Add permissions from Recovery Console?

Hi,

I had changed permissions as administrator. When the computer was
writing these changes, it lost power. Upon restart, it would keep
rebooting. I attempted to use the repair feature of the XP PRO install
disk but got a message that it could not copy NTLDR nor NTDETECT.COM.
Naturally, the message I got on the next reboot was "NTLDR missing hit
ctrl alt del" to restart.

I used the install disk again, activating the Recovery Console choice
and logging in with the administrator password which was accepted. At
the command prompt, I attempted to copy NTLDR to the root from the i386
folder. The message said access denied. I tried copying it from i386 on
the cd with the same message. After trying to copy files from one
directory to another, I discovered that I could copy from any folder to
any folder except to and from the root (I can get a directory of the
root and see all the files). My suspicion is that the root of C now has
no permissions set to access it.

My problem is that I have way too many valuable files and programs
(some not yet backed up) to just reformat the drive and reinstall XP
Pro fresh. Is it possible to reset/bypass permissions to allow me to
restore these files using commands at the prompt or using third party
software? I do not have an automated system recovery disk.

Thanks for your attention.

------Jake
1 answer Last reply
More about permissions recovery console

    There are several non-Microsoft recovery options to recover files. The best
    is probably a "Bart's PE builder" bootable CD, which is made on another
    computer running XP. Bart's has native support for NTFS files, since it is
    made from XP. Bart's is a small download, but it requires an XP CDROM, with
    SP-1 or SP-2 included, or a slipstreamed CD with SP-1 or SP-2. It makes an
    ISO file that you need to burn to CD via somehting like Nero or Easy CD
    Creator using a "burn from file" option. Do not simply copy the file to CD.

    The latest version of KNOPPIX, can also access XP files. It uses something
    called "captive NTFS". KNOPPIX is a variaiton of LINUX, but feels a lot
    like windows. KNOPPIX comes complete, but it is a very large download,
    about 700 MB. It comes as an ISO, and like Bart's must be transfered to CD
    by a program that can burn from an image or file.

    Both Bart's and KNOPPIX recognize external USB and firewire drives, but they
    need to be plugged in before booting.

    Both are free.

    Here are the links:

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/index.php?p=1

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

    "jake" <jbond007@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had changed permissions as administrator. When the computer was
    > writing these changes, it lost power. Upon restart, it would keep
    > rebooting. I attempted to use the repair feature of the XP PRO install
    > disk but got a message that it could not copy NTLDR nor NTDETECT.COM.
    > Naturally, the message I got on the next reboot was "NTLDR missing hit
    > ctrl alt del" to restart.
    >
    > I used the install disk again, activating the Recovery Console choice
    > and logging in with the administrator password which was accepted. At
    > the command prompt, I attempted to copy NTLDR to the root from the i386
    > folder. The message said access denied. I tried copying it from i386 on
    > the cd with the same message. After trying to copy files from one
    > directory to another, I discovered that I could copy from any folder to
    > any folder except to and from the root (I can get a directory of the
    > root and see all the files). My suspicion is that the root of C now has
    > no permissions set to access it.
    >
    > My problem is that I have way too many valuable files and programs
    > (some not yet backed up) to just reformat the drive and reinstall XP
    > Pro fresh. Is it possible to reset/bypass permissions to allow me to
    > restore these files using commands at the prompt or using third party
    > software? I do not have an automated system recovery disk.
    >
    > Thanks for your attention.
    >

    > ------Jake

Recovery Console Permissions Windows XP