ATI card and lockups on FarCry, Doom3, Soldner and BFVietnam

Hi folks, I need your help...

I have a new computer (P4 3.0 GHz, with an ASUS P4S800 mb, 1 gb of 400MHz
ram, ATI Radeon Pro 9800 with 246 mb ram, WinXP Home SP1a) and when I try to
play the games mentioned in the subject line, I get a complete lockup and
sometimes a black screen within about 2 minutes of starting the games. Has
anyone else had this? I have the latest Catalyst Driver installed. The best
bet is the video card because in Battlefield Vietnam, I got a prompt telling
me that the card had stopped rendering. It also emailed the error to ATI.

TIA

Stahler

In article <xUDYc.5088$CG3.416180@news20.bellglobal.com>,
dryerson@bellnet.ca (DR) wrote:

> I get a complete lockup and sometimes a black screen within
> about 2 minutes of starting the games

Sounds very much like an overheating problem. Try taking the side of the
case off (assuming it has a side :), then run something and see if it
takes longer to have a problem. Something as simple as a PCI slot cooler
(cheap & quiet) might drop case temperature enough to allow the vid card
to stay stable.

Oh, and with the side of the case off you'll be able to check whether the
fan's running on the vid card... though if that wasn't working I'd expect
it to lock up sooner than a couple of minutes.

Of course none of this should be an issue on a new computer (unless it's a
self build, obviously).

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon. There's nothing worse spending
money only to find you bought a headache :)

Andrew McP

"DR" <dryerson@bellnet.ca> wrote in message
> Hi folks, I need your help...
>
> I have a new computer (P4 3.0 GHz, with an ASUS P4S800 mb, 1 gb of 400MHz
> ram, ATI Radeon Pro 9800 with 246 mb ram, WinXP Home SP1a) and when I try
> play the games mentioned in the subject line, I get a complete lockup and
> sometimes a black screen within about 2 minutes of starting the games. Has
> anyone else had this? I have the latest Catalyst Driver installed. The
best
> bet is the video card because in Battlefield Vietnam, I got a prompt
telling
> me that the card had stopped rendering. It also emailed the error to ATI.
>
> TIA
>
> Stahler

Please leave feedback if this is solved..... because I've just ordered a lot
of components that are near identical to yours. I really don't want any
trouble. (First build)

In fact, the only things different with our systems is that my motherboard
will be a P4S800D and have only 128MB of video memory rather than your
256MB. My vid card is the Iceq card from His. What's yours btw?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"DR" <dryerson@bellnet.ca> wrote in message
> Hi folks, I need your help...
>
> I have a new computer (P4 3.0 GHz, with an ASUS P4S800 mb, 1 gb of 400MHz
> ram, ATI Radeon Pro 9800 with 246 mb ram, WinXP Home SP1a) and when I try
> play the games mentioned in the subject line, I get a complete lockup and
> sometimes a black screen within about 2 minutes of starting the games. Has
> anyone else had this? I have the latest Catalyst Driver installed. The
best
> bet is the video card because in Battlefield Vietnam, I got a prompt
telling
> me that the card had stopped rendering. It also emailed the error to ATI.
>
> TIA
>
> Stahler

1st thing to try - use 4xAGP instead of 8x
no decernable differance in performance but
generally more stable.
2nd thing - disable VPU recover. it can cause
problems for some users.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I did not try taking the side off. Ive
taken the computer back to the store to have them look at it. It was not a
self build, it was built at a store by some techno-geeks, who all got an 'A'
in arithmetic :)

Stahler

Jd

"Of course none of this should be an issue on a new computer (unless it's a
self build, obviously)."

Anything can come DOA, I've seen it happen.

In article <PoUYc.264953$M95.175904@pd7tw1no>,
forsaleatroadwormdotcom@readthefirstpart.com (JD) wrote:

> Anything can come DOA, I've seen it happen.

Oh, I agree. I meant that if he put it together himself it's his problem
to sort out (though obviously it could be a faulty vid card, or poorly
mounted vid card cooler). If it's a bought system then he can always send
it back.

Andrew McP

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:33:43 +0100, "The Berzerker"
<Berzerker@Wooooo.com> wrote/replied to:

>Please leave feedback if this is solved..... because I've just ordered a lot
>of components that are near identical to yours. I really don't want any
>trouble. (First build)
>
>In fact, the only things different with our systems is that my motherboard
>will be a P4S800D and have only 128MB of video memory rather than your
>256MB. My vid card is the Iceq card from His. What's yours btw?

Make sure you reinstall the latest AGP driver for your MB after
upgrading all the other stuff like video drivers, sound drivers, etc.

And here's something you can do right now. Change your AGP speed to
4x. You won't notice the difference in speed, but I'll bet money your
computer crashing stops.

--
Jim Davis, President, Eastern Beaver Company
http://www.easternbeaver.com/

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:10:27 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com>
wrote/replied to:

>1st thing to try - use 4xAGP instead of 8x
>no decernable differance in performance but
>generally more stable.
>2nd thing - disable VPU recover. it can cause
>problems for some users.

Very good advice. Please get back to us with the results.