Deleting user folder in Documents and Settings

I've reinstalled Windows XP but the old users' folders in C:\Documents and
Settings still remains and couldn't be deleted. They were previously password
protected but the users' pictures doesn't even appear in the Welcome screen.
Please help since they are taking up a lot of disk space.
5 answers Last reply
More about deleting user folder documents settings

    Duke647 wrote:

    > I've reinstalled Windows XP but the old users' folders in C:\Documents
    > and Settings still remains and couldn't be deleted. They were
    > previously password protected but the users' pictures doesn't even
    > appear in the Welcome screen. Please help since they are taking up a
    > lot of disk space.

    What happens when you log in using an account with administrative
    privileges and you go to the User Accounts applet and try to delete the
    old accounts? What is the text of the error message?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    There was no old accounts in the applet. That's why I can't delete it. But
    the user's folder are still in the Documents and Settings. When I tried to
    delete it, I get a message that goes something like "Access denied".

    Duke647 wrote:

    > There was no old accounts in the applet. That's why I can't delete it.
    > But the user's folder are still in the Documents and Settings. When I
    > tried to delete it, I get a message that goes something like "Access
    > denied".

    Then take ownership of the files and you'll be able to delete them:

    Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Malke
    --

    "Malke" wrote:
    > Then take ownership of the files and you'll be able to delete them:
    > Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"

    Hey, it worked! Thank you very much! I owe you this one.

    Duke647 wrote:

    > "Malke" wrote:
    >> Then take ownership of the files and you'll be able to delete them:
    >> Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic!"
    >
    > Hey, it worked! Thank you very much! I owe you this one.

    No problem; happy to help. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers