Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problems with latest Catalyst

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 31, 2004 1:03:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I don't know exactly why but my systems has become unstable since I
installed the Catalyst 4.8 or previous.

Everything works fine but suddently, especially by using the file explorer,
the systems freezes for a while.
After what, the screen reappears as normal but the ATi icon close to the
clock has disappeared.

Sometimes, when I click on my mouse's right button on a icon or a file to
see the properties, the problem happen again.

I tried memtest86 and no problem with the RAM.

By the way, I can play UT2004 for one hour without any problem...

I think that there's a problem of compatibility between the latest Catalyst
driver and Windows (explorer).

Am I alone to live that ?

Thanks a lot for your help if you can.

Regards,

Andre
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 1:03:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

This type of failure should be caught by the system logs! You do realise
your system creates logs don't you. Anyway you can find these logs in the
Control Panel> Administrative tools> Event Viewer.

Crimson Liar

"Andre" <oufti@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
news:413379ef$0$62391$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
>I don't know exactly why but my systems has become unstable since I
> installed the Catalyst 4.8 or previous.
>
> Everything works fine but suddently, especially by using the file
> explorer,
> the systems freezes for a while.
> After what, the screen reappears as normal but the ATi icon close to the
> clock has disappeared.
>
> Sometimes, when I click on my mouse's right button on a icon or a file to
> see the properties, the problem happen again.
>
> I tried memtest86 and no problem with the RAM.
>
> By the way, I can play UT2004 for one hour without any problem...
>
> I think that there's a problem of compatibility between the latest
> Catalyst
> driver and Windows (explorer).
>
> Am I alone to live that ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help if you can.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andre
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: 497 - Release Date: 27/08/2004
August 31, 2004 1:03:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Those symptoms are typical of not cleaning the old
Catalyst driver off before installing the new one. You
have to use the ATI uninstall program.

johns
Related resources
August 31, 2004 1:38:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Andre wrote:
> I don't know exactly why but my systems has become unstable since I
> installed the Catalyst 4.8 or previous.
>
> Everything works fine but suddently, especially by using the file explorer,
> the systems freezes for a while.
> After what, the screen reappears as normal but the ATi icon close to the
> clock has disappeared.
>
> Sometimes, when I click on my mouse's right button on a icon or a file to
> see the properties, the problem happen again.
>
> I tried memtest86 and no problem with the RAM.
>
> By the way, I can play UT2004 for one hour without any problem...
>
> I think that there's a problem of compatibility between the latest Catalyst
> driver and Windows (explorer).
>
> Am I alone to live that ?
>
> Thanks a lot for your help if you can.

Not had those exact problems, but the 4.8s caused lockups within a
couple of minutes into a game for me. They stayed on my system for
literally about 15 minutes before 4.7 went back on. End of my problems.

The 3.11.1 drivers just released for Linux also had the same problem,
but much worse. Those were so bad I had trouble (as in, a couple of
hours of trying.. Watching the POST screen gets extremely tedious after
a while..) keeping the system up long enough to uninstall them and
reboot. Hell, it staying up long enough to log in under a text mode
console was rare enough..

Put together (shared code, etc.) they class as the worst drivers I've
ever encountered, in my opinion.
August 31, 2004 2:48:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

If true, then why doesn't ATI include that as part of the driver install?
Nvidia drivers let you install over the top. I noticed while updating to
the newest cat 4.8 that the install died and told me to first uninstall the
old drivers and switch to svga. Seems like a pita.

DaveL


"johns" <johns123@moscow.com> wrote in message
news:ch0h1h$2taj$1@news.fsr.net...
> Those symptoms are typical of not cleaning the old
> Catalyst driver off before installing the new one. You
> have to use the ATI uninstall program.
>
> johns
>
>
August 31, 2004 3:07:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Sorry, this is my system :

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
CPU Intel P4 3.2c 512k FSB800
2 x 512 Mb RAM APACER PC3200
ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro 128 Mb
1 x Maxtor 200 Gb SATA
SB Audigy 2

Everything ran fine until I updated to the last Catalyst.
But off course, I cannot be sure that the drivers are the only cause of
these system crashes.

Where can I find the 4.6 ?

Thanks

Andre



"Dr Richard Cranium" <dracman@compuserve.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:413383b6$0$14449$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com...
> Am I alone to live that ? i don't think so.
>
> you don't mention what your PC system has/is, so i must wag an answer.
> memtest86 ? does this test memory like a game would ? full blast and on
the ragged edge ?
> maybe i'll try it.
>
> i went back to the 4 6 's. (with Far Cry and everything else).
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
>
> ** No Fate **
>
> cheers,
> dracman
> Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
>
> ** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
> http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm
>
> ** GTA III vice City Character MOD
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3
>
> ** Singles: Flirt UP Your Life AI and character MOD
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm#singles
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1pictu...
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1midas...
>
> **savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
>
> ** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm
>
> ** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm
>
> **purchase Tomb Raider 1 PC CD **
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm#tombraider1
>
> ===============================
> ** No Pili'kaia **
>
>
> "Andre" <oufti@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> news:413379ef$0$62391$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
> : I don't know exactly why but my systems has become unstable since I
> : installed the Catalyst 4.8 or previous.
> :
> : Everything works fine but suddently, especially by using the file
explorer,
> : the systems freezes for a while.
> : After what, the screen reappears as normal but the ATi icon close to the
> : clock has disappeared.
> :
> : Sometimes, when I click on my mouse's right button on a icon or a file
to
> : see the properties, the problem happen again.
> :
> : I tried memtest86 and no problem with the RAM.
> :
> : By the way, I can play UT2004 for one hour without any problem...
> :
> : I think that there's a problem of compatibility between the latest
Catalyst
> : driver and Windows (explorer).
> :
> : Am I alone to live that ?
> :
> : Thanks a lot for your help if you can.
> :
> : Regards,
> :
> : Andre
> :
> :
>
>
>
>
> ................................................................
> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
> >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>
August 31, 2004 3:07:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

for windows Xp try here
http://www.ati.com/support/products/radeonwinxpprevious...

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:07:06 +0200, "Andre" <oufti@rocketmail.com>
wrote:

>Sorry, this is my system :
>
>ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
>CPU Intel P4 3.2c 512k FSB800
>2 x 512 Mb RAM APACER PC3200
>ATI AIW Radeon 9700 Pro 128 Mb
>1 x Maxtor 200 Gb SATA
>SB Audigy 2
>
>Everything ran fine until I updated to the last Catalyst.
>But off course, I cannot be sure that the drivers are the only cause of
>these system crashes.
>
>Where can I find the 4.6 ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Andre
>
>
>
>"Dr Richard Cranium" <dracman@compuserve.com> a écrit dans le message de
>news:413383b6$0$14449$a8266bb1@news.titannews.com...
>> Am I alone to live that ? i don't think so.
>>
>> you don't mention what your PC system has/is, so i must wag an answer.
>> memtest86 ? does this test memory like a game would ? full blast and on
>the ragged edge ?
>> maybe i'll try it.
>>
>> i went back to the 4 6 's. (with Far Cry and everything else).
>>
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
>>
>> ** No Fate **
>>
>> cheers,
>> dracman
>> Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
>>
>> ** Far Cry with Valerie as the Adventuress **
>> http://www.smokeypoint.org/farCry.htm
>>
>> ** GTA III vice City Character MOD
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3
>>
>> ** Singles: Flirt UP Your Life AI and character MOD
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/childrenspajamas.htm#singles
>>
>> http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1pictu...
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1/tombraider1midas...
>>
>> **savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm
>>
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
>>
>> ** Win2k and winXP hi-res with TR1
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm
>>
>> ** Tomb Raider 1 add on UB levels
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova
>>
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm
>>
>> **purchase Tomb Raider 1 PC CD **
>> http://www.smokeypoint.com/medipak.htm#tombraider1
>>
>> ===============================
>> ** No Pili'kaia **
>>
>>
>> "Andre" <oufti@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:413379ef$0$62391$5fc3050@dreader2.news.tiscali.nl...
>> : I don't know exactly why but my systems has become unstable since I
>> : installed the Catalyst 4.8 or previous.
>> :
>> : Everything works fine but suddently, especially by using the file
>explorer,
>> : the systems freezes for a while.
>> : After what, the screen reappears as normal but the ATi icon close to the
>> : clock has disappeared.
>> :
>> : Sometimes, when I click on my mouse's right button on a icon or a file
>to
>> : see the properties, the problem happen again.
>> :
>> : I tried memtest86 and no problem with the RAM.
>> :
>> : By the way, I can play UT2004 for one hour without any problem...
>> :
>> : I think that there's a problem of compatibility between the latest
>Catalyst
>> : driver and Windows (explorer).
>> :
>> : Am I alone to live that ?
>> :
>> : Thanks a lot for your help if you can.
>> :
>> : Regards,
>> :
>> : Andre
>> :
>> :
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ................................................................
>> Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
>> >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
>> -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
>>
>
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 3:51:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:48:11 -0700, DaveL wrote:

