Access to protected files - drive cloned and installed in ..

March 6, 2005 9:55:02 AM

I am assisting a friend in migrating to a new computer. Before retiring his
old computer (Dell 8200), we cloned his primary drive using Norton Ghost and
installed it with a USB external enclosure on his new computer (Dell 8600).
Both OS's are WinXP. Unfortunately, we cannot access security protected files
on that drive due to restricted access placed on his files via WinXP user
security. Even as local administrator, we are not successful in accessing
files under his previous user account.

We do not have access to the previous computer and this cloned drive is not
bootable.

We contacted Dell. They insit if the drive is not bootable and the old pc is
not availible, we are out of luck.

Are there tools availible for us to remove or modify the permissions and let
us gain access to the previously protected files on that drive?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 6, 2005 12:17:37 PM

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Curt" wrote:

| I am assisting a friend in migrating to a new computer. Before retiring his
| old computer (Dell 8200), we cloned his primary drive using Norton Ghost and
| installed it with a USB external enclosure on his new computer (Dell 8600).
| Both OS's are WinXP. Unfortunately, we cannot access security protected files
| on that drive due to restricted access placed on his files via WinXP user
| security. Even as local administrator, we are not successful in accessing
| files under his previous user account.
|
| We do not have access to the previous computer and this cloned drive is not
| bootable.
|
| We contacted Dell. They insit if the drive is not bootable and the old pc is
| not availible, we are out of luck.
|
| Are there tools availible for us to remove or modify the permissions and let
| us gain access to the previously protected files on that drive?
March 6, 2005 2:23:08 PM

Thanks man.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "Curt" wrote:
>
> | I am assisting a friend in migrating to a new computer. Before retiring his
> | old computer (Dell 8200), we cloned his primary drive using Norton Ghost and
> | installed it with a USB external enclosure on his new computer (Dell 8600).
> | Both OS's are WinXP. Unfortunately, we cannot access security protected files
> | on that drive due to restricted access placed on his files via WinXP user
> | security. Even as local administrator, we are not successful in accessing
> | files under his previous user account.
> |
> | We do not have access to the previous computer and this cloned drive is not
> | bootable.
> |
> | We contacted Dell. They insit if the drive is not bootable and the old pc is
> | not availible, we are out of luck.
> |
> | Are there tools availible for us to remove or modify the permissions and let
> | us gain access to the previously protected files on that drive?

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
March 18, 2005 5:17:07 AM

i protect my word and excel files with password now i forget my password how
i can open my files. please help me