SMS Feb MSSecure_1033.CAB missing critcal updates for XP

Tags:
  • Windows XP
March 4, 2005 11:41:15 AM

I am using SMS to install critical patches. Because of a corporate firewall,
I must download the cab file for SMS manually from location
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23130. I have downloaded and
installed all the applicable updates using the MBSA tool. However, when
subsequently running Windows Update on my Windows XP SP2 computer, it
identified the following three updates as still needed:

KB 887472
KB 890830
KB 886185

I have extracted the mssecure.xml from the MSSecure_1033.CAB to list the
contents. Only 886185 is found and only in the Mapping SUSPatchName section.
The BulletinDatastore is DataVersion="2005.2.8.0"

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide.

Regards,
Denise

More about : sms feb mssecure 1033 cab missing critcal updates

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 9:07:23 PM

dd wrote:

> I am using SMS to install critical patches. Because of a corporate firewall,
> I must download the cab file for SMS manually from location
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23130. I have downloaded and
> installed all the applicable updates using the MBSA tool.
(snip)
> I have extracted the mssecure.xml from the MSSecure_1033.CAB to list the
> contents. Only 886185 is found and only in the Mapping SUSPatchName section.
> The BulletinDatastore is DataVersion="2005.2.8.0"
Hi

That is an old version of mssecure.xml, current version is 2005.2.25.0
(that is the one I get when I use your download link).

From the latest mssecure.xml release notification by Doug Neal [MSFT]:

<quote>
If there are delays obtaining the latest, updated XML files, be sure you
review KB842432 to troubleshoot potential local proxy and caching issues
before posting to the to Microsoft.public.security.baseline_analyzer
newsgroup.
</quote>

How to troubleshoot catalog file downloads for Microsoft Baseline
Security Analyzer 1.2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842432

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: