> Thanks for the post, Kerry. OK, That makes sense to an extent. Now how do
> implement this script? I see that I could probably just copy and past
> what
> you have there and make a few modifications tailerd to my system. The
> folder
> (and successive files) that I want to backup is located at C:\Alta and I
> want
> to perform the backup daily at 10:00PM. Any clues on a script for that or
> what it might entail to implement one? Thanks for your help!

One more thing after reading the other replies. I don't think the task
scheduler will use an account with no password. My memory is fuzzy but I
kind of remember that from somewhere. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let
us know :)

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:37:05 -0800, Dave wrote:

> HI there,
>
> I am trying to schedule my server to backup one data folder at a daily time
> to a tape drive. I have gone through and set up the schedule and I can
> actually look at the backup calendar and the event is scheduled daily as it
> should be. But when the time comes and goes, nothing happens, no backup,
> nothing. If I select the folder and perform the backup manually, then it
> works just fine everytime. Just not when I schedule a time for the backup
> later. I can tell you that the drive and the SCSI controller are working
> fine and there are no conflicts at all. Any Help would be great.

If you run the job manually, while logged in, does it run?

When you say server, do you mean an actual Windows 2000/2003 server or are
you talking about Windows XP (which is not a server)?

What backup software are you using?

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

| On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:37:05 -0800, Dave wrote:
|
|| HI there,
|| I am trying to schedule my server to backup one data folder at a daily time
|| to a tape drive. I have gone through and set up the schedule and I can
|| actually look at the backup calendar and the event is scheduled daily as it
|| should be. But when the time comes and goes, nothing happens, no backup,
|| nothing. If I select the folder and perform the backup manually, then it
|| works just fine everytime. Just not when I schedule a time for the backup
|| later. I can tell you that the drive and the SCSI controller are working
|| fine and there are no conflicts at all. Any Help would be great.
|
| If you run the job manually, while logged in, does it run?
|
| When you say server, do you mean an actual Windows 2000/2003 server or are
| you talking about Windows XP (which is not a server)?
|
| What backup software are you using?
|

| --
| spam999free@rrohio.com
| remove 999 in order to email me

To add to Leythos' questions...

Have you supplied an account & password with sufficient rights to the scheduled task to
perform both the task and to perform the backup ?

--
Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks for responding, Leythos. To answer your questions, yes, when I run
the job manually, it will backup to the tape just fine. I have even tried
different tapes, but that makes no difference. This PC is running Windows XP
pro and the software I and using for the backup is simply the Windows Backup
Software that I installed from the Windows XP Pro Disk. Like I said before,
the scheduled time comes and goes for the backup and nothing happens. Thanks
for your help in advance.

Dave

"Leythos" wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 12:37:05 -0800, Dave wrote:
>
> > HI there,
> >
> > I am trying to schedule my server to backup one data folder at a daily time
> > to a tape drive. I have gone through and set up the schedule and I can
> > actually look at the backup calendar and the event is scheduled daily as it
> > should be. But when the time comes and goes, nothing happens, no backup,
> > nothing. If I select the folder and perform the backup manually, then it
> > works just fine everytime. Just not when I schedule a time for the backup
> > later. I can tell you that the drive and the SCSI controller are working
> > fine and there are no conflicts at all. Any Help would be great.
>
> If you run the job manually, while logged in, does it run?
>
> When you say server, do you mean an actual Windows 2000/2003 server or are
> you talking about Windows XP (which is not a server)?
>
> What backup software are you using?
>

> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Yes, the user profile is set at administrator level and the password I just
left blank. Any other ideas?

| Yes, the user profile is set at administrator level and the password I just
| left blank. Any other ideas?

Well that's it !

You have to supply the name of an administrative account or the the "administrator" account
and provide the password of the account. Without it the job can not start.

--
Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Thanks again for the help, Dave. I am a little confused. I can see where
this would password issue be a problem, for sure. First I will give you a
little information here. There is only one user account set up on this
install of Windows XP Pro and it is named "User" without the quotes. I set
it to log on automatically without any sort of password. The "User" account
has administrative priveleges. My Computer Name for the Network is "SERVER"
without the quotes. Where I am confused is this: When I create the
scheduled backup, it asks to "set account information" and the "Run As:" is
set to SERVER\User. And I leave the password and confirm password areas
blank. Now From what you are saying, is this right? Or do I need to change
something there? Thanks for your help, again.

