Stuttering - something that may help....

Sorry if this is old news...

With the new patch I was still experiecing some stuttering but I read about
a guy who adjusted his "PCI Latency Timer" in the BIOS and it eliminated the
stuttering for him. The defualt setting is 64 which is where his and mine
were both set. When I set mine to 32, like he did, the stuttering vanihsed.
Even when I quick saved there was no stuttering. HL2 is running great now.

http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

Good luck,

Eric
8 answers Last reply
More about stuttering help

    Maybe that's why I never had much of a problem with stuttering. My PCI
    latency was already set to 32. It's the default setting for my Epox 8RDA+
    motherboard.

    DaveL

    "Tocaor" <eshansen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this is old news...
    >
    > With the new patch I was still experiecing some stuttering but I read
    about
    > a guy who adjusted his "PCI Latency Timer" in the BIOS and it eliminated
    the
    > stuttering for him. The defualt setting is 64 which is where his and mine
    > were both set. When I set mine to 32, like he did, the stuttering
    vanihsed.
    > Even when I quick saved there was no stuttering. HL2 is running great now.
    >
    > http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Eric

    Mines default 32 and stutters like a son of a bitch.

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:02:53 -0800, "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Maybe that's why I never had much of a problem with stuttering. My PCI
    >latency was already set to 32. It's the default setting for my Epox 8RDA+
    >motherboard.
    >
    >DaveL
    >

    >"Tocaor" <eshansen@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Sorry if this is old news...
    >>
    >> With the new patch I was still experiecing some stuttering but I read
    >about
    >> a guy who adjusted his "PCI Latency Timer" in the BIOS and it eliminated
    >the
    >> stuttering for him. The defualt setting is 64 which is where his and mine
    >> were both set. When I set mine to 32, like he did, the stuttering
    >vanihsed.
    >> Even when I quick saved there was no stuttering. HL2 is running great now.
    >>
    >> http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >>
    >> Eric

    Try this as an autoexec.cfg:

    mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
    snd_async_fullyasync "1"

    DaveL

    DaveL wrote:
    > Try this as an autoexec.cfg:
    >
    > mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
    > snd_async_fullyasync "1"
    >
    > DaveL

    DaveL,

    What does this actually do? New patch has increased the damn stuttering
    (on a quick look - haven't explored properly) but I like to know why I'm
    doing something before I do it.... just old and cantankerous that way I
    guess.

    BTW - PCI latency already at 32.

    Many thanks, Shaun

    --
    "valve = worshiping satan (this one is only speculation but probably true)"

    Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

    The first line undoes the first unsuccessful Valve patch that only slowed
    the frame rate down. The second does really help stuttering on many
    systems. It has to do with the way sound is synced to the graphics. Try
    it.

    DaveL

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Try this as an autoexec.cfg:
    >
    > mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
    > snd_async_fullyasync "1"
    >
    > DaveL
    ----------------
    Dave,
    I have HL 2 but it is still in the box.
    Is there a command line available in HL 2 where an autoexec type file can
    be imbedded. Or .... how do you implement your "autoexec.cfg" command
    lines?
    Pardon me if this is a stupid question but I am new to this.
    Don F

    DaveL wrote:
    > The first line undoes the first unsuccessful Valve patch that only slowed
    > the frame rate down. The second does really help stuttering on many
    > systems. It has to do with the way sound is synced to the graphics. Try
    > it.
    >
    > DaveL

    Thanks Dave, an experiment for the weekend then. Shaun

    --
    how far would valve make you go so you could play hl2?
    would you even sell your own mother to play hl2?????

    ps: no disrespect to all wonderful mothers around the world but instead
    complete despise for brainless gamers wanting to become valve's servants

    Difool in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

    If you have an autoexec.cfg file in the \cfg folder, HL2 automatically runs
    it.

    DaveL

    "Don Farias" <donf11@NOSPAMhome.com> wrote in message

    > "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Try this as an autoexec.cfg:
    >>
    >> mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware "0"
    >> snd_async_fullyasync "1"
    >>
    >> DaveL
    > Dave,
    > I have HL 2 but it is still in the box.
    > Is there a command line available in HL 2 where an autoexec type file
    > can be imbedded. Or .... how do you implement your "autoexec.cfg" command
    > lines?
    > Pardon me if this is a stupid question but I am new to this.
    > Don F

Video Games