Oh...my...GOD....please help!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 2, 2004 5:34:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.

That's the good part.

I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
Omega's drivers, with no luck.

I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks.
Devon

More about : god

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 1:38:56 PM

On 2 Sep 2004 01:34:06 -0700, hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com (Devon) wrote:

>I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
>computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
>That's the good part.
>
>I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
>before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
>I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
>Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
>I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
>has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.
>
>Thanks.
>Devon

What rating is the PSU?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 2:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

B U Y A N X B O X

Sorry, I quit PC gaming because of this...
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 4:46:41 PM

Devon wrote:

> I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
> computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
> That's the good part.
>
> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
> I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
> Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
> I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
> has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.
>
> Thanks.
> Devon

Do you have your video card or motherboard/cpu overclocked? If so, turn
the overclocking off. Although with that system I doubt you would have.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 5:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hi Devon;

If it's a brand new machine I would take it back. There is no reason given
the hardware that you purchased, that this should be happening. Let the
vendor sort it out.

JK

"Devon" <hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
> computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
> That's the good part.
>
> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
> I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
> Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
> I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
> has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.
>
> Thanks.
> Devon
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 5:11:59 PM

John Hall wrote:
> Hi Devon;
>
> If it's a brand new machine I would take it back. There is no reason
> given the hardware that you purchased, that this should be happening.
> Let the vendor sort it out.

I second the advice. That machine shouldn't be doing more than very
slightly burping. It's possible that it's bad RAM or something fairly
simple like that, but that shouldn't be your problem. Exchange the rig and
save yourself some headaches.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 5:21:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Hardware fault is likely, I would agree. Maybe try removing the extra RAM.

Bill

"John Hall" <johnhall11@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Hi Devon;
>
> If it's a brand new machine I would take it back. There is no reason
> given the hardware that you purchased, that this should be happening. Let
> the vendor sort it out.
>
> JK
>
> "Devon" <hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
>> computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>>
>> That's the good part.
>>
>> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
>> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
>> I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
>> Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>>
>> I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
>> has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Devon

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 5:56:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

If it is a memory problem, it should be found by memtest86 - google search
should turn it up, and it is easy to use, just let it crank for a while
and se if it notices any problems.
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/&gt; >>==+
email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley&gt; Free Software and Politics <<==+
September 2, 2004 6:32:13 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

It is simple. Go read my post on AMD 64 / ATI 9800

You have to disable fast writes and set AGP to 4x.

And you have to double check that on reboot,
those 2 settings are not re-enabled.

johns
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 2, 2004 10:46:35 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Devon" <hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
> computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
> That's the good part.
>
> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
> I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
> Omega's drivers, with no luck.

Smells like a memory issue to me. Try playing with just your original RAM in
place.

Or did you get a new mobo as well? It might not like the RAM you have.

I doubt something is broken, most likley just a compatibility thing.
September 2, 2004 11:25:59 PM

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

> "Devon" <hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
> > computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
> >
> > That's the good part.
> >
> > I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> > before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
> > I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
> > Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
> Smells like a memory issue to me. Try playing with just your original RAM
in
> place.
>
> Or did you get a new mobo as well? It might not like the RAM you have.
>
> I doubt something is broken, most likley just a compatibility thing.

Take it back pronto and demand a refund! Don't let them take it in to work
on, god knows what parts they'll replace and never tell you. HP are
certainly not known for fast gaming PC's, but I bet you paid way over he
odds for it - all the big name brands are over-priced.
Caveat: Did you buy the brand new PC and then fit the extra mem and x800
yourself? You could be on shaky ground then so far as demanding a full
refund goes :-(
Build your own PC so you can only blame yourself is something is amiss -
whats the worst that can happen? Assuming that the video card is OK (if not,
get a refund) the most expensive parts of a PC cost no more than £100
tops...
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 3, 2004 3:01:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"tanpien" <rleendertz@hotmail.com> wrote
>B U Y A N X B O X
> Sorry, I quit PC gaming because of this...

Yes, buy an X-box if you don't know what's happening
inside your PC/Windows. And get used to lower quality
graphics etc. because that wormbox is running out of
juice already.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 3, 2004 3:34:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Devon" wrote...

