out of range error in safe mode only

This has been a real puzzle for me. Neovo LCD monitor and Radeon 8600 Pro
with newest catalyst drivers. XP Pro.
Neovo 17 inch LCD monitor.
Everything works great EXCEPT:
When I boot into safe mode I get "input signal out of range" and black
screen.
This only happens booting into safe mode. It happens with desktop settings
1024x768 (usual) or 800x600, frequency 60hz or 70hz. I can boot into special
VGA mode without problems (but this is not a safe mode with minimal drivers,
etc.).
Any thoughts? I haven't been able to get any kind of a sensible explanation
for this. Is it possible that some setting in my ATI control panel is
causing this behavior in safe mode only?

bump
anyone please?