Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP SP2 install

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 6:07:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Microsoft has said that as of April 12, 2005 you will no longer be able to
block SP2 from your machine.....does this mean that it will be downloaded to
your machine, but you will have to install the update, or does it download
and install automatically?

In other words, can you just have AU pull SP2 back, then just sit on it
without installing it?

More about : windows sp2 install

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 7:37:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

When did Microsoft say "Microsoft has said that as of April 12, 2005 you
will no longer be able to block SP2 from your machine"
Please post the source for this misinformation.

If you have AU enabled, you will get SP-2.
If AU is disabled and you do not install SP-2 manually, you will not get
SP-2.
Exactly the same as all other updates.

This can help answer the questions also:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/forcesp2.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/


"stevenk2@juno.com" <stevenk2@juno.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:EAFC7E9B-993F-4380-B50F-75DDD94DB434@microsoft.com...
> Microsoft has said that as of April 12, 2005 you will no longer be able to
> block SP2 from your machine.....does this mean that it will be downloaded
> to
> your machine, but you will have to install the update, or does it download
> and install automatically?
>
> In other words, can you just have AU pull SP2 back, then just sit on it
> without installing it?
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I thank microsoft for service pack 2. I wouldn't run my system without it. To
think were in the wagon and wheel era (WOW)

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> When did Microsoft say "Microsoft has said that as of April 12, 2005 you
> will no longer be able to block SP2 from your machine"
> Please post the source for this misinformation.
>
> If you have AU enabled, you will get SP-2.
> If AU is disabled and you do not install SP-2 manually, you will not get
> SP-2.
> Exactly the same as all other updates.
>
> This can help answer the questions also:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/forcesp2.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>
>
> "stevenk2@juno.com" <stevenk2@juno.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:EAFC7E9B-993F-4380-B50F-75DDD94DB434@microsoft.com...
> > Microsoft has said that as of April 12, 2005 you will no longer be able to
> > block SP2 from your machine.....does this mean that it will be downloaded
> > to
> > your machine, but you will have to install the update, or does it download
> > and install automatically?
> >
> > In other words, can you just have AU pull SP2 back, then just sit on it
> > without installing it?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:30:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

'Jupiter Jones [MVP Wrote:
> ']When did Microsoft say "Microsoft has said that as of April 12, 2005
> you
> will no longer be able to block SP2 from your machine"
> Please post the source for this misinformation.
>
> If you have AU enabled, you will get SP-2.
> If AU is disabled and you do not install SP-2 manually, you will not
> get
> SP-2.
> Exactly the same as all other updates.
>
> This can help answer the questions also:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/forcesp2.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>
>
> "stevenk2@juno.com" stevenk2@juno.com@discussions.microsoft.com wrote
> in
> message news:EAFC7E9B-993F-4380-B50F-75DDD94DB434@microsoft.com...-
> Microsoft has said that as of April 12, 2005 you will no longer be
> able to
> block SP2 from your machine.....does this mean that it will be
> downloaded
> to
> your machine, but you will have to install the update, or does it
> download
> and install automatically?
>
> In other words, can you just have AU pull SP2 back, then just sit on
> it
> without installing it?-

I think he's talking about the blocking program from MS for the pro
version.
"Please click on this link to postpone delivery of a software update to
your computer until your IT organization has tested the update and
certified it for installation on your computer:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33518"
Treeman


--
Treeman
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:30:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Probably, that is the article referenced in the link provided.
It applies to the Home version as well as Pro.

In any case, nothing there states SP-2 will be installed on all computers.
SP-2 can be easily prevented just as any other update.
See the link on my last post.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/


"Treeman" <Treeman.1lctpp@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
> I think he's talking about the blocking program from MS for the pro
> version.
> "Please click on this link to postpone delivery of a software update to
> your computer until your IT organization has tested the update and
> certified it for installation on your computer:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=33518"
> Treeman
>
>
> --
> Treeman
!