May 24, 2011 12:50:36 PM

Hi there,

Are there amateur tennis in the area?

Who's your favorite to win this year?

Nadal?
Djokovic?
Federer?

Bets are on !

(not really a "team sport" but i didn't know where to place it)
May 24, 2011 2:20:08 PM

It is in the case of the Davis Cup.

:) 

Djokovic or Garros maybe ...

May 24, 2011 10:40:03 PM

Djokovic has been on a bit of a streak this year. He'll be darn tough to beat.
May 26, 2011 1:30:40 AM

agreed with djokivc
federer is old for a grand slam contender but nadal should have a few more in the future
dave
May 26, 2011 6:22:37 AM

Nobody is OLD at 30 y.o !

Djoko has a great chance, but he'll play Del Potro on next game.
Nadal has crappened on during his match against Isner
We may see great plays!

I think this tournament is very "open" to challengers.
May 27, 2011 12:14:07 AM

gropouce said:
Nobody is OLD at 30 y.o ! http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/icones/redface.gif

Djoko has a great chance, but he'll play Del Potro on next game.
Nadal has crappened on during his match against Isner
We may see great plays!

I think this tournament is very "open" to challengers.

Agreed with nobody is old at 30 but professional tennis players seem to have a limited shelf life at the highest level. Bjorn Borg retired at 26 didn't he? Not like pro golfers who usually peak in their 30's. Anyway, I also agree with the very open at this tournament statement as there seems to be a changing of the guard at the top. And there are exceptions, Andre Agassi and Jimmy Connors won Grand Slams in their 30s. And I'm in my 50's so I am old. :) 
Dave
May 27, 2011 1:10:33 AM

I concur. No one is "old" in their 30's, but when it comes to pro athletes, especially in tennis, it's rare to find anyone who can continue to play at a high level and win, much less.
May 27, 2011 1:47:45 AM

buwish said:
I concur. No one is "old" in their 30's, but when it comes to pro athletes, especially in tennis, it's rare to find anyone who can continue to play at a high level and win, much less.

And NFL running backs. :) 
Dave

The 2 Borg McEnroe finals at Wimbledon in the early 80's were the best tennis matches I ever watched. Thats when I got into pro tennis. Can't get any better IMHO.
May 27, 2011 5:49:03 AM

Very true. NFL running backs have a short shelf life with the way the game is played today (and in the past, to a degree). They are just beaten down so much to the point where they're lucky to have a 5-6 year window for above average stats if they are good enough.
May 27, 2011 6:18:08 AM

buwish said:

Yes, I agree... but we talk about Federer. He is a one who can win a Gran Slam in walker
May 27, 2011 9:40:42 PM

Definitely. Federer isn't as dominate as he used to be, but he could still easily win a grand slam.
May 28, 2011 1:40:19 AM

gropouce said:
Yes, I agree... but we talk about Federer. He is a one who can win a Gran Slam in walker

Great thread you started here BTW. I have a question - Federer and Tiger Woods are close to the same age and alltime greats so which one will win his next major first? I would have to guess Federer since Tiger's game seems to have fallen off more. I hope to see them both win majors again but we shall see.
Dave
May 28, 2011 8:52:30 AM

Having seen the match Federer yesterday, I am tempted to say Roger, especially as Wimbledon will soon arrive ... and I do not know when the next U.S. Open Golf :whistle: 
I want to believe because I find that the opinion has buried Roger a little too fast (although I agree it is less powerful than it was)
Djokovic - Del Potro: 6 / 3 3 / 6 interrupted by nightfall, but there the night has just been interrupted by the day and games will resume, I gotta go!

(BTW => by the way?)
May 28, 2011 9:08:08 PM

Yep, BTW means by the way.

Djokovic won earlier to bring his win streak to 42. Looked like he was going to be challenged, but it ended up being a walk.
May 29, 2011 2:37:26 PM

I expected more from Del Potro, i admit.
It remains to see the match against Gasquet ..... it should be short
May 29, 2011 5:07:22 PM

He won again! Federer won as well- I believe he set a record for winning 28 quarter final matches in a row. He's still got it at his "old age." ;) 
June 2, 2011 1:19:35 PM

"very open to challengers".....

of course... :heink: 
Nadal-Federer-Djokovic-Murray...

That's why i'm not a sports gamblers. (except for rugby)
June 3, 2011 12:10:06 AM

Should be a great semi-finals between those guys, not to mention a great final out of whoever wins.
June 7, 2011 11:53:26 AM

Nadal is my favorite:p  He must win!
!