Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NTFS Permissions allow deletion of file under any account ..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:43:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello,

i was wondering if the following behavior is an NTFS/Winxp bug or just
misunderstood behavior from my part.
Behavior is as follows,

create a file, remove inherited permissions in advanced pane
add full acces to current user/owner of the file
add full deny to a test user (limited access user)

login under test user (or fast user switch)
moving of the file and all operations is not possible, however when going to
command console and doing a manual del or shift+delling the file results in
removal of the file. Which in my view would be against the predicted
behavior? If i could get an affirmation of this behavior or an explanation i
would be very grateful.

Regards,

Chris
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:43:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

What do you mean - command console? The command prompt or recovery console?
Where are you doing a "shift+del"? The "full deny" was it done to just the
file or the whole directory? When you unchecked the inherited permissions,
was it on the file or the directory? If you did just the directory, did you
also check the "replace permission entries on all child objects with
entries.."? Are you sure you hit OK during each step?

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"
www.google.com

***********************************************

"WakA" <waka@_remove_home.nl> wrote in message
news:D 0l2ou$hrr$1@ares.cs.utwente.nl...
> Hello,
>
> i was wondering if the following behavior is an NTFS/Winxp bug or just
> misunderstood behavior from my part.
> Behavior is as follows,
>
> create a file, remove inherited permissions in advanced pane
> add full acces to current user/owner of the file
> add full deny to a test user (limited access user)
>
> login under test user (or fast user switch)
> moving of the file and all operations is not possible, however when going
to
> command console and doing a manual del or shift+delling the file results
in
> removal of the file. Which in my view would be against the predicted
> behavior? If i could get an affirmation of this behavior or an explanation
i
> would be very grateful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
>
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:12:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I meant command prompt, sorry for the mixup.
I'm doing shift+del (or actually just del, since i changed a regkey to make
del do the same as shift+del, but this shouldn't make a difference..should
it? o_O) (i'll check after this post)
Full deny and full access was done on just the file, i've just repeated my
steps and made sure i pressed apply every step of the way.
Moving/copying/reading the file still doesn't work under test-account,
delete still does.



"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:o V7cMsDJFHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> What do you mean - command console? The command prompt or recovery
> console?
> Where are you doing a "shift+del"? The "full deny" was it done to just
> the
> file or the whole directory? When you unchecked the inherited
> permissions,
> was it on the file or the directory? If you did just the directory, did
> you
> also check the "replace permission entries on all child objects with
> entries.."? Are you sure you hit OK during each step?
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
> "Google is your Friend!"
> www.google.com
>
> ***********************************************
Related resources
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:40:26 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

The Weirdness (tm) continues.
after disable NukeOnDelete at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket
when asked if you want to move the file to the recycle bin and pressing yes,
explorer simply (i suspect) tries to move the file (fails, without warning)
and deletes the original so in effect still deleting the file entirely. I
think my system must be b0rked (also tm).

(10 minutes later..)
ok i checked on a relatively fresh install on another system..same deal, it
just deletes the file so it must be either a normal thing, or a grossly
overlooked bug? When i _deny_ any access to a particular user, it shouldn't
be able to delete it! what's going on..

"WakA" <waka@_remove_home.nl> wrote in message
news:D 0lf1n$seb$1@ares.cs.utwente.nl...
>I meant command prompt, sorry for the mixup.
> I'm doing shift+del (or actually just del, since i changed a regkey to
> make del do the same as shift+del, but this shouldn't make a
> difference..should it? o_O) (i'll check after this post)
> Full deny and full access was done on just the file, i've just repeated my
> steps and made sure i pressed apply every step of the way.
> Moving/copying/reading the file still doesn't work under test-account,
> delete still does.
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 4:41:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

> ok i checked on a relatively fresh install on another system..same deal,
> it
another system == windows 2000

excuse my fast posting..
!