Help - Can't get 9800 Pro Stability

Just built a new system...

ECS K7VTA3 - Athlon 2700
512MB PC2700 Ram
450 Watt Supply
Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Windows XP Pro - SP1a
Latest Catalyst Drivers

Have tried to run 2dMark2001se with intermittent success. Most of the
time the computer reboots during the benchmark. Sometimes the screen
just goes black and it feezes. Sometimes the scrren goes black just
sitting on the desktop with no programs running. I can't get this card
to run stable. How do I troubleshoot this other than put a different
video card in?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"Sam I Am" <lon@turner.com> wrote in message
> Just built a new system...
>
> ECS K7VTA3 - Athlon 2700
> 512MB PC2700 Ram
> 450 Watt Supply
> Radeon 9800 Pro 128
> Windows XP Pro - SP1a
> Latest Catalyst Drivers
>
> Have tried to run 2dMark2001se with intermittent success. Most of the
> time the computer reboots during the benchmark. Sometimes the screen
> just goes black and it feezes. Sometimes the scrren goes black just
> sitting on the desktop with no programs running. I can't get this card
> to run stable. How do I troubleshoot this other than put a different
> video card in?

Run AGP at 4x not 8x and see if it helps - no performance differance but it
CAN affect stability.
Fast-writes OFF too and check your RAM timings aren't too high. Games and
benchmarks stress your whole system not just the graphics card.

bill

In article <A9zZc.1435$Sw5.15341771@news-text.cableinet.net>,
nospam@here.com says...

> "Sam I Am" <lon@turner.com> wrote in message
> > Just built a new system...
> >
> > ECS K7VTA3 - Athlon 2700
> > 512MB PC2700 Ram
> > 450 Watt Supply
> > Radeon 9800 Pro 128
> > Windows XP Pro - SP1a
> > Latest Catalyst Drivers
> >
> > Have tried to run 2dMark2001se with intermittent success. Most of the
> > time the computer reboots during the benchmark. Sometimes the screen
> > just goes black and it feezes. Sometimes the scrren goes black just
> > sitting on the desktop with no programs running. I can't get this card
> > to run stable. How do I troubleshoot this other than put a different
> > video card in?
> >

> Run AGP at 4x not 8x and see if it helps - no performance differance but it
> CAN affect stability.
> Fast-writes OFF too and check your RAM timings aren't too high. Games and
> benchmarks stress your whole system not just the graphics card.

I had a similar problem with an Asus A8V. Last week I installed and ran
Smartgart and the rebooting has not occurred even once since then.
Smartgart is installed from the OEM CD and not when you download the
updated Catalyst drivers.

Bill