Spyware has never been this bad.

Hello.
XP Home with SP1 (SP2 will NOT go on my system, TRUST ME)
1.6 Ghz, 512 RAM
Norton Antivirus 2005 (updated weekly)
Ad-aware (updated weekly)
Spybot
XP firewall enabled

I've had spyware before, but not in a long time nor never this bad.

From EliteToolBar--that keeps returning, over & over, to others.

Following Norton's Support 10 or more times has not worked. In fact, the
LOCATION of the spyware-related folders/files in the registry has not been
what Norton's written support has stated. I've run NAV2005, Ad-aware, &
Spybot in SAFE MODE too (recently).

As soon as I "get rid" of them, they come right back. Popup ads are
interfering with my business.

Any bright ideas out there? What's the deal?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Frustratingly Your's,

--
Bill Bowers
Georgetown, Indiana

| Hello.
| XP Home with SP1 (SP2 will NOT go on my system, TRUST ME)
| 1.6 Ghz, 512 RAM
| Norton Antivirus 2005 (updated weekly)
| Ad-aware (updated weekly)
| Spybot
| XP firewall enabled
|
| I've had spyware before, but not in a long time nor never this bad.
|
| From EliteToolBar--that keeps returning, over & over, to others.
|
| Following Norton's Support 10 or more times has not worked. In fact, the
| LOCATION of the spyware-related folders/files in the registry has not been
| what Norton's written support has stated. I've run NAV2005, Ad-aware, &
| Spybot in SAFE MODE too (recently).
|
| As soon as I "get rid" of them, they come right back. Popup ads are
| interfering with my business.
|
| Any bright ideas out there? What's the deal?
|
| Thanks, in advance, for your help.
|
| Frustratingly Your's,
|
| --
| Bill Bowers
| Georgetown, Indiana

I hope that's Ad-aware SE v1.05.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

After you clean boot WinXP perform the scans. Make sure you update Ad-aware new definitions
were released Today.

--
Dave

Malke

David H. Lipman wrote:

> | Hello.
> | XP Home with SP1 (SP2 will NOT go on my system, TRUST ME)
> | 1.6 Ghz, 512 RAM
> | Norton Antivirus 2005 (updated weekly)
> | Ad-aware (updated weekly)
> | Spybot
> | XP firewall enabled
> |
> | I've had spyware before, but not in a long time nor never this bad.
> |
> | From EliteToolBar--that keeps returning, over & over, to others.
> |
> | Following Norton's Support 10 or more times has not worked. In fact,
> | the LOCATION of the spyware-related folders/files in the registry
> | has not been
> | what Norton's written support has stated. I've run NAV2005,
> | Ad-aware, & Spybot in SAFE MODE too (recently).
> |
> | As soon as I "get rid" of them, they come right back. Popup ads are
> | interfering with my business.
> |
> | Any bright ideas out there? What's the deal?
> |
> | Thanks, in advance, for your help.
> |
> | Frustratingly Your's,
> |
> | --
> | Bill Bowers
> | Georgetown, Indiana
>

> I hope that's Ad-aware SE v1.05.
>
> How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
>
> After you clean boot WinXP perform the scans. Make sure you update
> Ad-aware new definitions were released Today.

In addition to David's excellent advice, do make sure you are performing
all scans in Safe Mode. I would also run HijackThis and the Elite
Toolbar Remover which you can get at www.majorgeeks.com. HJT is
requires expert skills. Read the tutorial and then post your log at one
of the sites below (not here, please). I particularly recommend the
AumHa forums. Please read all posting FAQs.

http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
Eshelman
http://aumha.net - forums
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis