"Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator."

a b 8 Security
March 3, 2005 5:11:08 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite. XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1. When logged on,
with account set for Administrator, whenever I Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task Manager
won't come up, instead I get the message in the above subject. Right-click
on toolbar, and Task Manager is greyed out. Also, located taskmgr.exe,
checked properties, and it doesn't have a Security tab.

Since I am using the Administrator account, how do I re-enable Task Manager??

I didn't disable, although I am not the only one who uses this computer. But
others have said they didn't disable either.
One note: I was able to create another administrator account, and Task
Manager was available in the new account.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2005 5:37:05 PM

Im not sure if this will work, but try putting the taskmgr.exe from the
account that works on a floppy/cd/flashdisk, and replace the one on the other
account.

This probably won't work, since both accounts SHOULD be accessing the same
file, but its worth a shot.

-m3

"ddtcato" wrote:

> I have a Toshiba Satellite. XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1. When logged on,
> with account set for Administrator, whenever I Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task Manager
> won't come up, instead I get the message in the above subject. Right-click
> on toolbar, and Task Manager is greyed out. Also, located taskmgr.exe,
> checked properties, and it doesn't have a Security tab.
>
> Since I am using the Administrator account, how do I re-enable Task Manager??
>
> I didn't disable, although I am not the only one who uses this computer. But
> others have said they didn't disable either.
> One note: I was able to create another administrator account, and Task
> Manager was available in the new account.
a b 8 Security
March 3, 2005 7:52:49 PM

Enable or Disable Task Manager for the Current User
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"ddtcato" wrote:

| I have a Toshiba Satellite. XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1. When logged on,
| with account set for Administrator, whenever I Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task Manager
| won't come up, instead I get the message in the above subject. Right-click
| on toolbar, and Task Manager is greyed out. Also, located taskmgr.exe,
| checked properties, and it doesn't have a Security tab.
|
| Since I am using the Administrator account, how do I re-enable Task Manager??
|
| I didn't disable, although I am not the only one who uses this computer. But
| others have said they didn't disable either.
| One note: I was able to create another administrator account, and Task
| Manager was available in the new account.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 4, 2005 8:12:10 PM

The utility works like a dream
'Carey Frisch [MVP Wrote:
> ']Enable or Disable Task Manager for the Current User
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_taskmgrenab.htm
>
> [Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://tinyurl.com/4n7kv

> "ddtcato" wrote:
>
> | I have a Toshiba Satellite. XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1. When
> logged on,
> | with account set for Administrator, whenever I Ctrl-Alt-Del, Task
> Manager
> | won't come up, instead I get the message in the above subject.
> Right-click
> | on toolbar, and Task Manager is greyed out. Also, located
> taskmgr.exe,
> | checked properties, and it doesn't have a Security tab.
> |
> | Since I am using the Administrator account, how do I re-enable Task
> Manager??
> |
> | I didn't disable, although I am not the only one who uses this
> computer. But
> | others have said they didn't disable either.
> | One note: I was able to create another administrator account, and
> Task
> | Manager was available in the new account.

--
dandelion
!