> If true, then why doesn't ATI include that as part of the driver install?
> Nvidia drivers let you install over the top. I noticed while updating to
> the newest cat 4.8 that the install died and told me to first uninstall the
> old drivers and switch to svga. Seems like a pita.

It's because someone already wrote the program DriverCleaner. Why would
ATI want to spend time writing their own version?

Besides, it would just be another program someone would complain didn't
work right when their system locked up after using it. ;-) I'd rather ATI
concentrate on drivers and leave the cleaning program to someone else who
seems to have done an outstanding job.

Dave
--
You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.
August 31, 2004 2:58:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> If true, then why doesn't ATI include that as part of the driver install?

I don't really know. I do get the impression that ATI is a bunch
of arrogant snobs, and I think they have finally been driven
by all the complaints and ridicule to some kind of token support
of the "driver" community ... i.e. the gamers. Reason I believe
this is the history of the FireGL "workstation cards". If you
check carefully, you'll see that those $800 cards are nothing but
the standard "gamer" cards with a BIOS change. I actually think
the situation was really that ATI was catering to the Engineering
community, but then decided to use the same cards for the gamers.
However, they never took us seriously until we started raising
hell about the lousy performance of their cards in more demanding
games. Only in the last few months have the Catalyst drivers
cleaned up to give good performance in games. Anything before
Catalyst 4.5 is pure garbage, and was causing all the problems
listed by the original poster here. Even then, ATI made little
or no effort to inform the gaming community of the need for a
clean install of their drivers. When they finally generated
the uninstall program, and let us know what the problem was,
our games improved a great deal .... it was just the drivers
all along. I went through ALL of this .. the lockups, crashing,
resets, weird artifacts, on and on and on in every game I had
.... RTCW, MOHAA, COD, Far Cry, Doom 3 .. until I installed Cat
4.5. All of the lockups stopped, but still artifacts, and low
frame rate. Cat 4.6 fixed the weird artifacts. Cat 4.8 raised
the frame rate nearly 10 percent. You should see Far Cry on
my machine now. It is really nice. The graphics are beautiful.
And the frame rate is very good even in the most demanding
levels. The game AI has gone up to the point that I see things
in the game I never saw before. The game is much more logical
now. Frankly, ATI deserved the comments coming from every
computer store out there .. "They can't write drivers!" What
they should have said was, "They WON'T WRITE DRIVERS!"

johns
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:33:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

>I don't know exactly why but my systems has become unstable since I
>installed the Catalyst 4.8 or previous.
>
>Everything works fine but suddently, especially by using the file explorer,
>the systems freezes for a while.
>After what, the screen reappears as normal but the ATi icon close to the
>clock has disappeared.
>
>Sometimes, when I click on my mouse's right button on a icon or a file to
>see the properties, the problem happen again.
>
>I tried memtest86 and no problem with the RAM.
>
>By the way, I can play UT2004 for one hour without any problem...
>
>I think that there's a problem of compatibility between the latest Catalyst
>driver and Windows (explorer).
>
>Am I alone to live that ?

I don't think so! Some how, I did not tie this problem to the ATI
drivers! Same problem here! Except I am using Powerdesk instead of
Explorer.

I'd almost revert to an earlier version even if it meant slower frame
rates on Doom 3, etc...!


