HDTV as computer monitor: feasiblity?

Does anyone out there know the feasability of using an HDTV as a computer
monitor? It seems like most vid-cards have DVI connectors (for flat-panel
displays). Aren't DVI connectors also used as inputs for HDTV's? It also seems
like most video card drivers support widescreen formats as well. How much would
a 24" to 25" HDTV with DVI inputs cost these days?

I'd imagine HDTV's can't handle text modes right? So and HDTV wouldn't be of
much use when booting a PC (viz. since you couldn't see anything until you get
into the GUI).

What kind of refresh rates can HDTV's handle? What kind of resolutions? Has
anyone else tried this? Any FAQ's out there?
More about hdtv computer monitor feasiblity

    Wblane wrote:

    > Does anyone out there know the feasability of using an HDTV as a computer
    > monitor? It seems like most vid-cards have DVI connectors (for flat-panel
    > displays). Aren't DVI connectors also used as inputs for HDTV's? It also
    > seems like most video card drivers support widescreen formats as well. How
    > much would a 24" to 25" HDTV with DVI inputs cost these days?
    >
    > I'd imagine HDTV's can't handle text modes right? So and HDTV wouldn't be
    > of much use when booting a PC (viz. since you couldn't see anything until
    > you get into the GUI).
    >
    > What kind of refresh rates can HDTV's handle? What kind of resolutions?
    > Has anyone else tried this? Any FAQ's out there?

    A real HDTV works reasonably well as a monitor. What you have to watch for
    is the ones that have a digital input that they then downscale to SD
    resolutions, which is what most of the inexpensive sets do.

    There is no such thing as a "text mode" for a PC monitor--as long as the
    monitor can display 640x480 it can display the boot screens.

    The highest res in the HD standard is 1080x1920, interlaced, and I don't
    recall what the refresh rate is but it's not super high.

    If the video board can put 720P or 1080i on the DVI output then you should
    be in good shape. This is doable with most boards currently in production
    using Powerstrip.

    The only true HD TVs you're going to find that are smaller than 32 inches or
    so will be flat panels and they aren't particularly cheap.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    You really are talking an LCD with inbuilt HDTV tuner?

    sheer wrote:
    > You really are talking an LCD with inbuilt HDTV tuner?
    >
    > "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    >
    >>Does anyone out there know the feasability of using an HDTV as a computer
    >>monitor? It seems like most vid-cards have DVI connectors (for flat-panel
    >>displays). Aren't DVI connectors also used as inputs for HDTV's? It also
    >
    > seems
    >
    >>like most video card drivers support widescreen formats as well. How much
    >
    > would
    >
    >>a 24" to 25" HDTV with DVI inputs cost these days?
    >>
    >>I'd imagine HDTV's can't handle text modes right? So and HDTV wouldn't be
    >
    > of
    >
    >>much use when booting a PC (viz. since you couldn't see anything until you
    >
    > get
    >
    >>into the GUI).
    >>
    >>What kind of refresh rates can HDTV's handle? What kind of resolutions?
    >
    > Has
    >
    >>anyone else tried this? Any FAQ's out there?
    >>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    Actually, I've noticed that the DVI input of my HDTV doesn't really work
    well with the DVI output of the video card. Generally the PC doesn't
    know how to deal with the monitor to display things properly at correct
    resolutions/etc....also many games refuse to deal with the display
    altogether and just crash. Could just be my TV not being equipped to
    deal with PCs.

    However, ATI does sell a DVI (or VGA) to component adapter that plugs
    into the video card.

    http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/

    I got this at newegg for $35 (including shipping).

    This thing works pretty well. Through the standard display settings you
    can specify which HDTV modes to use (480i/p, 720p, 1080i, and also a
    16:9 for WS if you got it).

