ATI and Sapphire 9800pro warranty

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2004 3:08:45 PM

Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks ago.
Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an RMA#
and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning, not
fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have to
give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers are
also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the time
(and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't offer
to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say they'll
do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.

Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking good.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Went through the same thing recently with a Sapphire 9600XT bought in
Feb. ATI said Sapphire was liable, Sapphire said send it to ATI. Newegg
sent an RMA number and replaced the board quickly even though I had
replaced the stock cooling fan with an Artic Silencer and wasn't real
careful putting the original back on to ship to Newegg.

Anyway, try the seller. You might get lucky. Can't say enough good
things about Newegg.

GTX_SlotCar wrote:
> Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks ago.
> Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an RMA#
> and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning, not
> fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have to
> give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers are
> also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the time
> (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't offer
> to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say they'll
> do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
> board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
>
> Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking good.
>
> Gary

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 7:26:54 PM

Yes. I remember something about this. Did you post it before?
I bought the card from Newegg the day they started the price drops, then
hopped over to this newsgroup to let everyone know about the new pricing.
I took off my Silencer, but left the ramsinks on. It's a profession looking
job and the board looks perfect. The ramsinks I used even match the single
little black HS already on the 9800Pro.
I was excited this morning when my package came back from ATI. I saw that it
was my original card, and I really like the ramsinks I put on. You can
imagine my disappointment when I read the packing list.
I don't expect much satisfaction from Sapphire (maybe I'll be surprised),
but your last post about Newegg taking care of it had kept my hopes alive
that there may still be a good outcome to this.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

"Airman QPD" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Went through the same thing recently with a Sapphire 9600XT bought in
> Feb. ATI said Sapphire was liable, Sapphire said send it to ATI. Newegg
> sent an RMA number and replaced the board quickly even though I had
> replaced the stock cooling fan with an Artic Silencer and wasn't real
> careful putting the original back on to ship to Newegg.
>
> Anyway, try the seller. You might get lucky. Can't say enough good
> things about Newegg.
>
> GTX_SlotCar wrote:
> > Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks
ago.
> > Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an
RMA#
> > and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning,
not
> > fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have
> > give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers
are
> > also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the
time
> > (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't
offer
> > to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say
they'll
> > do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
> > board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
> >
> > Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking
good.

> > Gary

August 24, 2004 8:55:04 PM

yeah, i tried taking my 84 chevy nova to the toyota dealer, cause it had a
toyota engine and parts, but they told me i had to go to chevy!!

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks ago.
> Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an
> RMA#
> and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning,
> not
> fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have
> give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers are
> also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the
> time
> (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't
> offer
> to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say
> they'll
> do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
> board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
>
> Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking good.
>
> Gary
>

> --
> Tweaks & Reviews
> www.slottweak.com

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 8:55:05 PM

"Jamco" <Homer@jamcojams.com> wrote in message
> yeah, i tried taking my 84 chevy nova to the toyota dealer, cause it had a
> toyota engine and parts, but they told me i had to go to chevy!!

And I suppose Chevy sent you back to Toyota to fix the Toyota engine?

These Sapphire cards are ATI oem products. They're built for ATI by
Sapphire. They say 'built by ati' and have no Sapphire markings on them.
When you look up the part # on ati's site, it's there. Before issuing an
rma#, ati checks your serial# and part#. Why not just refuse the rma # ?

I'm sure sending it to Sapphire will be a 2 month ordeal. I was hoping to
put it in my kids' computer to replace their Ti4400. I bought an eVGA 6800GT
and it's working fine so far. We'll see what happens.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Another comparison would be to take a 2003 Pontiac Vibe to Toyota for
warranty work at Toyota since their Matrix is basically the same. I am sure
90% of the part numbers would be the same between the two vehicles so why
not eh!?

"Jamco" <Homer@jamcojams.com> wrote in message
> yeah, i tried taking my 84 chevy nova to the toyota dealer, cause it had a
> toyota engine and parts, but they told me i had to go to chevy!!
>
> "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks
ago.
> > Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an
> > RMA#
> > and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning,
> > not
> > fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have
> > give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers
are
> > also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the
> > time
> > (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't
> > offer
> > to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say
> > they'll
> > do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
> > board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
> >
> > Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking
good.

> > Gary
> >

> > --
> > Tweaks & Reviews
> > www.slottweak.com

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:40:46 PM

"JD" <forsaleatroadwormdotcom@readthefirstpart.com> wrote in message
> Another comparison would be to take a 2003 Pontiac Vibe to Toyota for
> warranty work at Toyota since their Matrix is basically the same.
Well, except the car isn't labeled "Toyota".
The right comparison would be that I take my Vibe to Pontiac and they tell
me to take it to Toyota. Or, in this case, refuse to fix it after saying
they would, but don't tell me to take it anywhere.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Newegg just issued me an RMA #. I'll send it in and keep my fingers crossed.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Toyota service and customer care is just as shitty, and I wouldn't be
surprised if the parts are more expensive there...

"Jamco" <Homer@jamcojams.com> wrote in message
> yeah, i tried taking my 84 chevy nova to the toyota dealer, cause it had a
> toyota engine and parts, but they told me i had to go to chevy!!
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:11:45 PM

"Airman QPD" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Went through the same thing recently with a Sapphire 9600XT bought in
> Feb. ATI said Sapphire was liable, Sapphire said send it to ATI. Newegg
> sent an RMA number and replaced the board quickly even though I had
> replaced the stock cooling fan with an Artic Silencer and wasn't real
> careful putting the original back on to ship to Newegg.

I'm seeing a lot of ATI based cards going back for RMA... I'm starting to
notice that many had one of those VGA Silencers on them. My own card started
acting up a week after I put the Silencer on my card and it's normal again
now that the original sink is back.

If anyone has had their ATI card fail, can you post here and let us know if
you had changed the heatsink???
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:11:46 PM

> I'm seeing a lot of ATI based cards going back for RMA... I'm starting to
> notice that many had one of those VGA Silencers on them.

I've noticed the same thing, and I had one on mine. My GPU wasn't cracked,
but I wonder if that bracket on the bottom of the card is doing some damage.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

"GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
> Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks
> ago.
> Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an
> RMA#
> and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this
> morning, not
> fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You
> have to
> give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers
> are
> also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me
> the time
> (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't
> offer
> to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say
> they'll
> do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note
> "modified
> board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
>
> Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking
> good.

How did you attach the ramsinks?
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 4:35:34 AM

"Sam Higgins" <SamHiggins2@Hotmail.com> wrote
> How did you attach the ramsinks?
Arctic Silver adhesive mixed 50/50 with AS5. Neither is electrically
conductive. The theory is the adhesive holds, but they can be removed if you
have to. I figured I was still better off leaving them on.

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

my Sapphire card died and it took 6 weeks to get another one. I know I will
never buy "powered by ATI" cards ever again, I'll just pay extra for an ATI
card
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 5:32:08 AM

Did you ever have a VGA Silencer on it, Mike?

Gary

--

Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com