User running just one program as Admin? Can it be done?

I have a kid who is set up as a User on an XP (home) machine. He is not
Admin to avoid download and install of games/spyware/RATs etc. He does not
know the Admin password.

One game requires him to be Admin to run. Won't work as a User.

One way is to use RunAs, but an Admin has to run it for him each
time (remember he doesn't know the password).

How do I create an icon with the Admin and password embedded in a command
line to avoid having to run this program for him using RunAs???? Or anything
else? Any other way????

How does the /savecred switch work (too bad its disabled anyway on a XP Home
machine).

Any ideas welcome.

David
9 answers Last reply
More about user running program admin done

    David wrote:
    > I have a kid who is set up as a User on an XP (home) machine. He is not
    > Admin to avoid download and install of games/spyware/RATs etc. He does not
    > know the Admin password.
    >
    > One game requires him to be Admin to run. Won't work as a User.
    >
    > One way is to use RunAs, but an Admin has to run it for him each
    > time (remember he doesn't know the password).
    >
    > How do I create an icon with the Admin and password embedded in a command
    > line to avoid having to run this program for him using RunAs???? Or anything
    > else? Any other way????
    >
    > How does the /savecred switch work (too bad its disabled anyway on a XP Home
    > machine).
    >
    > Any ideas welcome.
    >
    > David

    This is quite common if the software was designed for Win9x/Me, or
    if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly designed. Quite
    simply, the installation routine for this application doesn't "know"
    how to handle individual user profiles, or the application tries to
    make changes to "off-limits" sections of the registry. Quite often,
    you can make this software available to other users by _copying_ the
    Start Menu folder and Desktop folder shortcuts from the user profile
    from which the software was installed in the corresponding folders in
    the user profile(s) in which you'd like the software to be accessible.
    If the application is something that can/should be made available to
    all current and future users, copying the shortcuts into the
    corresponding locations of the All Users profile will do the trick.

    For some obscure reason, game developers in particular seem to not
    understand WinXP's file security paradigm, and require even limited
    users to have unnecessarily high privileges to protected systems
    folders. For example, saved games are often stored in a sub-folder
    under the game's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should have write permissions.

    NOTE: This may not work if the software requires access to parts
    of the hard drive and/or registry that are not normally accessible to
    regular users. (This won't occur if the application was properly
    written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're left
    with two options: Either grant the necessary users appropriate higher
    access privileges (either as Power Users or local administrators), or
    replace the application with one that was properly designed
    specifically for WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi David,

    Thanks for your post.

    I understand that you want to create an icon with the Admin and password
    embedded in a command line to avoid having to run this program for him
    using RunAs. If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to let
    me know.

    Based on my experience, you can fulfill the function by writing a cmd file.
    Please perform the following steps:

    1. Open a notepad.exe
    2. Write the RunAs command in the notepad
    3. Save it as *.cmd file

    Then the kid can run this file whenever he wants to play the game.

    Hope that helps.

    Thanks & Regards

    Amanda Wang [MSFT]

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Hi Amanda,
    I'm trying to do this similiar thing.
    I have a software that I want a 'user' with limited access to run.
    I installed the software under my admin account. Then dragged the shortcut
    to her profile folder. When I log in as her.. i double click on the programs
    icon.. but it says USER DOES NOT HAVE DELETE PRIVELDGES.. blah bla blah

    can you give more details on that .cmd advice you posted
    thanks :)

    "Amanda Wang [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hi David,
    >
    > Thanks for your post.
    >
    > I understand that you want to create an icon with the Admin and password
    > embedded in a command line to avoid having to run this program for him
    > using RunAs. If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to let
    > me know.
    >
    > Based on my experience, you can fulfill the function by writing a cmd file.
    > Please perform the following steps:
    >
    > 1. Open a notepad.exe
    > 2. Write the RunAs command in the notepad
    > 3. Save it as *.cmd file
    >
    > Then the kid can run this file whenever he wants to play the game.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards
    >
    > Amanda Wang [MSFT]
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    ohhh one more thing.. i'm using winxp pro i believe it's service pack 1

    do i have any other options.. to accomplish this..
    this is all new to me..

