xp firewall

The windows xp firewall isn't active. When I go to the security setting to
turn it on, I click on the icon and get the following:

Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service
is not running. Do you want to start the window's firewall/internet
connection service?

I click yes then get:

Windows cannot start the windows/Internet Connection Service.

Anyone know what is going on and/or how to fix this.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about firewall

    Ladybug wrote:

    > The windows xp firewall isn't active. When I go to the security setting to
    > turn it on, I click on the icon and get the following:
    >
    > Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service
    > is not running. Do you want to start the window's firewall/internet
    > connection service?
    >
    > I click yes then get:
    >
    > Windows cannot start the windows/Internet Connection Service.
    >
    > Anyone know what is going on and/or how to fix this.
    Hi

    If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:

    Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:

    Start/Run --> cmd.exe

    and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

    netsh.exe winsock reset

    and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

    After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.

    More about this issue here as well:

    After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-
    related problems, or you receive an error message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Hello Ladybug,
    I was just wondering if you have SP2? Without SP2there is no
    Windows Firewall. Is the Windows Security Shield in your control panel?
    It is multi shades of blue green and yellow I think. You can't miss it.
    Are you running a different firewall? If so turn it off, then try
    Windows firewall.
    It may be that you need to install SP2 or maybe reinstall it if you already
    have it.
    Let me know how it is going. Best of luck to you.
    Ron J

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

    > Ladybug wrote:
    >
    > > The windows xp firewall isn't active. When I go to the security setting to
    > > turn it on, I click on the icon and get the following:
    > >
    > > Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service
    > > is not running. Do you want to start the window's firewall/internet
    > > connection service?
    > >
    > > I click yes then get:
    > >
    > > Windows cannot start the windows/Internet Connection Service.
    > >
    > > Anyone know what is going on and/or how to fix this.
    > Hi
    >
    > If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:
    >
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    >

    > Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:
    >
    > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
    >
    > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
    >
    > netsh.exe winsock reset
    >
    > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
    >

    > After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    > are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    > firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.
    >

    > More about this issue here as well:
    >
    > After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-
    > related problems, or you receive an error message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Hi Ron J.

    Resetting winstock fixed the problem.

    Thanks for the help.

    L.

    "Ron J" wrote:

    > Hello Ladybug,
    > I was just wondering if you have SP2? Without SP2there is no
    > Windows Firewall. Is the Windows Security Shield in your control panel?
    > It is multi shades of blue green and yellow I think. You can't miss it.
    > Are you running a different firewall? If so turn it off, then try
    > Windows firewall.
    > It may be that you need to install SP2 or maybe reinstall it if you already
    > have it.
    > Let me know how it is going. Best of luck to you.
    > Ron J
    >
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Ladybug wrote:
    > >
    > > > The windows xp firewall isn't active. When I go to the security setting to
    > > > turn it on, I click on the icon and get the following:
    > > >
    > > > Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service
    > > > is not running. Do you want to start the window's firewall/internet
    > > > connection service?
    > > >
    > > > I click yes then get:
    > > >
    > > > Windows cannot start the windows/Internet Connection Service.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone know what is going on and/or how to fix this.
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:
    > >
    > > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    > >

    > > Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:
    > >
    > > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
    > >
    > > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
    > >
    > > netsh.exe winsock reset
    > >
    > > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
    > >

    > > After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    > > are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    > > firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.
    > >

    > > More about this issue here as well:
    > >
    > > After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-
    > > related problems, or you receive an error message
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350
    > >

    > > --
    > > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

    WTG Ladybug glad to hear it. thanks for getting back.

    "Ron J" wrote:

    > Hello Ladybug,
    > I was just wondering if you have SP2? Without SP2there is no
    > Windows Firewall. Is the Windows Security Shield in your control panel?
    > It is multi shades of blue green and yellow I think. You can't miss it.
    > Are you running a different firewall? If so turn it off, then try
    > Windows firewall.
    > It may be that you need to install SP2 or maybe reinstall it if you already
    > have it.
    > Let me know how it is going. Best of luck to you.
    > Ron J
    >
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Ladybug wrote:
    > >
    > > > The windows xp firewall isn't active. When I go to the security setting to
    > > > turn it on, I click on the icon and get the following:
    > > >
    > > > Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service
    > > > is not running. Do you want to start the window's firewall/internet
    > > > connection service?
    > > >
    > > > I click yes then get:
    > > >
    > > > Windows cannot start the windows/Internet Connection Service.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone know what is going on and/or how to fix this.
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:
    > >
    > > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    > >

    > > Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:
    > >
    > > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
    > >
    > > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
    > >
    > > netsh.exe winsock reset
    > >
    > > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
    > >

    > > After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    > > are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    > > firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.
    > >

    > > More about this issue here as well:
    > >
    > > After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-
    > > related problems, or you receive an error message
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350
    > >

    > > --
    > > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

    FYI - With XP SP1 there is a Windows firewall, works just the same, the only
    difference with SP2 MS made it on by default (unless another firewall was
    detected) and its own separate icon was added in Control Panel (to make it
    more visible), but it existed, an could be accessed by double clicking on
    "My Network" on the desktop, right clicking on the "connection", selecting
    properties then to "advanced tab" - click the check box would enable the ICF
    or Internet Connection Firewall.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "Ron J" <RonJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello Ladybug,
    > I was just wondering if you have SP2? Without SP2there is no
    > Windows Firewall. Is the Windows Security Shield in your control panel?
    > It is multi shades of blue green and yellow I think. You can't miss it.
    > Are you running a different firewall? If so turn it off, then try
    > Windows firewall.
    > It may be that you need to install SP2 or maybe reinstall it if you
    already
    > have it.
    > Let me know how it is going. Best of luck to you.
    > Ron J
    >
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:
    >
    > > Ladybug wrote:
    > >
    > > > The windows xp firewall isn't active. When I go to the security
    setting to
    > > > turn it on, I click on the icon and get the following:
    > > >
    > > > Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated
    service
    > > > is not running. Do you want to start the window's firewall/internet
    > > > connection service?
    > > >
    > > > I click yes then get:
    > > >
    > > > Windows cannot start the windows/Internet Connection Service.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone know what is going on and/or how to fix this.
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > If you don't have WinXP SP2 installed, try this one:
    > >
    > > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    > >

    > > Please try this if you have SP2 for WinXP installed:
    > >
    > > Start/Run --> cmd.exe
    > >
    > > and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
    > >
    > > netsh.exe winsock reset
    > >
    > > and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
    > >

    > > After resetting winsock you should re-install any applications which
    > > are layered service providers (lsp). typical apps of this nature are
    > > firewalls and anti-virus/anti-spyware.
    > >

    > > More about this issue here as well:
    > >
    > > After you run Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta), you have network-
    > > related problems, or you receive an error message
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350
    > >

    > > --
    > > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

    Hello Ad,
    Thank's for bringing my mistake to my att. I was told this at a Tech
    Net metting in San Jose. I found what he meant was, there was no Security
    Center prior to SP2 and that if the Sec. Cent. was not in Control Panel then
    SP2 was not installed. I no longer post things I am told without back up in
    print, no matter the source. We all make mistakes. I don't hold anything
    aginst him but this has taught me a lesson. Have a pleasant day.
    Ron J

Windows XP