Hey, is there any way to password protect one file or folder? Basically
saying to access this folder from anywhere one needs to type in a password? I
know ive seen it done to get into a certain word or excel file but i dont
know how thats done, and i dont know how to do it for files. Please help!

Windows XP does not have the capability to password-protect
an individual file or folder. Instead, read the following:

HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows ­XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

You Cannot Select the "Make This Folder Private" Option
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307286&Product=winxp

How to set, view, change, or remove special permissions for ­files and folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"icehero417" wrote:

| Hey, is there any way to password protect one file or folder? Basically
| saying to access this folder from anywhere one needs to type in a password? I
| know ive seen it done to get into a certain word or excel file but i dont
| know how thats done, and i dont know how to do it for files. Please help!

To password protect a word document:
Open your file,
go to File>Save As, and look on the top menu of the save as dialouge box
where it
says TOOLS, and press that and select "Security options"

TO password pretect a folder you can use this free utility:
http://www.computerboom.net/download/utils/hidef.zip

Hide Files 2.3 (free)
You have any files or programs that you don't want to share with other or
they contain financial and tax information, passwords, personal letters and
emails, private images, and other confidential or personal data. But
typically, computer files and folders have not security protection so the
best way to protect them is to make files or folders invisible for another's
eyes. Hide Files makes hidden any files and folders (or whole Windows folder
or even all computer disks).

Hope this helps,
Kenny

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> To password protect a word document:
> Open your file,
> go to File>Save As, and look on the top menu of the save as dialouge box
> where it
> says TOOLS, and press that and select "Security options"
>
> TO password pretect a folder you can use this free utility:
> http://www.computerboom.net/download/utils/hidef.zip
>

> Hide Files 2.3 (free)
> You have any files or programs that you don't want to share with other or
> they contain financial and tax information, passwords, personal letters
> and emails, private images, and other confidential or personal data. But
> typically, computer files and folders have not security protection so the
> best way to protect them is to make files or folders invisible for
> another's eyes. Hide Files makes hidden any files and folders (or whole
> Windows folder or even all computer disks).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Kenny
>

> "icehero417" <icehero417@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hey, is there any way to password protect one file or folder? Basically
>> saying to access this folder from anywhere one needs to type in a
>> password? I
>> know ive seen it done to get into a certain word or excel file but i dont
>> know how thats done, and i dont know how to do it for files. Please help!

The "hide files thing" is relativly easy to trick. So this is no real
security.

To password protect single files and/or folder the best would be to use some
compression program like WinZIP, WinRAR or WinACE. All 3 can password
protect files and folders inside an archive. You don't even have to use the
compression this programs offer, but instead just put your file(s) and
folder(s) inside an uncompressed archive to password protect them. Be aware
though that previous WinZIP versions had problems with being easy to
decipher, so I would recommend either WinRAR or WinACE.

--
David R.
MCP