ati 9800se all-in wonder

I am currently in the process of upgrading my computers graphic
capabilties. I have replaced my old geforce 2mx with an ati 9800se
all-in-wonder.

When I switch on my computer, with the new card installed, the power
light at the front flashes and the fans begin to turn on both the
graphics card and the cpu......then the computer dies.

Why would this happen? Do I need a PSU with more power? I am using a
duron 700 processor and an old board.....is it likely to be
compatability issue? A bios issue?

As you can see, i am completely useless at building computers but i
continue to try. Any help or advice appreciated.

==============

I have plugged in the extra power supply.

I tryed running the computer with everything unpowered except my
graphics card and my primary hard drive and the same problem
persists. This indicates to me that the PSU is fine because surely
it should be able to power just 2 things (i am unsure about that
assumption).

Thanks for your help.....mcuh appreciated

==============

looks like il be forking out for a new motherboard

Cheers

==============

In article <412b0708$1_1@news.athenanews.com>,
C.H.A.Prentice@ncl.ac-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (dcprenti) wrote:

> I am using a duron 700 processor and an old board

Off the top of my head your AGP slot might not be able to power the new
card, causing all sorts of problems. The PSU might be another (separate)
issue. You *have* plugged in the extra power supply to the 9800se, I
assume? Easy one to forget... though in that case the PC would just sit
there with fans spinning and nothing on the screen (in my experience
anyway).

I'm sure someone will be along with some proper advice soon enough :)

Good luck.

Andrew McP

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:28 +0100 (BST),
andrew.mcp@DELETETHISdsl.pipex.com (Andrew MacPherson) waffled on
about something:

>In article <412b0708$1_1@news.athenanews.com>,
>C.H.A.Prentice@ncl.ac-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (dcprenti) wrote:
>
>> I am using a duron 700 processor and an old board
>
>Off the top of my head your AGP slot might not be able to power the new
>card, causing all sorts of problems. The PSU might be another (separate)
>issue. You *have* plugged in the extra power supply to the 9800se, I
>assume? Easy one to forget... though in that case the PC would just sit
>there with fans spinning and nothing on the screen (in my experience
>anyway).
>
>I'm sure someone will be along with some proper advice soon enough :)

I'm with you on the AGP theory.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

In article <412b2236$1_1@news.athenanews.com>,
C.H.A.Prentice@ncl.ac-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (dcprenti) wrote:

> This indicates to me that the PSU is fine

It does sound like your old motherboard won't support newer AGP cards.
Take a look at this link which I found on Google where someone's having
similar troubles (from the sound of it)...

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6239-0.html?forumID=56&threadID=156841

You ought to be able to find the manual for your motherboard online
somewhere (if you haven't got it there). You'll probably find you have a
3.3V AGP slot which won't handle the AGP 2.0 standard which means "recent"
cards want 1.5V instead... or something like that. We're straying out of
my area of expertise... assuming I actually *have* an area of expertise
;-)

Andrew McP

Your problem may be worse than that. Your attempt to use the
incompatible video card and motherboard combination MAY have damaged
either the [old] motherboard and/or the video card.