    nobody wrote:
    > sheer wrote:
    >> You really are talking an LCD with inbuilt HDTV tuner?
    >>
    >> "Wblane" <wblane@aol.combotizer> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Does anyone out there know the feasability of using an HDTV as a
    >>> computer monitor? It seems like most vid-cards have DVI connectors
    >>> (for flat-panel displays). Aren't DVI connectors also used as
    >>> inputs for HDTV's? It also
    >>
    >> seems
    >>
    >>> like most video card drivers support widescreen formats as well.
    >>> How much
    >>
    >> would
    >>
    >>> a 24" to 25" HDTV with DVI inputs cost these days?
    >>>
    >>> I'd imagine HDTV's can't handle text modes right? So and HDTV
    >>> wouldn't be
    >>
    >> of
    >>
    >>> much use when booting a PC (viz. since you couldn't see anything
    >>> until you
    >>
    >> get
    >>
    >>> into the GUI).
    >>>
    >>> What kind of refresh rates can HDTV's handle? What kind of
    >>> resolutions?
    >>
    >> Has
    >>
    >>> anyone else tried this? Any FAQ's out there?
    >>> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
    >>

    > Actually, I've noticed that the DVI input of my HDTV doesn't really
    > work well with the DVI output of the video card. Generally the PC
    > doesn't know how to deal with the monitor to display things properly
    > at correct resolutions/etc....also many games refuse to deal with the
    > display altogether and just crash. Could just be my TV not being
    > equipped to deal with PCs.
    >
    > However, ATI does sell a DVI (or VGA) to component adapter that plugs
    > into the video card.
    >
    > http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/
    >
    > I got this at newegg for $35 (including shipping).
    >
    > This thing works pretty well. Through the standard display settings
    > you can specify which HDTV modes to use (480i/p, 720p, 1080i, and
    > also a 16:9 for WS if you got it).

    My set doesn't have DVI so I use a VGA-to-HD Transcoder. I use a Sony
    monitor driver for the set and powerstrip to pick the resolution. It works
    well.

    This is all beginning to sound too complicated. I remember the nightmare I went
    thru a couple of years ago trying to get a 21" fixed frequency monitor to work
    w/my 9500 Pro -- I don't want to go thru that again.

    Just for the record are HDTV's fixed frequency devices? Do they support
    standard PC resolutions? Do HDTV's support > 60Hz refresh rates?

    I live in an efficiency aparment (translation: small) and I need a new TV so I
    was thinking why not combine the TV w/a big monitor and get an HDTV of some
    type.

    On 27 Aug 2004 18:14:36 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

    >This is all beginning to sound too complicated. I remember the nightmare I went
    >thru a couple of years ago trying to get a 21" fixed frequency monitor to work
    >w/my 9500 Pro -- I don't want to go thru that again.
    >
    >Just for the record are HDTV's fixed frequency devices? Do they support
    >standard PC resolutions? Do HDTV's support > 60Hz refresh rates?
    >
    >I live in an efficiency aparment (translation: small) and I need a new TV so I
    >was thinking why not combine the TV w/a big monitor and get an HDTV of some
    >type.
    >-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    Why not get a nice large computer monitor and use one of these. I have
    one.

    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/vb50hrtv/

    Wblane wrote:

    > This is all beginning to sound too complicated. I remember the nightmare I
    > went thru a couple of years ago trying to get a 21" fixed frequency
    > monitor to work w/my 9500 Pro -- I don't want to go thru that again.
    >
    > Just for the record are HDTV's fixed frequency devices? Do they support
    > standard PC resolutions? Do HDTV's support > 60Hz refresh rates?

    Depends. Some do, some don't. Don't count on it, assume that any set you
    look at is limited to the resolutions defined in the HDTV standards unless
    the manufacturer (and not the store) specifically states otherwise.

    > I live in an efficiency aparment (translation: small) and I need a new TV
    > so I was thinking why not combine the TV w/a big monitor and get an HDTV
    > of some type.

    You'd do better to get a big monitor and use the computer as the TV
    receiver.

    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    A big CRT and some type of tuner card is what I'm thinking now (since I can get
    TV tuner card for dirt cheap right now and have my FIC VA503+ all ready to go).

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 12:40:31 -0700, Willie Winger <no@email.here>
    wrote:

    >Why not get a nice large computer monitor and use one of these. I have
    >one.
    >
    >http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/vb50hrtv/

    Actually, I have this one. N6.

    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/nextvisionn6/

    On 27 Aug 2004 21:04:05 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

    >A big CRT and some type of tuner card is what I'm thinking now (since I can get
    >TV tuner card for dirt cheap right now and have my FIC VA503+ all ready to go).

    Yea, but with an internal TV tuner card you have to have your computer
    on to watch TV. With the Viewsonic system it is all passthrough so you
    don't need to have the computer on to watch TV.

    maggot wrote:

    > On 27 Aug 2004 21:04:05 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:
    >
    >>A big CRT and some type of tuner card is what I'm thinking now (since I
    >>can get TV tuner card for dirt cheap right now and have my FIC VA503+ all
    >>ready to go).
    >
    > Yea, but with an internal TV tuner card you have to have your computer
    > on to watch TV. With the Viewsonic system it is all passthrough so you
    > don't need to have the computer on to watch TV.

    And you can't record and you're limited to one channel and you can't recieve
    HDTV.

    I have never understood why some people consider having their computer
    turned on to be a hardship. Personally I seldom turn mine off.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Keep in mind the resolution of HDTV may not be sufficient. From what I
    remember reading about HDTVs, there are the 1080i (interlaced) and 720p
    (progressive) standards, both with 16:9 aspect ratio, so a HDTV only has the
    equivalent of 1280x720 max resolution. Projecting this onto a 36" display
    could look ugly when you need to read text.

    First of One wrote:

    > Keep in mind the resolution of HDTV may not be sufficient. From what I
    > remember reading about HDTVs, there are the 1080i (interlaced) and 720p
    > (progressive) standards, both with 16:9 aspect ratio, so a HDTV only has
    > the equivalent of 1280x720 max resolution.

    I beg to disagree. If the set supports 1080i then its resolution is
    1920x1080.

    > Projecting this onto a 36"
    > display could look ugly when you need to read text.

    Actually 1280x720 works fine for text on my 8 foot screen.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Moreover, the HDTV spec also allows for 1080 p (progressive scan) to be implemented
    whenever feasable. Now that will be a TV set!
    --
    Todd
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:21:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >And you can't record and you're limited to one channel and you can't recieve
    >HDTV.

    You watch more than one channel at a time? And why can't it recieve
    HDTV? It does 16:9 ratio and 4:3.

    >I have never understood why some people consider having their computer
    >turned on to be a hardship. Personally I seldom turn mine off.

    Noise.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    A few weeks back I tried my x800 platinum on my sony 51 rear
    projection HDTV. The card comes with an HDTV adapter.It did work - but
    not very well as the scaling was off. I am hoping the new Catalyst
    drivers that came outlast week will fix this. I hope to try it out
    again tommorrow

    Joe

    On 27 Aug 2004 00:30:35 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:

    >Does anyone out there know the feasability of using an HDTV as a computer
    >monitor? It seems like most vid-cards have DVI connectors (for flat-panel
    >displays). Aren't DVI connectors also used as inputs for HDTV's? It also seems
    >like most video card drivers support widescreen formats as well. How much would
    >a 24" to 25" HDTV with DVI inputs cost these days?
    >
    >I'd imagine HDTV's can't handle text modes right? So and HDTV wouldn't be of
    >much use when booting a PC (viz. since you couldn't see anything until you get
    >into the GUI).
    >
    >What kind of refresh rates can HDTV's handle? What kind of resolutions? Has
    >anyone else tried this? Any FAQ's out there?
    >-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    > > Keep in mind the resolution of HDTV may not be sufficient. From what I
    > > remember reading about HDTVs, there are the 1080i (interlaced) and 720p
    > > (progressive) standards, both with 16:9 aspect ratio, so a HDTV only has
    > > the equivalent of 1280x720 max resolution.
    >
    > I beg to disagree. If the set supports 1080i then its resolution is
    > 1920x1080.

    Yes, but that's 1920x1080 interlaced. If you feed a progressive-scan signal
    to it, will it "downsample" and output an interlaced picture?

    Though in the case of LCD TVs, I guess refresh rate is a bit of a moot
    point.

    > > Projecting this onto a 36"
    > > display could look ugly when you need to read text.
    >
    > Actually 1280x720 works fine for text on my 8 foot screen.

    Any idea what the dot pitch is for your 8 foot screen (or is this a
    projector)?

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    First of One wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> > Keep in mind the resolution of HDTV may not be sufficient. From what I
    >> > remember reading about HDTVs, there are the 1080i (interlaced) and 720p
    >> > (progressive) standards, both with 16:9 aspect ratio, so a HDTV only
    >> > has the equivalent of 1280x720 max resolution.
    >>
    >> I beg to disagree. If the set supports 1080i then its resolution is
    >> 1920x1080.
    >
    > Yes, but that's 1920x1080 interlaced. If you feed a progressive-scan
    > signal to it, will it "downsample" and output an interlaced picture?

    There's no "sampling" involved, it just takes two passes to display the
    image.

    > Though in the case of LCD TVs, I guess refresh rate is a bit of a moot
    > point.
    >
    >> > Projecting this onto a 36"
    >> > display could look ugly when you need to read text.
    >>
    >> Actually 1280x720 works fine for text on my 8 foot screen.
    >
    > Any idea what the dot pitch is for your 8 foot screen (or is this a
    > projector)?

    What's 8 divided by the square root of the sum of the squares of 1280 and
    720? About .005 inch or .13mm. But it doesn't have a "dot pitch" per se,
    which applies only to CRTs, it's an LCD-based display so it has a 1:1
    correspondence between physical and logical pixels unless I turn on
    scaling.

    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:21:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>And you can't record and you're limited to one channel and you can't
    >>recieve HDTV.
    >
    > You watch more than one channel at a time? And why can't it recieve
    > HDTV? It does 16:9 ratio and 4:3.
    >
    >>I have never understood why some people consider having their computer
    >>turned on to be a hardship. Personally I seldom turn mine off.
    >
    > Noise.

    Then rig it for silent running.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <of3vi0d7dlbq5seqsbqf9a0fjkulnpdk7v@4ax.com>, Willie Winger <no@email.here> wrote:
    >On 27 Aug 2004 18:14:36 GMT, wblane@aol.combotizer (Wblane) wrote:
    >
    >>This is all beginning to sound too complicated. I remember the nightmare I
    > went
    >>thru a couple of years ago trying to get a 21" fixed frequency monitor to work
    >>w/my 9500 Pro -- I don't want to go thru that again.
    >>
    >>Just for the record are HDTV's fixed frequency devices? Do they support
    >>standard PC resolutions? Do HDTV's support > 60Hz refresh rates?
    >>
    >>I live in an efficiency aparment (translation: small) and I need a new TV so I
    >>was thinking why not combine the TV w/a big monitor and get an HDTV of some
    >>type.
    >>-Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
    >
    >Why not get a nice large computer monitor and use one of these. I have
    >one.
    >
    >http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/tvvideoprocessors/vb50hrtv/

    Yup, and they are excellent for feeding your PS2 or XBOX game systems thru
    to your 21" monitor!!!!!
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:59:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Then rig it for silent running.

    No, I like using my Viewsonic N6 just fine, thx. It also upscales the
    image as high as 1280x1024. I tired the internal TV Tuner method
    already and it is inferior to the N6 method. And as someone else
    pointed out already I can connect an X-Box or PS2 and play it on my
    computer monitor. But I doubt I'll do that as console games are not my
    bag.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:20:56 GMT, glenzabr@nospamallowed.xmission.com
    (GMAN) wrote:

    >Yup, and they are excellent for feeding your PS2 or XBOX game systems thru
    >to your 21" monitor!!!!!

    Yea, I've considered doing that but most of the games I am into are PC
    games so see no need for a console too.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:59:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
    such devices as the N6.

    >>Then rig it for silent running.
    >
    > No, I like using my Viewsonic N6 just fine, thx. It also upscales the
    > image as high as 1280x1024.

    Is that just a comment or are you saying that that's somehow an advantage?
    If an advantage I have no trouble upscaling to the maximum resolution of
    any monitor I attach.

    > I tired the internal TV Tuner method
    > already and it is inferior to the N6 method.

    Inferior in what way? And what were you using for a capture board? I doubt
    that Viewsonic makes their own chips for the thing, which means that they
    use the same Conexant or Brooktree or Phillips chip as everybody else.

    > And as someone else
    > pointed out already I can connect an X-Box or PS2 and play it on my
    > computer monitor.

    What prevents you from doing this with any capture board that has composite
    or S-video inputs? Heck, you don't need a tuner, all you need is a VIVO
    board for that.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:36:58 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
    >such devices as the N6.

