Program Memory/Storage Memory (RAM) Ratios

a b } Memory
April 24, 2004 1:31:02 AM

The HP 5555 defaults to a 50/50 split in managing the RAM allocation (64 MB each). I'd like to know how others have allocated their precious memory. Do you think that reserving say 35 - 40 MB for running apps is too conservative? I don't know whether other Pocket PC models also default to a 50/50 split, but considering that almost all other current pocket PC models have only 64 MB total RAM (or less), splitting it down the middle would give them slightly less than 32 MB in which to run apps. Even when running multiple memory intensive applications, such as Pocket Earth with the super-hi res maps installed, I've never seen my usage climb past 20 to 25 MB. Your comments would be appreciated.

ps. I plan to add a bluetooth GPS in the near future, and I'd like to hear from some of you with GPS experience. How much memory (application, not storage) does the mapping software eat up?
Anonymous
a b } Memory
April 25, 2004 3:28:06 AM

It really depends... If you are playing video using Media Player... you
should have about 6MB of free Program Memory...

Some games require as much free memory... but most applications require
considerably less...

If you ahve about 20MB free... you should be able to run Windows Media
Player, have multiple windows of Pocket Internet Explorer running and a few
other apps running at the same time.

35-40MB is quite a lot...

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero