Stuttering - something that may help....

Last response: in Video Games
January 12, 2005 3:41:34 PM

Sorry if this is old news...

With the new patch I was still experiecing some stuttering but I read about
a guy who adjusted his "PCI Latency Timer" in the BIOS and it eliminated the
stuttering for him. The defualt setting is 64 which is where his and mine
were both set. When I set mine to 32, like he did, the stuttering vanihsed.
Even when I quick saved there was no stuttering. HL2 is running great now.

http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

Good luck,

Eric

More about : stuttering

January 12, 2005 3:41:35 PM

Maybe that's why I never had much of a problem with stuttering. My PCI
latency was already set to 32. It's the default setting for my Epox 8RDA+
motherboard.

DaveL

"Tocaor" <eshansen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Sorry if this is old news...
>
> With the new patch I was still experiecing some stuttering but I read
about
> a guy who adjusted his "PCI Latency Timer" in the BIOS and it eliminated
the
> stuttering for him. The defualt setting is 64 which is where his and mine
> were both set. When I set mine to 32, like he did, the stuttering
vanihsed.
> Even when I quick saved there was no stuttering. HL2 is running great now.
>
> http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
>
> Good luck,
>
> Eric

Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:28:59 PM

Mines default 32 and stutters like a son of a bitch.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:02:53 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Maybe that's why I never had much of a problem with stuttering. My PCI
>latency was already set to 32. It's the default setting for my Epox 8RDA+
>motherboard.
>
>DaveL
>

>"Tocaor" <eshansen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry if this is old news...
>>
>> With the new patch I was still experiecing some stuttering but I read
>about
>> a guy who adjusted his "PCI Latency Timer" in the BIOS and it eliminated
>the
>> stuttering for him. The defualt setting is 64 which is where his and mine
>> were both set. When I set mine to 32, like he did, the stuttering
>vanihsed.
>> Even when I quick saved there was no stuttering. HL2 is running great now.
>>
>> http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Eric

Related resources
January 13, 2005 10:29:00 PM

Try this as an autoexec.cfg:

mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
snd_async_fullyasync "1"

DaveL

"The Lonley one" <1@22322.com.uk> wrote in message

> Mines default 32 and stutters like a son of a bitch.
>

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:02:53 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Maybe that's why I never had much of a problem with stuttering. My PCI
> >latency was already set to 32. It's the default setting for my Epox
8RDA+
> >motherboard.
> >
> >DaveL
> >

> >"Tocaor" <eshansen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >> Sorry if this is old news...
> >>
> >> With the new patch I was still experiecing some stuttering but I read
> >about
> >> a guy who adjusted his "PCI Latency Timer" in the BIOS and it
eliminated
> >the
> >> stuttering for him. The defualt setting is 64 which is where his and
mine
> >> were both set. When I set mine to 32, like he did, the stuttering
> >vanihsed.
> >> Even when I quick saved there was no stuttering. HL2 is running great
now.

> >> http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
> >>
> >> Good luck,
> >>
> >> Eric

January 13, 2005 10:50:23 PM

DaveL wrote:
> Try this as an autoexec.cfg:
>
> mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
> snd_async_fullyasync "1"
>
> DaveL

DaveL,

What does this actually do? New patch has increased the damn stuttering
(on a quick look - haven't explored properly) but I like to know why I'm
doing something before I do it.... just old and cantankerous that way I
guess.

BTW - PCI latency already at 32.

Many thanks, Shaun

--
"valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
January 13, 2005 10:50:24 PM

The first line undoes the first unsuccessful Valve patch that only slowed
the frame rate down. The second does really help stuttering on many
systems. It has to do with the way sound is synced to the graphics. Try
it.

DaveL

> DaveL wrote:
> > Try this as an autoexec.cfg:
> >
> > mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
> > snd_async_fullyasync "1"
> >
> > DaveL
> >

> DaveL,
>
> What does this actually do? New patch has increased the damn stuttering
> (on a quick look - haven't explored properly) but I like to know why I'm
> doing something before I do it.... just old and cantankerous that way I
> guess.
>
> BTW - PCI latency already at 32.
>
> Many thanks, Shaun
>

> --
> "valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably
true)"

> Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 10:25:48 AM

"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Try this as an autoexec.cfg:
>
> mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
> snd_async_fullyasync "1"
>
> DaveL
----------------
Dave,
I have HL 2 but it is still in the box.
Is there a command line available in HL 2 where an autoexec type file can
be imbedded. Or .... how do you implement your "autoexec.cfg" command
lines?
Pardon me if this is a stupid question but I am new to this.
Don F
January 14, 2005 2:34:37 PM

DaveL wrote:
> The first line undoes the first unsuccessful Valve patch that only slowed
> the frame rate down. The second does really help stuttering on many
> systems. It has to do with the way sound is synced to the graphics. Try
> it.
>
> DaveL

Thanks Dave, an experiment for the weekend then. Shaun

--
how far would valve make you go so you could play hl2?
would you even sell your own mother to play hl2?????

ps: no disrespect to all wonderful mothers around the world but instead
complete despise for brainless gamers wanting to become valve's servants

Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
January 15, 2005 1:31:25 PM

If you have an autoexec.cfg file in the \cfg folder, HL2 automatically runs
it.

DaveL

!