    Features

    Experience high-definition video or TV on an LCD, CRT or projection
    display
    Enjoy up to 181 channels of high-resolution TV (1280x1024) at full
    screen in 24-bit color. Simply connect the NextVision N6 to your
    antenna or cable feed; or connect to your satellite, cable box or HDTV
    set-top-box and enjoy precision scaled HDTV on your display or
    projector.

    Create and view digital content on your high-resolution display
    The NextVision N6 is compatible with industry-standard digital cameras
    and camcorders through its multiple video input connections. You can
    view your own video content in multiple resolutions up to 1280x1024.

    Enjoy full-screen, high-definition video entertainment with or without
    your PC
    Simply connect your DVD, VCR or gaming console to the NextVision N6
    and enjoy your favorite movies on your high-resolution display or
    projector. The NextVision N6 provides component video (YPbPr),
    S-video, composite (RCA) video connectors, audio pass-through and
    front-panel headphone support with or without your PC.

    Advanced scaling technology, reverse 3:2 pull down and digital 3-D
    comb filter
    The NextVision N6 provides reverse 3:2 pull down correction that
    eliminates jitter from DVD movies that originated from motion picture
    film. A digital 3-D comb filter, motion and adaptive de-interlacing
    improves the clarity and sharpness of the video image.

    TV/Video input compatibility
    480i, 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i

    RGB output capability
    640x480, 800x600, 852x480, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1280x768, 1280x1024

    Picture-in-picture viewing
    When connected to a PC you can view a video or TV window over your
    data screen.

    Closed caption technology*
    Displays text overlay of spoken audio over video.

    SAP/MTS Stereo*
    Allows the reception of audio other than main programming audio.

    Parental control*
    Built-in V chip allows controlled programming based on a selected
    rating system.

    RGB computer pass-through
    Watch TV or enjoy your DVD movie without turning on your computer.

    Auto tuning
    Auto tuning of TV broadcast and cable TV channels.

    Sleep timer
    Built-in sleep timer automatically shuts off display at pre-determined
    times.

    Easy connection and control
    The NextVision N6 is an external plug-and-play table-top configuration
    requiring no software drivers or internal computer installation.

    Convenient 28-key remote control
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    If the HDTV is CRT based what kind of refresh rates are we talking here? 60Hz?
    For text doesn't 60Hz introduce an annoying flicker? If not 60Hz what are the
    refresh rates for all the native resolutions of HDTV? Do ATI drivers (and/or
    games) support HDTV resolutions?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Wblane wrote:

    > If the HDTV is CRT based what kind of refresh rates are we talking here?
    > 60Hz? For text doesn't 60Hz introduce an annoying flicker? If not 60Hz
    > what are the refresh rates for all the native resolutions of HDTV? Do ATI
    > drivers (and/or games) support HDTV resolutions?

    The ATI boards can output HDTV resolutions using component or DVI outputs,
    but you may need a third party utility called "Powerstrip" to set them.

    Using DVI the refresh rate set in the video board is pretty much irrelevant
    as the signal goes through a DAC in the set.

    Further, TV sets tend to have higher persistence phosphors than CRT
    monitors.

    The bottom line is that I've not noticed any flicker using a TV for computer
    output--the resolution has always been the issue and HD resolves that.

    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:36:58 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
    >>such devices as the N6.
    >
    > Features

    <cut and paste from ad copy snipped>

    Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the price
    of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same thing
    and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
    better choice.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:53:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the price
    >of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same thing
    >and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
    >better choice.

    But the whole point was that he wants a TV and a monitor that can
    display text well. The N6 solves that problem. Buying an HDTV doesn't.
    And using an Xbox through a TV Tuner card requires one to have the
    computer on and use overlay mode. That's not the same as displaying
    directly to the monitor without having to have the computer and the
    console on at the same time.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:53:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the
    >>price of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same
    >>thing
    >>and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
    >>better choice.
    >
    > But the whole point was that he wants a TV and a monitor that can
    > display text well. The N6 solves that problem. Buying an HDTV doesn't.

    Now let's see. Displaying text at 1280x1024 is adequate but displaying it
    at 1920x1080, which is a higher resolution than 1280x1024, is not? How do
    you figure that?

    > And using an Xbox through a TV Tuner card requires one to have the
    > computer on and use overlay mode.

    And having the computer on and using overlay mode is a problem because?

