XP2 Admin shares

I have been unable to get my XP2 stations to allow the
\\server\admin$ and the \\server\C$ to work on remote
sites after enabling the Firewall. The weird part is I
can get the local stations on our subnet to work but not
on the regional offices when I try to connect through
Computer management it says it "cant find the station and
the network path was not found" I can ping the stations
no problem by IP and Domain name. I have enabled the
exceptions with our current programs but also freed
up "File and Print sharing" Remote "Assistance
(both)" "C:\windows\system32\share.exe" under the
connection settings in advanced (ICMP) I checked 1,3,4 and
10. Under the ICMP below I checked 1,3 and 4. Last
thing if I turn the firewall off the problem is gone but
that defeats the security benefit. If anyone has any
insight on what the issue is I would greatly appreciate
it.
7 answers Last reply
More about admin shares

    no insight yet. just a couple questions.
    what brand/vendor is "the Firewall" ? how are you connecting to the
    remote ? FTP using IIS ? Remote Desktop Connection ? Network
    Connection Wizard ? it is not exactly clear, since neither
    \\server\admin$ nor \\server\C$ are working now. if dropping "the
    Firewall" makes a difference, then maybe some port blocking is going on.
    if i misunderstood your question, please forgive me and clarify. just
    thought i would try to help, since you have not received a response in
    over 4 hours.

    "JW" <JustPostYourReply@ToThisNewsGroup.pls> wrote in message
    | no insight yet. just a couple questions.
    | what brand/vendor is "the Firewall" ? how are you connecting to the
    | remote ? FTP using IIS ? Remote Desktop Connection ? Network
    | Connection Wizard ? it is not exactly clear, since neither
    | \\server\admin$ nor \\server\C$ are working now. if dropping "the
    | Firewall" makes a difference, then maybe some port blocking is going on.
    | if i misunderstood your question, please forgive me and clarify. just
    | thought i would try to help, since you have not received a response in
    | over 4 hours.
    |
    | Kevin wrote:
    || I have been unable to get my XP2 stations to allow the
    || \\server\admin$ and the \\server\C$ to work on remote
    || sites after enabling the Firewall. The weird part is I
    || can get the local stations on our subnet to work but not
    || on the regional offices when I try to connect through
    || Computer management it says it "cant find the station and
    || the network path was not found" I can ping the stations
    || no problem by IP and Domain name. I have enabled the
    || exceptions with our current programs but also freed
    || up "File and Print sharing" Remote "Assistance
    || (both)" "C:\windows\system32\share.exe" under the
    || connection settings in advanced (ICMP) I checked 1,3,4 and
    || 10. Under the ICMP below I checked 1,3 and 4. Last
    || thing if I turn the firewall off the problem is gone but
    || that defeats the security benefit. If anyone has any
    || insight on what the issue is I would greatly appreciate
    || it.

    Like TCP port 135.

    --
    Dave

    We are using the default Windows Firewall that comes with
    Service Pack 2 and we are trying to allow access to the
    admin shares (should be open by default). This does work
    within our local subnet it maps the drives without any
    problems. When I choose another subnet/remote location it
    says it cant find the machine which I know is on and can
    ping it over the Wan. I cant get to either Admin$ or C$
    so I am limited to what I can do to these remote stations.
    Norton wont install to these clients because it needs
    access to admin$ share. I appreciate your help in advance.

    i understand it works fine within your own subnet. the problem is
    trying to connect to a remote PC or another subnet. from this point on,
    it is probably best for you to talk with your network administrator and
    ask him the following questions, since you and i are not able to get an
    answer:

    how are you trying to connect to the remote ? FTP using IIS ? Remote
    Desktop Connection ? Network Connection Wizard ? it is not exactly
    clear, since neither \\server\admin$ nor \\server\C$ are working now.
    if dropping "the Firewall" makes a difference, then maybe some port
    blocking is going on. for example, if you are trying to connect using
    Remote Desktop Connection, then maybe the ports are being blocked for
    RDC. if you are using RDC, then you will need to open the ports
    required for RDC on the remote PC.

    > We are using the default Windows Firewall that comes with
    > Service Pack 2 and we are trying to allow access to the
    > admin shares (should be open by default). This does work
    > within our local subnet it maps the drives without any
    > problems. When I choose another subnet/remote location it
    > says it cant find the machine which I know is on and can
    > ping it over the Wan. I cant get to either Admin$ or C$
    > so I am limited to what I can do to these remote stations.
    > Norton wont install to these clients because it needs
    > access to admin$ share. I appreciate your help in advance.

    Look at the settings.

    It is set to only allow access from its own subnet.
    You need to use custom list and specifiy all subnets in your org
    I answered this in more detail in one of the other groups you posted to.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    >i understand it works fine within your own subnet. the problem is trying
    >to connect to a remote PC or another subnet. from this point on, it is
    >probably best for you to talk with your network administrator and ask him
    >the following questions, since you and i are not able to get an answer:
    >
    > how are you trying to connect to the remote ? FTP using IIS ? Remote
    > Desktop Connection ? Network Connection Wizard ? it is not exactly
    > clear, since neither \\server\admin$ nor \\server\C$ are working now. if
    > dropping "the Firewall" makes a difference, then maybe some port blocking
    > is going on. for example, if you are trying to connect using Remote
    > Desktop Connection, then maybe the ports are being blocked for RDC. if
    > you are using RDC, then you will need to open the ports required for RDC
    > on the remote PC.
    >

    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
    >> We are using the default Windows Firewall that comes with Service Pack 2
    >> and we are trying to allow access to the admin shares (should be open by
    >> default). This does work within our local subnet it maps the drives
    >> without any problems. When I choose another subnet/remote location it
    >> says it cant find the machine which I know is on and can ping it over the
    >> Wan. I cant get to either Admin$ or C$ so I am limited to what I can do
    >> to these remote stations.
    >> Norton wont install to these clients because it needs access to admin$
    >> share. I appreciate your help in advance.

    Mark I hate to bother you but can you repost what your
    wrote I cant find anything from the posts I put out.
    Would you know which one you replyed too?

    Thanks again

    Sure, here it is.

    Take a look at the exception for File and Printer Sharing.
    Edit it.
    Is the scope Subnet?
    Your remote offices are probably on different subnets.

    Click Change scope.
    Use the custom list.
    Add all your subnets and you should then get access.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

Windows XP