>
>Thanks a lot for your help if you can.
>
>Regards,
>
>Andre
>

-pw
remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
(use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
September 1, 2004 5:27:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

johns123@moscow.com (johns) wrote:
> > If true, then why doesn't ATI include that as part of the driver install?
>
> I don't really know. I do get the impression that ATI is a bunch
> of arrogant snobs, and I think they have finally been driven
> by all the complaints and ridicule to some kind of token support
> of the "driver" community ... i.e. the gamers. Reason I believe
> this is the history of the FireGL "workstation cards". If you
> check carefully, you'll see that those $800 cards are nothing but
> the standard "gamer" cards with a BIOS change. I actually think
> the situation was really that ATI was catering to the Engineering
> community, but then decided to use the same cards for the gamers.
> However, they never took us seriously until we started raising
> hell about the lousy performance of their cards in more demanding
> games. Only in the last few months have the Catalyst drivers
> cleaned up to give good performance in games. Anything before
> Catalyst 4.5 is pure garbage, and was causing all the problems
> listed by the original poster here. Even then, ATI made little
> or no effort to inform the gaming community of the need for a
> clean install of their drivers. When they finally generated
> the uninstall program, and let us know what the problem was,
> our games improved a great deal .... it was just the drivers
> all along. I went through ALL of this .. the lockups, crashing,
> resets, weird artifacts, on and on and on in every game I had
> ... RTCW, MOHAA, COD, Far Cry, Doom 3 .. until I installed Cat
> 4.5. All of the lockups stopped, but still artifacts, and low
> frame rate. Cat 4.6 fixed the weird artifacts. Cat 4.8 raised
> the frame rate nearly 10 percent. You should see Far Cry on
> my machine now. It is really nice. The graphics are beautiful.
> And the frame rate is very good even in the most demanding
> levels. The game AI has gone up to the point that I see things
> in the game I never saw before. The game is much more logical
> now. Frankly, ATI deserved the comments coming from every
> computer store out there .. "They can't write drivers!" What
> they should have said was, "They WON'T WRITE DRIVERS!"
>
> johns

While this may be mostly subjective, I think you may be right.
However, my personal experience with Catalyst drivers haven't caused a
single lock-up, artifact hell or slow frame-rate experience. I don't
know why, since there's always someone complaining about the drivers.
I consider myself to be a lucky bastard, I guess. Totally surprised
by the good performance on "Doom 3" and "Far Cry". Although, I have a
feeling I lack enough system memory with only 512 megs of ddr
installed.
September 1, 2004 1:40:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On 1 Sep 2004 01:27:34 -0700, nada_says@hotmail.com (Nada) wrote:

>While this may be mostly subjective, I think you may be right.
>However, my personal experience with Catalyst drivers haven't caused a
>single lock-up, artifact hell or slow frame-rate experience. I don't
>know why, since there's always someone complaining about the drivers.
>I consider myself to be a lucky bastard, I guess. Totally surprised
>by the good performance on "Doom 3" and "Far Cry". Although, I have a
>feeling I lack enough system memory with only 512 megs of ddr
>installed.

It is more down to luck with which games you play. I was on 3.7's for
ages as the higher ones broke Ghost Recon. I now stick with the 4.4's
as a couple of subsequent drivers (I haven't tried the last one) broke
TOCA 2. The majority of games I play are fine no matter what driver I
use, but usually I find one game causes a problem with most Catalyst
releases.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 4:17:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Don't know what the fuss is all about. No Cat driver problems here. Had a
minor glitch with 3.8 (can't remember what now), but nothing since.

"pw" <***paulwilliamson@***spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:73kaj0dq6i3pev8of9vovi06kj1he6jp7u@4ax.com...
> >I don't know exactly why but my systems has become unstable since I
> >installed the Catalyst 4.8 or previous.
> >
> >Everything works fine but suddently, especially by using the file
explorer,
> >the systems freezes for a while.
> >After what, the screen reappears as normal but the ATi icon close to the
> >clock has disappeared.
> >
> >Sometimes, when I click on my mouse's right button on a icon or a file to
> >see the properties, the problem happen again.
> >
> >I tried memtest86 and no problem with the RAM.
> >
> >By the way, I can play UT2004 for one hour without any problem...
> >
> >I think that there's a problem of compatibility between the latest
Catalyst
> >driver and Windows (explorer).
> >
> >Am I alone to live that ?
>
> I don't think so! Some how, I did not tie this problem to the ATI
> drivers! Same problem here! Except I am using Powerdesk instead of
> Explorer.
>
> I'd almost revert to an earlier version even if it meant slower frame
> rates on Doom 3, etc...!
>
>
> >
> >Thanks a lot for your help if you can.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Andre
> >
>
> -pw
> remove astericks (*) from e-mail address
> (use paulwilliamson at spamcop dot net)
!