Anyone use ATI Radeon 9600 to capture movies?

Hello

I am having a problem with my ATI RADEON 9600 videocard.

Here is what happens : When the VCR is on, and I am watching TV through the
computer, using a ATI program, the image is perfect. I can watch or capture
without any problem, actually the image and sound are perfect.

But, when I want to watch a videotapes through the ATI videocard, I see a
white line jumping on the top of the screen. The funny thing is that it
doesn't happen to every tape I put in my VCR, maybe 80 percent of them. With
the tapes that the ideocard likes, the image is crystal clear. It's like if
the videocard didn't like certain types of videotapes.

I know it's not my VCR, when i plug it directely to a television, the videos
are crystal clear. I even tried to plug another VCR on the videocard, the
problem is the same. White line jumping at the top of the screen.

I would really like to know how to correct this, since i have lots of video
home movies I want to put on DVD, and because of that white line, well
obviously i can't do anything.

Any ideas?????

Thanks

You can reply to this forum or reply to my email address. Please get rid of
the 'REMOVE' in my email address.

"Ykarus" <icare(REMOVE)@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am having a problem with my ATI RADEON 9600 videocard.
>
> Here is what happens : When the VCR is on, and I am watching TV through
the
> computer, using a ATI program, the image is perfect. I can watch or
capture
> without any problem, actually the image and sound are perfect.
>
> But, when I want to watch a videotapes through the ATI videocard, I see a
> white line jumping on the top of the screen. The funny thing is that it
> doesn't happen to every tape I put in my VCR, maybe 80 percent of them.
With
> the tapes that the ideocard likes, the image is crystal clear. It's like
if
> the videocard didn't like certain types of videotapes.
>
> I know it's not my VCR, when i plug it directely to a television, the
videos
> are crystal clear. I even tried to plug another VCR on the videocard, the
> problem is the same. White line jumping at the top of the screen.
>
> I would really like to know how to correct this, since i have lots of
video
> home movies I want to put on DVD, and because of that white line, well
> obviously i can't do anything.
>
> Any ideas?????
>
> Thanks
>
> You can reply to this forum or reply to my email address. Please get rid
of
> the 'REMOVE' in my email address.

Idea - Macrovision.
(Proof positive - some videotapes not liked. Any poor synch or old recording
is detected by ATI as macrovision copy protection).

Solution - in my experience, none.

More info - http://www.biline.ca/ati_macrovision.htm - none of these
solutions have ever worked for me.

Laurence

Hello

I read your message and checked out the link. Seems lots and lots of work...
I'll ask a friend to help me with it.

Thanks again...

Somebody already told me it might be a copyright stuff, but i didn't believe
it since it was doing it also with old home movies...

You were not able to disable Macrovision? So... what do you do with your
tapes, then?

Rémi

> Hello
>
> I read your message and checked out the link. Seems lots and lots of
work...
> I'll ask a friend to help me with it.
>
> Thanks again...
>
> Somebody already told me it might be a copyright stuff, but i didn't
believe
> it since it was doing it also with old home movies...
>
> You were not able to disable Macrovision? So... what do you do with your
> tapes, then?

I find recent home recordings are OK, but older ones usually trigger ATIs
macrovision detect. Apparently (from reading all messages on the topic in
the past) ATI's Macrovision detection is particular sensitive, so sometimes
kicks in even when it is not supposed to. How kind of them to err on the
side of caution, to make damn sure we can not copy anything that just might
be a copy protected tape because it has a few flickers on the synch.

My answer is to switch to DVD - there is nothing that DVDshrink
http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html cannot handle (!).

If I absolutely had to archive video tapes to HDD or DVD then I would switch
to a different capture card eg Haupage.

Most commercial tapes are impossible - have no such