> I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
> computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
> That's the good part.
>
> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
> I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
> Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
> I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
> has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.

My guess is that it is an overheating problem.
Games like these will dramatically increase temperature on both CPU and GPU,
ie they will run for typically 5-15 minutes before freezing or dumping you
back to desktop.
Backgroud applications and shjite are unlike to cause these kinds of
crashes....

Here is what you do...

Take the system back and kick some butt..... but as this will prolly take
more than a couple of hours before you are up and running again, you could
also try....

Place the puter somewhere cool, and open the cover.
See if that makes the games run for more than the 5 mins

Get Prime95 and run the torture test for 10-20 minutes, that will make sure
your CPU isnt overheating, and has enough power.

Get a benchmark like 3DMark03 and run it again and again for 10-20 minutes.
That will make sure your GPU isnt overheating and has enough power.

I had a 2.2G CPU and a Pro9700 stuffed inside my desk..... the inside got
hot as hell due to bad ventilation, but the puter worked fine.
I then upped with a 2.8G CPU and an 6800GT, and the system crashed after 10
minutes of Doom3...
Took the puter out of the desk, opened the cover..... clocked the CPU to
3.4G and the 6800GT to 420 MHz, and it has been running stable ever since :)

Mr B
September 3, 2004 4:49:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I had the exact same symptoms with a 9700 pro and the final resolution was
simply to scale back the AGP setting in the BIOS from 8x to 4x then it has
been fine. If it were a heat issue you would likely see artifacting before
the lockup.

It may be a PSU problem but my experience has been that a weak PSU results
in not being able to boot up since thats when the biggest power draw is,
right when it has to fire up the hard drives and whatnot. Though if your
AGP is set to 4X I would maybe suspect the PSU next especially if it is
350W or less with that sort of system.

Maybe try pulling the extra ram and see if that helps, it could be that when
your computer boots up it is utilizing good ram and doesn't crash but as
soon as you load enough programs that it needs to use some bad area of ram
then it all goes haywire.

"Devon" <hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
> computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
> That's the good part.
>
> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
> I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
> Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
> I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
> has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.
>
> Thanks.
> Devon
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 3, 2004 1:44:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:11:58 GMT, "John Hall" <johnhall11@rogers.com>
wrote:

>Hi Devon;
>
>If it's a brand new machine I would take it back. There is no reason given
>the hardware that you purchased, that this should be happening. Let the
>vendor sort it out.

True, but who is he going to blame? If he has bought components from
different places, like the Radeon x800 and extra 512MB he mentioned,
some vendors will unfortunately just blame each others. The place who
sold him the HP machine: "It is probably your video card, take it to
them.", etc.

It never hurts to try though. But I have learned that for situations
like this it is good to buy your main components from one place.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 3, 2004 1:48:53 PM

On 2 Sep 2004 10:44:24 -0700, rleendertz@hotmail.com (tanpien) wrote:

>B U Y A N X B O X
>
>Sorry, I quit PC gaming because of this...

Shouldn't he be waiting for XBox 2 instead, hmmm? ;^P

"DON'T BUY AN XBOX, IT WILL BE REPLACED BY XBOX 2 SOON!"
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 3, 2004 2:05:32 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 22:14:55 -0500, "Mickey Johnson"
<mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote:

>I bought an xbox a month ago and its the best gaming decision I ever made.
>Having a common platform with a uniform online community is great. Its
>like pc gaming without all the headaches.

and minus the PC games which is why people play on PC.

Call me back when XBox has e.g. Rome: Total War.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 3, 2004 2:08:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:25:59 GMT, "GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Take it back pronto and demand a refund! Don't let them take it in to work
>on, god knows what parts they'll replace and never tell you. HP are

Take back what? The whole machine to HP, or the ATI x800 to the place
where he bought it? What if the HP dealer says the issue must be with
the video card so it is not their problem?

I've seen this happening with systems where different components are
from different dealers...

