Windoes Firewall

I keep getting an alert to say windows firewall is not turned on and when i
attempt to do this either from control panel or security centre i get a
message to sya that windows is unale to activate firewall.
Can you help?
4 answers Last reply
More about windoes firewall

    No, not enough info.

    "bobby tutor" <bobby tutor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I keep getting an alert to say windows firewall is not turned on and when i
    > attempt to do this either from control panel or security centre i get a
    > message to sya that windows is unale to activate firewall.
    > Can you help?

    In security centre or via control panel I am requested to enable firewall but
    after attempting to do this I get a message stating that windows security
    center is unable to do this. I am then asked to do this myself via control
    panel for windows security centre and click "on" recommended, but on doing so
    I get a message repeating that windows is unable to turn on firewall.
    This is all the info I get.

    bobby tutor wrote:

    > In security centre or via control panel I am requested to enable
    > firewall but after attempting to do this I get a message stating that
    > windows security center is unable to do this. I am then asked to do
    > this myself via control panel for windows security centre and click
    > "on" recommended, but on doing so I get a message repeating that
    > windows is unable to turn on firewall. This is all the info I get.

    The additional details that would have helped are things like what
    changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't? What
    kind of antivirus program do you have? What troubleshooting have you
    already done?

    Do you have the *beta* MS AntiSpyware program installed? "Beta" means
    software that isn't finished yet and MSAS has a known issue with the
    Windows Firewall.

    MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):

    Start>Run cmd [enter]
    netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
    Follow prompts and reboot.

    FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    bobby tutor wrote:

    > I keep getting an alert to say windows firewall is not turned on an
    > when i attempt to do this either from control panel or security centre
    > i get a message to sya that windows is unale to activate firewall.
    > Can you help?
    Hi

    If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:

    Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

    After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.

    More about this issue here as well:

    After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-
    related problems, or you receive an error message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Firewalls Security Windows XP