ATI and Sapphire 9800pro warranty

Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks ago.
Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an RMA#
and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning, not
fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have to
give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers are
also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the time
(and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't offer
to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say they'll
do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.

Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking good.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

    Went through the same thing recently with a Sapphire 9600XT bought in
    Feb. ATI said Sapphire was liable, Sapphire said send it to ATI. Newegg
    sent an RMA number and replaced the board quickly even though I had
    replaced the stock cooling fan with an Artic Silencer and wasn't real
    careful putting the original back on to ship to Newegg.

    Anyway, try the seller. You might get lucky. Can't say enough good
    things about Newegg.

    GTX_SlotCar wrote:
    > Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks ago.
    > Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an RMA#
    > and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning, not
    > fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have to
    > give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers are
    > also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the time
    > (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't offer
    > to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say they'll
    > do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
    > board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
    >
    > Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking good.
    >
    > Gary

    Yes. I remember something about this. Did you post it before?
    I bought the card from Newegg the day they started the price drops, then
    hopped over to this newsgroup to let everyone know about the new pricing.
    I took off my Silencer, but left the ramsinks on. It's a profession looking
    job and the board looks perfect. The ramsinks I used even match the single
    little black HS already on the 9800Pro.
    I was excited this morning when my package came back from ATI. I saw that it
    was my original card, and I really like the ramsinks I put on. You can
    imagine my disappointment when I read the packing list.
    I don't expect much satisfaction from Sapphire (maybe I'll be surprised),
    but your last post about Newegg taking care of it had kept my hopes alive
    that there may still be a good outcome to this.

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    "Airman QPD" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Went through the same thing recently with a Sapphire 9600XT bought in
    > Feb. ATI said Sapphire was liable, Sapphire said send it to ATI. Newegg
    > sent an RMA number and replaced the board quickly even though I had
    > replaced the stock cooling fan with an Artic Silencer and wasn't real
    > careful putting the original back on to ship to Newegg.
    >
    > Anyway, try the seller. You might get lucky. Can't say enough good
    > things about Newegg.
    >
    > GTX_SlotCar wrote:
    > > Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks
    ago.
    > > Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an
    RMA#
    > > and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this morning,
    not
    > > fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You have
    > > give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers
    are
    > > also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me the
    time
    > > (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't
    offer
    > > to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say
    they'll
    > > do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note "modified
    > > board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
    > >
    > > Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking
    good.

    > > Gary

    yeah, i tried taking my 84 chevy nova to the toyota dealer, cause it had a
    toyota engine and parts, but they told me i had to go to chevy!!

    "Jamco" <Homer@jamcojams.com> wrote in message
    > yeah, i tried taking my 84 chevy nova to the toyota dealer, cause it had a
    > toyota engine and parts, but they told me i had to go to chevy!!

    And I suppose Chevy sent you back to Toyota to fix the Toyota engine?

    These Sapphire cards are ATI oem products. They're built for ATI by
    Sapphire. They say 'built by ati' and have no Sapphire markings on them.
    When you look up the part # on ati's site, it's there. Before issuing an
    rma#, ati checks your serial# and part#. Why not just refuse the rma # ?

    I'm sure sending it to Sapphire will be a 2 month ordeal. I was hoping to
    put it in my kids' computer to replace their Ti4400. I bought an eVGA 6800GT
    and it's working fine so far. We'll see what happens.

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    Another comparison would be to take a 2003 Pontiac Vibe to Toyota for
    warranty work at Toyota since their Matrix is basically the same. I am sure
    90% of the part numbers would be the same between the two vehicles so why
    not eh!?

    "JD" <forsaleatroadwormdotcom@readthefirstpart.com> wrote in message
    > Another comparison would be to take a 2003 Pontiac Vibe to Toyota for
    > warranty work at Toyota since their Matrix is basically the same.
    Well, except the car isn't labeled "Toyota".
    The right comparison would be that I take my Vibe to Pontiac and they tell
    me to take it to Toyota. Or, in this case, refuse to fix it after saying
    they would, but don't tell me to take it anywhere.

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    Newegg just issued me an RMA #. I'll send it in and keep my fingers crossed.

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    Toyota service and customer care is just as shitty, and I wouldn't be
    surprised if the parts are more expensive there...

    "Jamco" <Homer@jamcojams.com> wrote in message
    > yeah, i tried taking my 84 chevy nova to the toyota dealer, cause it had a
    > toyota engine and parts, but they told me i had to go to chevy!!

    "Airman QPD" <airman_basic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Went through the same thing recently with a Sapphire 9600XT bought in
    > Feb. ATI said Sapphire was liable, Sapphire said send it to ATI. Newegg
    > sent an RMA number and replaced the board quickly even though I had
    > replaced the stock cooling fan with an Artic Silencer and wasn't real
    > careful putting the original back on to ship to Newegg.

    I'm seeing a lot of ATI based cards going back for RMA... I'm starting to
    notice that many had one of those VGA Silencers on them. My own card started
    acting up a week after I put the Silencer on my card and it's normal again
    now that the original sink is back.

    If anyone has had their ATI card fail, can you post here and let us know if
    you had changed the heatsink???

    > I'm seeing a lot of ATI based cards going back for RMA... I'm starting to
    > notice that many had one of those VGA Silencers on them.

    I've noticed the same thing, and I had one on mine. My GPU wasn't cracked,
    but I wonder if that bracket on the bottom of the card is doing some damage.

    Gary

    --
    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    "GTX_SlotCar" <deroy@maine.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Recap: the Sapphire 9800Pro I bought in Jan/Feb died a couple weeks
    > ago.
    > Since it had an ATI part number (listed on their site), I requested an
    > RMA#
    > and received it 15 minutes later. I just got the card back this
    > morning, not
    > fixed. The note that came with it said it wasn't their product. You
    > have to
    > give them the serial and part numbers to get the RMA, and the numbers
    > are
    > also listed on their site. It really seems they could have saved me
    > the time
    > (and 10 bucks) and not issued the RMA in the first place. They didn't
    > offer
    > to fix it "out of warranty" either (for $75) which is what they say
    > they'll
    > do on their web site. Oh, they also marked the top of the note
    > "modified
    > board" because of the ramsinks I had installed.
    >
    > Well, now I'll try Sapphire and see what happens. This isn't looking
    > good.

    How did you attach the ramsinks?

    "Sam Higgins" <SamHiggins2@Hotmail.com> wrote
    > How did you attach the ramsinks?
    Arctic Silver adhesive mixed 50/50 with AS5. Neither is electrically
    conductive. The theory is the adhesive holds, but they can be removed if you
    have to. I figured I was still better off leaving them on.

    Gary

    --

    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    my Sapphire card died and it took 6 weeks to get another one. I know I will
    never buy "powered by ATI" cards ever again, I'll just pay extra for an ATI
    card
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Did you ever have a VGA Silencer on it, Mike?

    Gary

    --

    Tweaks & Reviews
    www.slottweak.com

    "Mike" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
    > my Sapphire card died and it took 6 weeks to get another one. I know I
    will
    > never buy "powered by ATI" cards ever again, I'll just pay extra for an
    ATI
    > card

Radeon Sapphire ATI Graphics