Sign in with
Your question

Problem Signature 04: 21201075

Last response: in Windows 7
December 6, 2010 3:28:48 AM

BSOD on boot, system says a bad driver update or newly attached hardware is the culprit. On trying Startup Repair it gives up and pumps out the following:

Problem Event Name: Startup Repair Offline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16395
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21201075
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 15
Problem Signature 07: Bad Driver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Local ID: 1033

This issue first began following an Adobe Reader update install: this does not make adobe the cause, just a suspect. Despite the initial error analysis from Win7, no new drivers or hardware were installed.

The previous week, XP32 quit with the message on boot that the "NTLDR leader missing" so I switched over to boot from a clean Win7 Ultimate install. Sure glad I have a Linux backup.
a c 352 $ Windows 7
December 6, 2010 1:41:08 PM

Do a disk scan for errors. Both XP giving you the error and now Win 7, I just have a feeling you have some drive errors lurking. If you can, don't just do a checkdisk, use a BIOS disk test utility if you have it, or maybe a vendor disk check boot disk (from either the system vendor or maybe the drive manufacturer).

Windows will mask bad areas of the drive if it encounters them by marking them as bad so it ignores those areas, but that does not always work, and is for sure not a super smart idea by them. An example would be a full disk encryption on a working Windows installation. Windows boots and works fine, but when encryption hits a bad area of the drive, it can cause errors in the program and make the drive unusable.
m
l
December 7, 2010 4:37:34 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Do a disk scan for errors. Both XP giving you the error and now Win 7, I just have a feeling you have some drive errors lurking. If you can, don't just do a checkdisk, use a BIOS disk test utility if you have it, or maybe a vendor disk check boot disk (from either the system vendor or maybe the drive manufacturer).

Windows will mask bad areas of the drive if it encounters them by marking them as bad so it ignores those areas, but that does not always work, and is for sure not a super smart idea by them. An example would be a full disk encryption on a working Windows installation. Windows boots and works fine, but when encryption hits a bad area of the drive, it can cause errors in the program and make the drive unusable.

Many thanks for your response. XP32 and Win7 are installed on separate 1/2 TB drives and depend on boot disk selection. Used a DOS start disk to update BIOS from Asus without any change to HD boot results. Tried booting from the W7 install disk per MS Tech recommendations, using repair from the install disk resulted in no change. It appears an update to W7 contained a poison pill - an emerging hardware glitsch that once worked in compatibility mode. Ran chkdsk /f the week before this near simultaneous crash and ran defrag on the XP32 drive. Can't get in to delete the offending driver in W7, but the BSOD happens as the logo is loading up. This is a pretty severe way to respond to offending hardware drivers. It appears beta testing lives on. Is a new release imminent? Let's W8 and see.
A backup workstation still has an operating (and legal) copy of W7U (3-license pack), but now I'm waiting for it to go into arrest while trying to meet deadlines. Most of the apps on my W7-prime can be loaded into Leopard, so maybe this is a wake-up call to make the move. Even Autodesk offers Linux versions, but video drivers are still problematic.
m
l
December 8, 2010 3:31:37 AM

Issue closed. Both instances of Windows OS were corrupted by subscription updates to AVG antivirus. As is more often the case, Microsoft is not at fault, but rather it is hardware and applications vendors who fail to understand - let alone follow - the complexities of an advanced operating system. If you use AVG, don't despair! Go to their website and download the fix to get your system back up and running - they are profoundly embarrassed and have done their best to make things right. Sorry, Microsoft, doubt of your flagship operating system was clearly misplaced.
m
l
!