Dave

| Thanks again for the help, Dave. I am a little confused. I can see where
| this would password issue be a problem, for sure. First I will give you a
| little information here. There is only one user account set up on this
| install of Windows XP Pro and it is named "User" without the quotes. I set
| it to log on automatically without any sort of password. The "User" account
| has administrative priveleges. My Computer Name for the Network is "SERVER"
| without the quotes. Where I am confused is this: When I create the
| scheduled backup, it asks to "set account information" and the "Run As:" is
| set to SERVER\User. And I leave the password and confirm password areas
| blank. Now From what you are saying, is this right? Or do I need to change
| something there? Thanks for your help, again.
|
| Dave

Then there are TWO accounts on WinXP Pro...
(unless there is something phunky on WinXP Pro when not on a Domain)

Administrator
user

Provide the administrator account with a password and setup the scheduled task to use that
account and password.

In addition *all* accounts should use passwords. Not doing so is asking for problems.

--
Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hey Dave,

Setting a password seemed to work just fine to kick-start the scheduled
backups. So thank you for that info. However, I have a new question. To
double check that it would run at the scheduled time, I altered the the
scheduled time for the backup to run for a few minutes ahead of the current
time. Again, the scheduled backup kicked on at the appropriate time and it
stated it was mounting the volume. It did this for about 5-10 seconds and
then the screen went away? So it seems that it did not replace the original
backup that I was made before the second attempt, (I tried several variations
after the second attempt with the same results). Here is how I have the
backup setup under Job Summary: Normal Backup. Full Log. Verify Data. Use
Hardware Compression. Do Not Restrict Access to owner or Administrator. Some
File Types excluded. Replace Data on Media. Use Media Named 'ALTABACKUP
created 3/2/2005 at 9:30PM'. Use media Name 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at
9:30pm'. Use set description 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30 PM'.

Now I have tried Using Copy Backup as well and that did nothing to change
the backups made after the first one. Any Thoughts on why this is? Again,
it kicks on like it is starting the backup, but then just stops after about
10 seconds. You can see the access light go on for about 4-5 seconds and
that is it. What am I missing? Thanks for your time.

Dave

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks again for the help, Dave. I am a little confused. I can see where
> | this would password issue be a problem, for sure. First I will give you a
> | little information here. There is only one user account set up on this
> | install of Windows XP Pro and it is named "User" without the quotes. I set
> | it to log on automatically without any sort of password. The "User" account
> | has administrative priveleges. My Computer Name for the Network is "SERVER"
> | without the quotes. Where I am confused is this: When I create the
> | scheduled backup, it asks to "set account information" and the "Run As:" is
> | set to SERVER\User. And I leave the password and confirm password areas
> | blank. Now From what you are saying, is this right? Or do I need to change
> | something there? Thanks for your help, again.
> |
> | Dave
>
> Then there are TWO accounts on WinXP Pro...
> (unless there is something phunky on WinXP Pro when not on a Domain)
>
> Administrator
> user
>
> Provide the administrator account with a password and setup the scheduled task to use that
> account and password.
>
> In addition *all* accounts should use passwords. Not doing so is asking for problems.
>
> --
> Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hey Kerry,

Setting a password seemed to work just fine to kick-start the scheduled
backups. So thank you and Dave for that info. However, I have a new
question. To double check that it would run at the scheduled time, I altered
the the scheduled time for the backup to run for a few minutes ahead of the
current time. Again, the scheduled backup kicked on at the appropriate time
and it stated it was mounting the volume. It did this for about 5-10 seconds
and then the screen went away whereas the initial scheduled backup showed the
backup progress as well as the verification of files being backed-up. So it
seems that the second attempt did not replace the original backup that I made

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the post, Kerry. OK, That makes sense to an extent. Now how do
> > implement this script? I see that I could probably just copy and past
> > what
> > you have there and make a few modifications tailerd to my system. The
> > folder
> > (and successive files) that I want to backup is located at C:\Alta and I
> > want
> > to perform the backup daily at 10:00PM. Any clues on a script for that or
> > what it might entail to implement one? Thanks for your help!
> >

> One more thing after reading the other replies. I don't think the task
> scheduler will use an account with no password. My memory is fuzzy but I
> kind of remember that from somewhere. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let
> us know :)
>
> Kerry Brown
> KDB Systems

