Corsair Announces 8GB DDR3 Memory Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished
looks good but really, gaming units do not need that much RAM.
multi-tasking, heavy rendering units this will be nice to have for maybe a better price.
love Corsair RAM anyways..

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820233218A steal for ONLY $270.Are you sure Apple isn't making these?[/citation]

How much do you think a new 8GB DDR3 module should cost? $135? ...or would that be too much as well?

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]How much do you think a new 8GB DDR3 module should cost? $135? ...or would that be too much as well?[/citation]

Actually, about $112 would be fair. Considering it's selling for about $7 per GB on a 4GB Vengeance module, doubling that price @ $14 per GB seems fair? $34 per GB is downright thievery.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Honestly i would pay that much if i were running a server with a LGA 2011 chip. I would probably buy a dual CPU board if they made one for LGA 2011 like the EVGA SR-2. Then i would put 12 sticks of those in it for a total of 96 gb of ram!!! I can only dream though XD the amount of money i would need for that would be astronomical.

evo_7

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]Being that you can buy 8gb (2 x 4gb) for around $50, these are a bit to pricey if you ask me.[/citation]

I don't think its really all that pricey given this is the kind of item you'll expect to see in an enthusiast build. Some people spend $300+ on a desktop case when you could spend as low as $50 but, again, an enthusiast market will pay more for the tiniest or biggest upgrades.

G

I agree with the above comments, I've seen a set of Corsair 12GB (3 x 4GB) going for around $90.00 on Amazon, so nearly $300 ($270 + tax, shipping) for just 8GB is pretty pricey.

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
It's awesome that these are finally available but I have to ask what is the points? I mean through all my searching on Newegg.com I've found only a couple of motherboards with 6 memory slots that actually support 6x8GB sticks for a total of 48GB of memory. I mean I didn't look at server motherboards which I'd imagine could support these, but why offer a gaming grade memory stick if most motherboards can be pushed to their limits with just 4gb sticks?

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]1foxracing[/nom]Why does Corsair insist on putting those ridiculous heatsinks on 1.5v RAM? totally unnecessary[/citation]
Because "enthusiasts" love their oversized, absurd, and counterproductive heatsinks. And only more-money-than-sense "enthusiasts" would buy these modules.

Way overpriced, and no one besides professional users have any use for anything over 8GB, let alone cramming 32GB into a desktop and 16GB into a laptop.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]DaFees[/nom]It's awesome that these are finally available but I have to ask what is the points? I mean through all my searching on Newegg.com I've found only a couple of motherboards with 6 memory slots that actually support 6x8GB sticks for a total of 48GB of memory. I mean I didn't look at server motherboards which I'd imagine could support these, but why offer a gaming grade memory stick if most motherboards can be pushed to their limits with just 4gb sticks?[/citation]
It would have to be a motherboard such as the EVGA SR-2 when they make the SR-3 for LGA 2011 it will be sooooo amazing.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Actually, about $112 would be fair. Considering it's selling for about $7 per GB on a 4GB Vengeance module, doubling that price @ $14 per GB seems fair? $34 per GB is downright thievery.[/citation]

Of course they are pricy...when you make them more dense, they always are. Just like dense server RAM is always more expensive than buying a 1GB module.

In a few years, I am sure 8GB modules will be less expensive and someone will ask the same thing about 16GB or 32GB modules.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hey I heard once that putting quad channel RAM (for example 2GB x 4) in dual channel slots (in this case 4 slots) makes the RAM run faster (almost like a RAID configuration) can anyone add some clarification to this?

DaFees

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]It would have to be a motherboard such as the EVGA SR-2 when they make the SR-3 for LGA 2011 it will be sooooo amazing.[/citation]

You know the EVGA SR-2 Motherboard only supports a max of 48GB of memory (4x12) and not a theoretical max of 96GB (8x12). Unless of course you were trying to say that the EVGA SR-2 can't maximize these new memory modules and it'll be sweet when the new SR-3 can. In that case I would agree.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
was: $299.99
$269.99
save: $30.00 ( newegg.com)

holy shit! thats more than the 12 ocz 1600 mhz I bought (3X2)

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
[citation][nom]DaFees[/nom]You know the EVGA SR-2 Motherboard only supports a max of 48GB of memory (4x12) and not a theoretical max of 96GB (8x12). Unless of course you were trying to say that the EVGA SR-2 can't maximize these new memory modules and it'll be sweet when the new SR-3 can. In that case I would agree.[/citation]
Thats exactly what i mean, when the SR-3 comes out hopefully it can use those to the max potential. Although the cost of one might be astronomical, upwards of over 20,000$ for the whole computer. But then again if your buying an SR-3 and not spending that much somethings wrong with you XD.

di general

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]1foxracing[/nom]Why does Corsair insist on putting those ridiculous heatsinks on 1.5v RAM? totally unnecessary[/citation]

Perhaps because you can overclock them? Don't want the heatsink get the low profile version. It's an enthusiast part.

dgingeri

Distinguished
All this complaint about the cost is kind of funny to me. I've been buying 8GB modules for my servers for months now at $350-400 each at DDR3-1066 speeds. $270 sounds pretty cheap to me for 8GB DDR3-1600 modules.

The biggest modules are always much more expensive. When EDO RAM was big, 4MB and 8MB modules were semi-cheap with 16MB modules running more than ten times the cost of the 8MB modules. It just costs that much more to produce the chips. They aren't commodity yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.