EFS, Recovery Agent, Lost CERT's, same user.....HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I recently encryped a lot of files on my XP Pro machine. I am in the same
user account, which has full admin privilages. I was messing around in the
security areas and I believe I deleted my CERT made for my user, because I
cannot open of inencrypt any of the files I encryped on my same user. So I
am wondering how to get these files back. I'm guess mkaing a new CERT based
on ym user profile or sometin from XP but i have no idea how to do this.
Please help guys.

Thanks alot,

-Brian

Brian;
You need all the originals.
You can not recreate the keys, profile etc.
If you do not have the originals, your data is as good as gone.
Follow this link for ways to prevent this in the future:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Brian Feinizmer" <brianf@bfserver.com> wrote in message
>I recently encryped a lot of files on my XP Pro machine. I am in the same
> user account, which has full admin privilages. I was messing around in
> the
> security areas and I believe I deleted my CERT made for my user, because I
> cannot open of inencrypt any of the files I encryped on my same user. So
> am wondering how to get these files back. I'm guess mkaing a new CERT
> based
> on ym user profile or sometin from XP but i have no idea how to do this.
> Please help guys.
>
> Thanks alot,
>
> -Brian

hmm it was my understanding form reading other posts that the certs or keys
are created from the user, becasue everyone had reformatted and then was
wondering about their data....

i am on the exact same user, no other changes...so couldent i recreate it
soemhow....

ANY other ways???

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Brian;
> You need all the originals.
> You can not recreate the keys, profile etc.
> If you do not have the originals, your data is as good as gone.
> Follow this link for ways to prevent this in the future:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Brian Feinizmer" <brianf@bfserver.com> wrote in message
> >I recently encryped a lot of files on my XP Pro machine. I am in the same
> > user account, which has full admin privilages. I was messing around in
> > the
> > security areas and I believe I deleted my CERT made for my user, because I
> > cannot open of inencrypt any of the files I encryped on my same user. So
> > am wondering how to get these files back. I'm guess mkaing a new CERT
> > based
> > on ym user profile or sometin from XP but i have no idea how to do this.
> > Please help guys.
> >
> > Thanks alot,
> >
> > -Brian

hmm it was my understanding form reading other posts that the certs or keys
are created from the user, becasue everyone had reformatted and then was
wondering about their data....

i am on the exact same user, no other changes...so couldent i recreate it
soemhow....

ANY other ways???

thanks again

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Brian;
> You need all the originals.
> You can not recreate the keys, profile etc.
> If you do not have the originals, your data is as good as gone.
> Follow this link for ways to prevent this in the future:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/encrypt.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Brian Feinizmer" <brianf@bfserver.com> wrote in message
> >I recently encryped a lot of files on my XP Pro machine. I am in the same
> > user account, which has full admin privilages. I was messing around in
> > the
> > security areas and I believe I deleted my CERT made for my user, because I
> > cannot open of inencrypt any of the files I encryped on my same user. So
> > am wondering how to get these files back. I'm guess mkaing a new CERT
> > based
> > on ym user profile or sometin from XP but i have no idea how to do this.
> > Please help guys.
> >
> > Thanks alot,
> >
> > -Brian

Brian;
If you could simply recreate the user, EFS would not be secure.
Anyone with the stolen encrypted data could simply recreate the user and
have access to the data.
But EFS is more secure than that.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]