> Setting a password seemed to work just fine to kick-start the scheduled
> backups. So thank you and Dave for that info. However, I have a new
> question. To double check that it would run at the scheduled time, I
> altered
> the the scheduled time for the backup to run for a few minutes ahead of
> the
> current time. Again, the scheduled backup kicked on at the appropriate
> time
> and it stated it was mounting the volume. It did this for about 5-10
> seconds
> and then the screen went away whereas the initial scheduled backup showed
> the
> backup progress as well as the verification of files being backed-up. So
> it
> seems that the second attempt did not replace the original backup that I
> made
> before the second attempt, (I tried several variations after the second
> attempt with the same results). Here is how I have the backup setup under
> Job Summary: Normal Backup. Full Log. Verify Data. Use Hardware
> Compression.
> Do Not Restrict Access to owner or Administrator. Some File Types
> excluded.
> Replace Data on Media. Use Media Named 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at
> 9:30PM'. Use media Name 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30pm'. Use set
> description 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30 PM'.
>
> Now I have tried Using Copy Backup as well and that did nothing to change
> the backups made after the first one. Any Thoughts on why this is?
> Again,
> it kicks on like it is starting the backup, but then just stops after
> about
> 10 seconds. You can see the access light go on for about 4-5 seconds and
> that is it. What am I missing? Thanks for your time.
>
> Dave

It's probably something to do with the removable storage manager. I must
confess I've never really understood how RSM works and why it does things
the way it does. That's why I just setup a cmd file and do unattended
backups that way with ntbackup. The command line switches let you force
ntbackup to work the way you want it to, not the way RSM wants to. For
anything other than very basic backups you should be looking to 3rd party
software.

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

Thanks for the info, Kerry. Here is the command line for the backup I
created, what would ba an appropriate switch to force it to do a backup every
time over? Any Ideas are appreciated: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe
backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\ALTADAILY.bks" /n "ALTA FOLDER
BACKUP" /d "ALTA FOLDER BACKUP" /n "ALTA FOLDER BACKUP" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no
/hc:eek:n /m copy /j "altadaily" /l:f /p "4mm DDS"

Again, any switch you could provide here would be greatly appreciated. By
the way, if I mark the tape as free (formatted), and then start the scheduled
job again, it does the same thing. Backs up fine the first time, then the
next times I try it just blips on with the mounting volume deal and then goes
away. Thanks again.

Dave

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> > Setting a password seemed to work just fine to kick-start the scheduled
> > backups. So thank you and Dave for that info. However, I have a new
> > question. To double check that it would run at the scheduled time, I
> > altered
> > the the scheduled time for the backup to run for a few minutes ahead of
> > the
> > current time. Again, the scheduled backup kicked on at the appropriate
> > time
> > and it stated it was mounting the volume. It did this for about 5-10
> > seconds
> > and then the screen went away whereas the initial scheduled backup showed
> > the
> > backup progress as well as the verification of files being backed-up. So
> > it
> > seems that the second attempt did not replace the original backup that I
> > made
> > before the second attempt, (I tried several variations after the second
> > attempt with the same results). Here is how I have the backup setup under
> > Job Summary: Normal Backup. Full Log. Verify Data. Use Hardware
> > Compression.
> > Do Not Restrict Access to owner or Administrator. Some File Types
> > excluded.
> > Replace Data on Media. Use Media Named 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at
> > 9:30PM'. Use media Name 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30pm'. Use set
> > description 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30 PM'.
> >
> > Now I have tried Using Copy Backup as well and that did nothing to change
> > the backups made after the first one. Any Thoughts on why this is?
> > Again,
> > it kicks on like it is starting the backup, but then just stops after
> > about
> > 10 seconds. You can see the access light go on for about 4-5 seconds and
> > that is it. What am I missing? Thanks for your time.
> >
> > Dave
>
> It's probably something to do with the removable storage manager. I must
> confess I've never really understood how RSM works and why it does things
> the way it does. That's why I just setup a cmd file and do unattended
> backups that way with ntbackup. The command line switches let you force
> ntbackup to work the way you want it to, not the way RSM wants to. For
> anything other than very basic backups you should be looking to 3rd party
> software.
>
> Kerry Brown
> KDB Systems

Hey Kerry, Just wanted to report to you here. I looked back at your first
reply and took the switch /um and placed it at the end of the command line.
Worked like a charm. Now it backsup the folder and sub-contents evertime
just fine. beautiful. Thanks again for your time. If you get a second,
what does that switch mean? Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Dave

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> > Setting a password seemed to work just fine to kick-start the scheduled
> > backups. So thank you and Dave for that info. However, I have a new
> > question. To double check that it would run at the scheduled time, I
> > altered
> > the the scheduled time for the backup to run for a few minutes ahead of
> > the
> > current time. Again, the scheduled backup kicked on at the appropriate
> > time
> > and it stated it was mounting the volume. It did this for about 5-10
> > seconds
> > and then the screen went away whereas the initial scheduled backup showed
> > the
> > backup progress as well as the verification of files being backed-up. So
> > it
> > seems that the second attempt did not replace the original backup that I
> > made
> > before the second attempt, (I tried several variations after the second
> > attempt with the same results). Here is how I have the backup setup under
> > Job Summary: Normal Backup. Full Log. Verify Data. Use Hardware
> > Compression.
> > Do Not Restrict Access to owner or Administrator. Some File Types
> > excluded.
> > Replace Data on Media. Use Media Named 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at
> > 9:30PM'. Use media Name 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30pm'. Use set
> > description 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30 PM'.
> >
> > Now I have tried Using Copy Backup as well and that did nothing to change
> > the backups made after the first one. Any Thoughts on why this is?
> > Again,
> > it kicks on like it is starting the backup, but then just stops after
> > about
> > 10 seconds. You can see the access light go on for about 4-5 seconds and
> > that is it. What am I missing? Thanks for your time.
> >
> > Dave
>
> It's probably something to do with the removable storage manager. I must
> confess I've never really understood how RSM works and why it does things
> the way it does. That's why I just setup a cmd file and do unattended
> backups that way with ntbackup. The command line switches let you force
> ntbackup to work the way you want it to, not the way RSM wants to. For
> anything other than very basic backups you should be looking to 3rd party
> software.
>
> Kerry Brown
> KDB Systems

> Hey Kerry, Just wanted to report to you here. I looked back at your first
> reply and took the switch /um and placed it at the end of the command
> line.
> Worked like a charm. Now it backsup the folder and sub-contents evertime
> just fine. beautiful. Thanks again for your time. If you get a second,
> what does that switch mean? Oh well. Thanks for the help.

Glad you got it working. The command line switch reference can be found
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/ntbackup_command_line_parameters.asp

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

| Hey Dave,
|
| Setting a password seemed to work just fine to kick-start the scheduled
| backups. So thank you for that info. However, I have a new question. To
| double check that it would run at the scheduled time, I altered the the
| scheduled time for the backup to run for a few minutes ahead of the current
| time. Again, the scheduled backup kicked on at the appropriate time and it
| stated it was mounting the volume. It did this for about 5-10 seconds and
| then the screen went away? So it seems that it did not replace the original
| backup that I was made before the second attempt, (I tried several variations
| after the second attempt with the same results). Here is how I have the
| backup setup under Job Summary: Normal Backup. Full Log. Verify Data. Use
| Hardware Compression. Do Not Restrict Access to owner or Administrator. Some
| File Types excluded. Replace Data on Media. Use Media Named 'ALTABACKUP
| created 3/2/2005 at 9:30PM'. Use media Name 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at
| 9:30pm'. Use set description 'ALTABACKUP created 3/2/2005 at 9:30 PM'.
|
| Now I have tried Using Copy Backup as well and that did nothing to change
| the backups made after the first one. Any Thoughts on why this is? Again,
| it kicks on like it is starting the backup, but then just stops after about
| 10 seconds. You can see the access light go on for about 4-5 seconds and
| that is it. What am I missing? Thanks for your time.
|
| Dave

The fact that a submitted job worked manually but not in a scheduled task, was indicative of
not applying proper credentials to the scheduled job.

As for the new problem, get a real backup application. The stock backup software that comes
with NT Based OS's is limited in scope and functionality. Third party backup applications
have wider scope of abilities (including backup to CD and DVD media) and more control over
the job.

Otherwise you need to learn *all* the Command Line Switched for NTBACKUP.EXE and aluch a BAT
file tha calls NTBackup using switch parameters best suited to your needs.

--
Dave

TRENDING THREADS