    > That's not the same as displaying
    > directly to the monitor without having to have the computer and the
    > console on at the same time.

    No, it's not the same. This is a problem because?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:24:34 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Now let's see. Displaying text at 1280x1024 is adequate but displaying it
    >at 1920x1080, which is a higher resolution than 1280x1024, is not? How do
    >you figure that?

    WTF are you talking about? Why would the text from his computer be
    limited to 1280x1024 (unless using a 17" LCD)?

    >And having the computer on and using overlay mode is a problem because?

    Noise, heat, waste of power and inferior quality.

    >No, it's not the same. This is a problem because?

    Enough dillweed!
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <cgviub01gd1@news4.newsguy.com>, "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >maggot wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:59:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    >> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
    >such devices as the N6.
    >
    >>>Then rig it for silent running.
    >>
    >> No, I like using my Viewsonic N6 just fine, thx. It also upscales the
    >> image as high as 1280x1024.
    >
    >Is that just a comment or are you saying that that's somehow an advantage?
    >If an advantage I have no trouble upscaling to the maximum resolution of
    >any monitor I attach.
    >
    >> I tired the internal TV Tuner method
    >> already and it is inferior to the N6 method.
    >
    >Inferior in what way? And what were you using for a capture board? I doubt
    >that Viewsonic makes their own chips for the thing, which means that they
    >use the same Conexant or Brooktree or Phillips chip as everybody else.
    >
    >> And as someone else
    >> pointed out already I can connect an X-Box or PS2 and play it on my
    >> computer monitor.
    >
    >What prevents you from doing this with any capture board that has composite
    >or S-video inputs? Heck, you don't need a tuner, all you need is a VIVO
    >board for that.

    The main point here is that it allows one to eliminate having to have the
    computer on and being used as a pass thru to do the above.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    GMAN wrote:

    > In article <cgviub01gd1@news4.newsguy.com>, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >>maggot wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 16:59:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    >>> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
    >>such devices as the N6.

    >>> No, I like using my Viewsonic N6 just fine, thx. It also upscales the
    >>> image as high as 1280x1024.
    >>
    >>Is that just a comment or are you saying that that's somehow an advantage?
    >>If an advantage I have no trouble upscaling to the maximum resolution of
    >>any monitor I attach.
    >>
    >>> I tired the internal TV Tuner method
    >>> already and it is inferior to the N6 method.
    >>
    >>Inferior in what way? And what were you using for a capture board? I
    >>doubt that Viewsonic makes their own chips for the thing, which means that
    >>they use the same Conexant or Brooktree or Phillips chip as everybody
    >>else.
    >>
    >>> And as someone else
    >>> pointed out already I can connect an X-Box or PS2 and play it on my
    >>> computer monitor.
    >>
    >>What prevents you from doing this with any capture board that has
    >>composite
    >>or S-video inputs? Heck, you don't need a tuner, all you need is a VIVO
    >>board for that.
    >
    > The main point here is that it allows one to eliminate having to have the
    > computer on and being used as a pass thru to do the above.

    And my point being that I for one never turn the computer off and still
    don't understand why people make such a huge deal about having it on. And
    it's more than a "pass through". And I'd rather have the computer directly
    connected to the monitor than passed through Viewsonic's box.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <ch0f2u0tfa@news2.newsguy.com>, "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >maggot wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:36:58 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    >> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood the appeal of
    >>>such devices as the N6.
    >>
    >> Features
    >
    ><cut and paste from ad copy snipped>
    >
    >Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the price
    >of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same thing
    >and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
    >better choice.

    The appeal being that if you own a projector it makes a very nice tuner to add
    to the projector. I own a proxima projector and using a vcr for a tuner just
    doesnt cut it. These N6 boxes have 3D comb filtering , video scaling, etc that
    makes the 7 foot wide image shine.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    GMAN wrote:

    > In article <ch0f2u0tfa@news2.newsguy.com>, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >>maggot wrote:

    >>> Features
    >>
    >><cut and paste from ad copy snipped>
    >>
    >>Still don't understand the appeal. Take the price of the N6 plus the
    >>price of a computer monitor and you can get an HDTV set that does the same
    >>thing
    >>and displays 1920x1080 insted of 1280x1024. If you want a TV that's a
    >>better choice.
    >>
    > The appeal being that if you own a projector it makes a very nice tuner to
    > add to the projector. I own a proxima projector and using a vcr for a
    > tuner just doesnt cut it. These N6 boxes have 3D comb filtering , video
    > scaling, etc that makes the 7 foot wide image shine.

