Memory card question - SD & MMC

April 24, 2004 7:27:31 PM

I know that the Ipaq 22xx series take MMC and SD memory cards, but what is
the difference between them? or are the essentially the same save for
read/write speeds?
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 7:27:32 PM

MMC was available before SD. SD is a bit thicker than MMC, and a bit
faster. MMC also does not have the secure tab, and doesn't come in
sizes as large as SD. The last time I checked, MMC only goes up to
128 MB.

"Neal Smith" <nealsmith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<408a79af_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
> I know that the Ipaq 22xx series take MMC and SD memory cards, but what is
> the difference between them? or are the essentially the same save for
> read/write speeds?
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 9:09:06 PM

yep same card and slot. SD has more advanced features than MMC.

"Neal Smith" <nealsmith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> I know that the Ipaq 22xx series take MMC and SD memory cards, but what is
> the difference between them? or are the essentially the same save for
> read/write speeds?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 9:09:07 PM

Neal,
My guess is that MMC cards will fade away and be replaced by the SD
series.

Your right, the main thing is the SD cards are faster, you can see this with
large files on a PDA, but on most applications, its hard to tell too much
difference in speed unless you use them on a higher speed camera like some
of the 3 frame/second ones that are out now.

The SD's are usually about 10% higher in cost then a MMC, the other big
thing is you can get the SD's up to 1 GB, most vendors don't sell larger
then 128 MB in the MMC's.
SD also has more options for security and less likely to have errors or get
wiped out by x-ray machines.

Other then that...not much I can think of !

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer

> "Neal Smith" <nealsmith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> I know that the Ipaq 22xx series take MMC and SD memory cards, but what
>> is
>> the difference between them? or are the essentially the same save for
>> read/write speeds?

Anonymous
April 24, 2004 11:43:52 PM

Some equipment can only use MMC not SD cards.

"Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.cöm> wrote in message
> Neal,
> My guess is that MMC cards will fade away and be replaced by the SD
> series.
>
> Your right, the main thing is the SD cards are faster, you can see this
with
> large files on a PDA, but on most applications, its hard to tell too much
> difference in speed unless you use them on a higher speed camera like some
> of the 3 frame/second ones that are out now.
>
> The SD's are usually about 10% higher in cost then a MMC, the other big
> thing is you can get the SD's up to 1 GB, most vendors don't sell larger
> then 128 MB in the MMC's.
> SD also has more options for security and less likely to have errors or
get
> wiped out by x-ray machines.
>
> Other then that...not much I can think of !
>
> --
> Tedd Riggs
> PDA Square Content Developer
> www.pdasquare.com
> Redmond, WA
>
> > "Neal Smith" <nealsmith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> I know that the Ipaq 22xx series take MMC and SD memory cards, but what
> >> is
> >> the difference between them? or are the essentially the same save for
> >> read/write speeds?

Anonymous
April 24, 2004 11:43:53 PM

Alan,
I had not heard that before. Any equipment that comes to mind on only
working on MMC ?
Thanks

--

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> Some equipment can only use MMC not SD cards.
>

> "Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.cöm> wrote in message
>> Neal,
>> My guess is that MMC cards will fade away and be replaced by the SD
>> series.
>>
>> Your right, the main thing is the SD cards are faster, you can see this
> with
>> large files on a PDA, but on most applications, its hard to tell too much
>> difference in speed unless you use them on a higher speed camera like
>> some
>> of the 3 frame/second ones that are out now.
>>
>> The SD's are usually about 10% higher in cost then a MMC, the other big
>> thing is you can get the SD's up to 1 GB, most vendors don't sell larger
>> then 128 MB in the MMC's.
>> SD also has more options for security and less likely to have errors or
> get
>> wiped out by x-ray machines.
>>
>> Other then that...not much I can think of !
>>
>> --
>> Tedd Riggs
>> PDA Square Content Developer
>> www.pdasquare.com
>> Redmond, WA
>>
>> > "Neal Smith" <nealsmith@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 25, 2004 11:43:28 AM

"Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.cöm> wrote:

>Alan,
> I had not heard that before. Any equipment that comes to mind on only
>working on MMC ?
>Thanks

Nokia phones often have MMC slots and pure MMC slots will not work
with SD cards. AFAIK, no PDA has one of these single card slots.
April 25, 2004 1:46:33 PM

OK thanks Ed,
I had not thought about the phones, just PDA's and Camera's and in those I
have not seen one that cannot take either.

--
Tedd Riggs
PDA Square Content Developer
www.pdasquare.com
Redmond, WA

"Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
> "Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.cöm> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>> I had not heard that before. Any equipment that comes to mind on only
>>working on MMC ?
>>Thanks
>
> Nokia phones often have MMC slots and pure MMC slots will not work
> with SD cards. AFAIK, no PDA has one of these single card slots.
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
April 25, 2004 7:04:14 PM

"Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.cöm> wrote:

>OK thanks Ed,
>I had not thought about the phones, just PDA's and Camera's and in those I
>have not seen one that cannot take either.

I found out about it by accident. I got a Nokia 3650 and a few weeks
later replace my 128MB SD with a 512MB SD in my Pocket PC. I was going
to take out the 8MB MMC that came with the phone and put the 128MB SD
in it. That was when I found out there were MMC only slots. I managed
to dig up a 32MB MMC though and for a phone that takes images in
50-90kb sizes, it is plenty. :-)
April 25, 2004 7:04:15 PM

I was surprised to see Sandisk offering the new "miniSD card" Yikes those
things are small, but it sounds like that is what most phone in Taiwan use.
At least they include an adapter so it will fit a normal size SD slot. And I
hate to admit, I could not believe the "small size and huge capacity" of my
256K PCMCIA card......

--

> "Tedd Riggs" <T_Riggs@msn.cöm> wrote:
>
>>OK thanks Ed,
>>I had not thought about the phones, just PDA's and Camera's and in those I
>>have not seen one that cannot take either.
>
> I found out about it by accident. I got a Nokia 3650 and a few weeks
> later replace my 128MB SD with a 512MB SD in my Pocket PC. I was going
> to take out the 8MB MMC that came with the phone and put the 128MB SD
> in it. That was when I found out there were MMC only slots. I managed
> to dig up a 32MB MMC though and for a phone that takes images in
> 50-90kb sizes, it is plenty. :-)
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all)
> What is on my Pocket PC? http://www.ehansberry.com/
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 7:10:04 AM

There are some mp3 players too, and my sister has a digital camera that just
takes MMC. My Minolta works with both types of card, with SD being a lot
faster at saving images.

______

!