File and Print sharing with SP2 Firewall on multi-homed box

I think I know how to configure this, but wouldn't mind a second opinion if
anyone out there has a few minutes free.

My boss has a multi homed machine on his home network. It has a USB
broadband router, and a wireless LAN card which is used to connect to his
other computers. Internet Connection Sharing allows the broadband to be
shared with the computers on his wireless network.

I'm going to install SP2 on this machine soon, but just spotted that the
exception for File and Print sharing in the firewall appears to apply for
all connections. I want to allow sharing for the local (wireless) network
but obviously not over the internet.

I'm now wondering if I can achieve this by allowing File & Print sharing in
the firewall exceptions list, but then unbinding it from the broadband
router. It's not pretty but I think it'll work. I know I could just
install ZoneAlarm, but I'm curious as to whether SP2 is going to let me do
this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ross
2 answers Last reply
More about file print sharing firewall multi homed

    Hello Ross,
    what OS will the machine where you will install SP2 be running, IF
    XP Pro it will walk you through it. You seem to know what you are doing. You
    were right not to go with Z. Alarm. Wireless needs strong security. Zone
    Alarm the free version and the suite have become a fav. of hackers. I speak
    from experince. My home network was attacked and after asking questions at
    the RSA I found it is becoming thre norm, I am sure they will harden it up
    soon. Remember to go to advavned tab in the windows firewall and click on
    the protect my network and to set up a firewall log there. I have Trend
    Micro Internet Security 2005 now it has a great Wifi protection. As well as
    other things such as virus protect etc. I ran my wireless through a VOiP
    router then through a Belkin LAN router and a cable modem runs the back bone
    of the outfit. I have to leave soon but I will check back ASAP to see how
    things are going. Best Of LUCk To You !
    Ron J
    "Ross Smith" wrote:

    > I think I know how to configure this, but wouldn't mind a second opinion if
    > anyone out there has a few minutes free.
    >
    > My boss has a multi homed machine on his home network. It has a USB
    > broadband router, and a wireless LAN card which is used to connect to his
    > other computers. Internet Connection Sharing allows the broadband to be
    > shared with the computers on his wireless network.
    >
    > I'm going to install SP2 on this machine soon, but just spotted that the
    > exception for File and Print sharing in the firewall appears to apply for
    > all connections. I want to allow sharing for the local (wireless) network
    > but obviously not over the internet.
    >
    > I'm now wondering if I can achieve this by allowing File & Print sharing in
    > the firewall exceptions list, but then unbinding it from the broadband
    > router. It's not pretty but I think it'll work. I know I could just
    > install ZoneAlarm, but I'm curious as to whether SP2 is going to let me do
    > this.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts?
    >
    > Ross

    By default the File and Printer Sharing option in the firewall control panel
    will limit access to "My local subnet". In the presence of ICS, the firewall
    realizes that the public interface is not to be considered part of your
    local subnet so should only allow access to the files on the ics box from
    your home network.

    with all home wireless networks, keep in mind that additional security
    measures should be put in place to insure that only the machines you want on
    that network have access and that your neighbors aren't snooping in.

    --
    David
    Microsoft Windows Networking

    "Ross Smith" <junk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I think I know how to configure this, but wouldn't mind a second opinion if
    > anyone out there has a few minutes free.
    >
    > My boss has a multi homed machine on his home network. It has a USB
    > broadband router, and a wireless LAN card which is used to connect to his
    > other computers. Internet Connection Sharing allows the broadband to be
    > shared with the computers on his wireless network.
    >
    > I'm going to install SP2 on this machine soon, but just spotted that the
    > exception for File and Print sharing in the firewall appears to apply for
    > all connections. I want to allow sharing for the local (wireless) network
    > but obviously not over the internet.
    >
    > I'm now wondering if I can achieve this by allowing File & Print sharing
    > in
    > the firewall exceptions list, but then unbinding it from the broadband
    > router. It's not pretty but I think it'll work. I know I could just
    > install ZoneAlarm, but I'm curious as to whether SP2 is going to let me do
    > this.
    >
    > Anyone have any thoughts?
    >
    > Ross

Firewalls Windows XP