    If you're using HD then you don't need 3D comb filtering, video scaling,
    etc. However a decent projector already has those capabilities built in,
    and if mine didn't, then dscaler gives better results than all but the
    highest-end video processors.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:24:34 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>Now let's see. Displaying text at 1280x1024 is adequate but displaying it
    >>at 1920x1080, which is a higher resolution than 1280x1024, is not? How do
    >>you figure that?
    >
    > WTF are you talking about? Why would the text from his computer be
    > limited to 1280x1024 (unless using a 17" LCD)?

    The specs for your magic box say that the maximum output resolution is
    1280x1024.

    >>And having the computer on and using overlay mode is a problem because?
    >
    > Noise, heat, waste of power and inferior quality.

    Which tells me that you've never used a PC that was set up properly for home
    theater. You're assuming that all PCs are mass-market Dells.

    >>No, it's not the same. This is a problem because?
    >
    > Enough dillweed!

    I was wondering if you had any reasons for using the thing or if you were
    just engaging in mindless advocacy. Now I know.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:03:44 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Care to provide me some numbers to support that contention?

    Um, remember the power outages of last summer?

    >It doesn't? Now let's see, I feed it 1600x1200 and out comes 1280x1024, and
    >that's not degredation? Not to mention that it won't pass DVI.

    You are a seriously confused dork.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    What about in games though? Can Powerstrip set resolutions in games? What do
    you mean by HD? Hydravision? How much a 25" HDTV goes for these days? Do HDTV's
    support standard TV aspect ratios or is it all widescreen?

    I'm still sitting on the fence. I've seen 24" CRT's for a little over a grand,
    but I haven't priced any HDTV's.

    >The ATI boards can output HDTV resolutions using component or DVI outputs,
    >but you may need a third party utility called "Powerstrip" to set them.
    >
    >Using DVI the refresh rate set in the video board is pretty much irrelevant
    >as the signal goes through a DAC in the set.
    >
    >Further, TV sets tend to have higher persistence phosphors than CRT
    >monitors.
    >
    >The bottom line is that I've not noticed any flicker using a TV for computer
    >output--the resolution has always been the issue and HD resolves that.
    >
    >> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
    >
    >--
    >--John
    >Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net

  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Wblane wrote:

    > What about in games though? Can Powerstrip set resolutions in games?

    Games either use the Windows settings or set their own from among a small
    range. They're a problem if you're using an HDTV for output.

    > What
    > do you mean by HD?

    High definition. Digital television transmission at resolutions higher that
    analog broadcast. Nearly all US broadcast stations are transmitting HD in
    addition to their analog signal, and analog is supposed to be phased out in
    a few years.

    > Hydravision? How much a 25" HDTV goes for these days?
    > Do HDTV's support standard TV aspect ratios or is it all widescreen?

    HDTVs can do anything an analog TV can do. Some can scale to widescreen so
    that letterboxed SD uses the whole screen or do other tricks.

    > I'm still sitting on the fence. I've seen 24" CRT's for a little over a
    > grand, but I haven't priced any HDTV's.

    The trouble with HDTVs is finding one with all the specs provided. You can
    get into one for around the same price that will have a bigger screen but a
    smaller range of resolutions. Unfortunately in that price range they're
    typically limited to about 720 lines horizontal resolution--that's 720P,
    which is actually quite good but not as good as a purpose-made monitor.

    >>The ATI boards can output HDTV resolutions using component or DVI outputs,
    >>but you may need a third party utility called "Powerstrip" to set them.
    >>
    >>Using DVI the refresh rate set in the video board is pretty much
    >>irrelevant as the signal goes through a DAC in the set.
    >>
    >>Further, TV sets tend to have higher persistence phosphors than CRT
    >>monitors.
    >>
    >>The bottom line is that I've not noticed any flicker using a TV for
    >>computer output--the resolution has always been the issue and HD resolves
    >>that.
    >>
    >>> -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)
    >>
    >>--
    >>--John
    >>Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >

    > -Bill (remove "botizer" to reply via email)

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  39. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:36:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >If the text output goes through your wondrous little box then it is subject
    >to the limitations of that box. If it doesn't go through your little box
    >then you have to plug cables every time you want to use the computer or the
    >TV.

