Add wireless to an existing network

mhamilton

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
The latest THG articles on wireless routers are great, but what about those of us who have been using SOHO routers for a while now? Do we have to scrap the old router and upgrade to a new wireless model or is there a way to add a wireless access point to our existing network?

Thanks,
-Mike

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
just get an access point, like the Linksys <A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=157&grid=22" target="_new">WAP11</A> (just one example, there are others)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

mhamilton

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
Thanks Jeff,

I had researched the WAP11 and the SMC version as well (I am currently using an SMC Barricade 4 port router). The thing that confuses me is that many of these Access Point devices are actually more expensive than their Access Point/Router/Switch bretheren and that just failed the commen sense check with me.

After looking at some pricing it almost seems silly to add an external 802.11b. It seems more economical to just junk the old router and go to an all in one device that supports Wi/Fi. Or am I missing something?

-Mike

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
yeah - you're right. The price difference between just an AP and an AP with router is only $15 or 20$. I guess it's not hard for them to add that extra functionality. Might as well go with the combo unless you have some reason to prefer your existing router.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
Actually there are reasons to get a dedicated AP. If you will only EVER use the device as an AP then the combo will be a good buy. If you foresee any potential for using it as a bridge or a workgroup bridge then no SOHO AP/Router combo's I know of can do either. Also, routers tend to be tethered to a cable or dsl modem. A dedicated AP will allow you to move around and play with location to enhance your cell coverage.

Flexibility. Dedicated AP's have it all over Router/AP combos.