>Caveat: Did you buy the brand new PC and then fit the extra mem and x800
>yourself? You could be on shaky ground then so far as demanding a full
>refund goes :-(

Yep, exactly. I have found a PC shop which I like, and I do 99% of my
PC component purchases from them, except for e.g. DVD-R blanks etc.
That way I know exactly who to blame if something doesn't work. ;)
September 3, 2004 7:32:38 PM

In article <bc914d98.0409020034.55eed5e5@posting.google.com>, hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com (Devon) wrote:
>I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
>computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
>That's the good part.
>
>I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
>before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
>I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
>Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
>I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
>has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.
>
>Thanks.
>Devon
You have a heat problem . either add some case fans, most likely the system is
lacking in them being a HP oem
September 4, 2004 6:34:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Devon" <hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought Doom 3 and Far Cry this afternoon, and an HP AMD 3400+
> computer, an extra 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon x800 Pro to go with it.
>
> That's the good part.
>
> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.
> I've tried ATI's latest drivers, their beta Doom 3 drivers, AND
> Omega's drivers, with no luck.
>
> I'm starting to think that I wasted a lot of money today - if anyone
> has any suggestions for me, I'd be forever grateful.
>
> Thanks.
> Devon

1. it could be a heat problem. take the side panel off and have a room
fan blow air over your system.
2. make sure you have the latest version of DX?
3. what version of Windoze do you have?
4. does your computer lockup/crash if you surf the web for 2 hrs? or is
it just when you're doing 3D gaming?
5. did you install the video card or was it already installed? have you
got another video card laying around that you can swap out.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 4, 2004 7:29:45 AM

hedgehog8675309@yahoo.com (Devon) said:

> I can't get either one of these puppies to go longer than 5 minutes
> before dumping me back to the desktop, or locking up the PC entirely.

If you built it yourself, double check the heat sink and then run
memtest86.
--
Mac Cool
Anonymous

Briarroot wrote:

> This is one of those factors that prompt people to build
> their own systems. When the user starts with a clean system
> and installs his own operating system and software, he knows
> exactly what's running and how it's configured.

The majority of PC users don't/won't/can't deal with this level.
Personally I agree with the vendors - ship them with all bells &
whistles turned on and let the savvy users turn them off as required.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2004 12:18:04 AM

Briarroot wrote:

> Yeah, they definitely skimp on PSUs. Reading his post,
> I assumed that the OP bought all his components from HP
> and that their techs would have taken this factor into
> consideration, but perhaps that's a false assumption! <g>

It depends on how good their techs are. They probably have limited training
on how to put a given set of components together, but have little to no real
technical knowledge. Real techs would probably cost too much. I don't
actually know what I'm talking about but it sound right to me.

--
Morgan.
----

Mail: Morgan.Sales@ntlworld.com
Webpage: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/msales
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 5, 2004 12:51:48 PM

Morgan Sales wrote:

> Briarroot wrote:
>

>>Yeah, they definitely skimp on PSUs. Reading his post,
>>I assumed that the OP bought all his components from HP
>>and that their techs would have taken this factor into
>>consideration, but perhaps that's a false assumption! <g>
>

> It depends on how good their techs are. They probably have limited training
> on how to put a given set of components together, but have little to no real
> technical knowledge. Real techs would probably cost too much. I don't
> actually know what I'm talking about but it sound right to me.

The assembly "techs" don't design the systems. They assemble what they
are told to assemble.

Briarroots comments are somewhat "general" considering we are talking
about HP HW Engineers - comments like "definitely skimp on PSUs" and "I
assumed ..... would have taken this factor into a account" are somewhat
generalised and a tad self satisfied and smug IMO.
September 5, 2004 5:02:08 PM

N wrote:
> On 2 Sep 2004 10:44:24 -0700, rleendertz@hotmail.com (tanpien) wrote:
>

>>B U Y A N X B O X
>>
>>Sorry, I quit PC gaming because of this...
>

> Shouldn't he be waiting for XBox 2 instead, hmmm? ;^P
>
> "DON'T BUY AN XBOX, IT WILL BE REPLACED BY XBOX 2 SOON!"

Yes but then there is Playstation 3 as well.

(heh, soon the console turnaround will ne faster than the need to
upgrade your PC, which isn't that bad really, you dont HAVE to have the
next gen card. You can play Doom 3 and HL2 on a 9800. Sure not at MAX
settings, but then again with a console your stuck at medium settings
through it's whole cycle.)
!