    It's passthrough remember?! The text output doesn't go throught the
    wittle box. Get it now?
  40. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    The 720 lines of horizontal resolution would preclude using 1024x768? That
    would be the minimum resolution I'd want my desktop at.

    >he trouble with HDTVs is finding one with all the specs provided. You can
    >get into one for around the same price that will have a bigger screen but a
    >smaller range of resolutions. Unfortunately in that price range they're
    >typically limited to about 720 lines horizontal resolution--that's 720P,
    >which is actually quite good but not as good as a purpose-made monitor.

    That's all I need to hear. HDTV as a monitor is now definitely out. I remember
    the nightmare of trying to get a fixed frequency 20" NCD monitor to work three
    years ago -- I'm NOT going thru that again.

    >Games either use the Windows settings or set their own from among a small
    >range. They're a problem if you're using an HDTV for output.

    >--
    >--John
    >Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

  41. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:36:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>If the text output goes through your wondrous little box then it is
    >>subject
    >>to the limitations of that box. If it doesn't go through your little box
    >>then you have to plug cables every time you want to use the computer or
    >>the TV.
    >
    > It's passthrough remember?! The text output doesn't go throught the
    > wittle box. Get it now?

    I see. So if it doesn't go through the little box how does it get from the
    computer to the screen?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  42. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:57:14 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >I see. So if it doesn't go through the little box how does it get from the
    >computer to the screen?

    Passthrough.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 22:57:14 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>I see. So if it doesn't go through the little box how does it get from the
    >>computer to the screen?
    >
    > Passthrough.

    In other words there is no way to simultaneously display TV and computer
    output on the monitor using the N6 because the computer output is simply
    passed through the box on copper wires with no active components at all
    between input and output?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  44. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:05:57 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >In other words there is no way to simultaneously display TV and computer
    >output on the monitor using the N6 because the computer output is simply
    >passed through the box on copper wires with no active components at all
    >between input and output?

    You can display the TV while the computer is on using PIP.
  45. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:05:57 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>In other words there is no way to simultaneously display TV and computer
    >>output on the monitor using the N6 because the computer output is simply
    >>passed through the box on copper wires with no active components at all
    >>between input and output?
    >
    > You can display the TV while the computer is on using PIP.

    I see. And how does that get displayed with a "pass through" without any
    processing by the N6?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  46. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 01:14:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >I see. And how does that get displayed with a "pass through" without any
    >processing by the N6?

    By superimposing the PIP image on top of the computer screen image.
    Move along, you lose.
  47. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    maggot wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 01:14:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>I see. And how does that get displayed with a "pass through" without any
    >>processing by the N6?
    >
    > By superimposing the PIP image on top of the computer screen image.
    > Move along, you lose.

    And how does it replace the pixels in the datastream sent by the computer
    with the pixels of the PIP image if it does no processing on the
    datastream?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  48. I have a Samsung 52" 1080P LCD and an old GeForce 5200FX that works great at 1920x1080 resolution and 60Hz. The TV automatically adjusts to the different resolution sizes while booting up (e.g. 640x480 on the Windows XP welcome screen). Hope that helps!
  49. My display is 70 Inch(Seven Zero Inch) HDTV
    Display Conf: 1080P Resolution for PC and Video Application
    includes : Blue-Ray and HD-DVD Playback @ 1080P
    Text & Video are great :
    "Very Large & Crips Workspace @ 70Inch Across"
    I play games with it...(COD4, CRYSIS, GRID)

    Connection: Video: DVI to HDMI
    Video Card : BFG 8800GT 512 OC
    Other cards I have tested: BFG 280 , 3870
    I plan to get myself a 4970x2 Soon...

    CPU: Quad Core 6600
    OS: Windows Vista Ultimate
    HD Tuner: TV Built In Tuner Plus/ ATI 650 HDTV(Dual Tuner)

    Memory: 4 Gbyte
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula
    Hard Drive: 2x 750Gbyte configured as Raid-0

    It works great...

    I hope it helps answer your question

Radeon HDTV DVI Monitors Graphics