    "AJS and new to XP" wrote:

    > Hi Amanda,
    > I'm trying to do this similiar thing.
    > I have a software that I want a 'user' with limited access to run.
    > I installed the software under my admin account. Then dragged the shortcut
    > to her profile folder. When I log in as her.. i double click on the programs
    > icon.. but it says USER DOES NOT HAVE DELETE PRIVELDGES.. blah bla blah
    >
    > can you give more details on that .cmd advice you posted
    > thanks :)
    >

    > "Amanda Wang [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi David,
    > >
    > > Thanks for your post.
    > >
    > > I understand that you want to create an icon with the Admin and password
    > > embedded in a command line to avoid having to run this program for him
    > > using RunAs. If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to let
    > > me know.
    > >
    > > Based on my experience, you can fulfill the function by writing a cmd file.
    > > Please perform the following steps:
    > >
    > > 1. Open a notepad.exe
    > > 2. Write the RunAs command in the notepad
    > > 3. Save it as *.cmd file
    > >
    > > Then the kid can run this file whenever he wants to play the game.
    > >
    > > Hope that helps.
    > >
    > > Thanks & Regards
    > >
    > > Amanda Wang [MSFT]
    > >
    > > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > >
    > > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

    > > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    > > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > >
    > > =====================================================================

    Sounds perfect, but if you look up RunAs either on M'softs KB or Help (much
    more info) there is no way to put the password in the cmd line. How would
    you do it?

    Remember its on "Home" also.

    Please help.

    David

    "Amanda Wang [MSFT]" <v-amanwa@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi David,
    >
    > Thanks for your post.
    >
    > I understand that you want to create an icon with the Admin and password
    > embedded in a command line to avoid having to run this program for him
    > using RunAs. If I have misunderstood your concern, please feel free to
    > let
    > me know.
    >
    > Based on my experience, you can fulfill the function by writing a cmd
    > file.
    > Please perform the following steps:
    >
    > 1. Open a notepad.exe
    > 2. Write the RunAs command in the notepad
    > 3. Save it as *.cmd file
    >
    > Then the kid can run this file whenever he wants to play the game.
    >
    > Hope that helps.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards
    >
    > Amanda Wang [MSFT]
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Hi David,

    Thanks for your update and let me note the problem that we cannot put the
    password in the cmd line.

    For the current situtation, there is no method except using the original
    way to RunAs by Admin each time and enter the password every time. It is
    by design because considering the security of the system. Also I have
    tested by using a cmd line in my side but failed.

    Maybe you can contact the game software manufacture to see if they have
    some good methods to resolve the issue.

    Thanks for your time and effort on this issue.

    David wrote:

    > Sounds perfect, but if you look up RunAs either on M'softs KB
    > or Help (much more info) there is no way to put the password
    > in the cmd line. How would you do it?
    Hi

    Different RunAs products that supports the password as part of the
    command listed here, some with encryption option for the password:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FE0B42C.773CA875%40hydro.com

    Another one not mentioned in the link above:

    SUperior SU
    http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/main.php3

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Sounds perfect, but if you look up RunAs either on M'softs KB
    >> or Help (much more info) there is no way to put the password
    >> in the cmd line. How would you do it?
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Different RunAs products that supports the password as part of the
    > command listed here, some with encryption option for the password:
    >
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=3FE0B42C.773CA875%40hydro.com
    >
    > Another one not mentioned in the link above:
    >
    > SUperior SU
    > http://www.stefan-kuhr.de/supsu/main.php3
    Hi

    And one more:

    LSrunas/LSrunasE (the latter with password encryption)
    http://www.lansweeper.com/ls/lsrunas.aspx

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    > David wrote:
    > > I have a kid who is set up as a User on an XP (home) machine. He is not
    > > Admin to avoid download and install of games/spyware/RATs etc. He does not
    > > know the Admin password.
    > >
    > > One game requires him to be Admin to run. Won't work as a User.
    > >
    > > One way is to use RunAs, but an Admin has to run it for him each
    > > time (remember he doesn't know the password).

    Hi David,
    runasspc do what you want. It is very simple to use. You can crypt the
    password or run it directly

    www.robotronic.de/runasspc.html

Windows XP