Disabling completely DOS programs

Solomon

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

How to disable completely all DOS programs/windows use?
I want to inactive CMD.EXE, COMMAND.COM, MSDOS.PIF, ...

What I did:
1. Add these programs to local and domain policies: "Don't run specified
Windows applications" and "Restrict these
programs from being launched from Help" and enable "Prevent access to the
command prompt".
2. Change security permissions to above programs.

But some users rename these programs and later execute them with other
names.

Do you know some effetive way to prevent completely DOS programs?

THANKS!

Solomon

Distinguished
May 9, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

FYI: Issue resolved.

1. Adding dword register key named disablecmd at
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system where
0 = Not Configured
1 = Disable CMD and BAT scripts
2 = Disable CMD but not BAT scripts
2. Changing NTVDM.EXE (windows\system32\) permissions. This file allows
compatibility with 16 bits applications (command.com, msdos.pif, ...)

---
"Solomon" <inteca@NOracsa.co.cr> wrote in message
> How to disable completely all DOS programs/windows use?
> I want to inactive CMD.EXE, COMMAND.COM, MSDOS.PIF, ...
>
> What I did:
> 1. Add these programs to local and domain policies: "Don't run specified
> Windows applications" and "Restrict these
> programs from being launched from Help" and enable "Prevent access to the
> command prompt".
> 2. Change security permissions to above programs.
>
> But some users rename these programs and later execute them with other
> names.
>
> Do you know some effetive way to prevent completely DOS programs?
>
> THANKS!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Solomon" <inteca@NOracsa.co.cr> wrote in message
> How to disable completely all DOS programs/windows use?
> I want to inactive CMD.EXE, COMMAND.COM, MSDOS.PIF, ...
>
> What I did:
> 1. Add these programs to local and domain policies: "Don't run specified
> Windows applications" and "Restrict these
> programs from being launched from Help" and enable "Prevent access to the
> command prompt".
> 2. Change security permissions to above programs.
>
> But some users rename these programs and later execute them with other
> names.
>
> Do you know some effetive way to prevent completely DOS programs?
>
> THANKS!

Why don't you try moving them out of harms way?