Radeon 9600XT- What is your Idle Temp?

RE: Radeon 9600XT:

What is your Video Card's Idle Temp?

What is your Case temp?

Who is the manufacturer of your ATI card?

Are you using the stock cooler?

If you unplugged the fan or have a Sapphire brand fanless card, what is idle
temp?

------------------------------------

My card's idle temp is 36 deg

Case is at 29 deg

I have a Hightech

Stock cooler

I think the card's fan is good compared to what I read about ATI's, but my
PC case has, otherwise, large slow fans, and I think this fan is causing
harmonic distortion.

I am not going to change the cooler, so I was thinking about unplugging the
fan, and seeing if I hear a difference, and if the temp is okay. I read a
review that the 9800Pro idles at ~45 deg. w/ stock cooler or 43 deg w/
Arctic Cooling *High* setting. I don't know about the 9600xt. I do know that
*sometimes* fans are put on a card, to give the appearance of a powerful
card when they aren't needed.

Thanks,

QZ

I just sold a Sapphire 9600, with a passive heat sink, on eBay. It was not
an "XT" however. Look here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5117899132

I'm currently running an "ATI" brand, 9600XT, with the stock heat sink, and
cooling fan. I've been playing with the OMEGA drivers, and I'm currently
running with a core speed of 500MHz, and memory speed of 300MHz. Anything
higher than that, and I start getting artifacts. I don't think you could /
should run it without a fan. However, if you fit a larger heat sink on it,
and had good case cooling, you might get away with it.

Bill Crocker

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10jfr3vk89por78@corp.supernews.com...
> RE: Radeon 9600XT:
>
> What is your Video Card's Idle Temp?
>
> What is your Case temp?
>
> Who is the manufacturer of your ATI card?
>
> Are you using the stock cooler?
>
> If you unplugged the fan or have a Sapphire brand fanless card, what is
> idle
> temp?
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> My card's idle temp is 36 deg
>
> Case is at 29 deg
>
> I have a Hightech
>
> Stock cooler

> I think the card's fan is good compared to what I read about ATI's, but my
> PC case has, otherwise, large slow fans, and I think this fan is causing
> harmonic distortion.
>
> I am not going to change the cooler, so I was thinking about unplugging
> the
> fan, and seeing if I hear a difference, and if the temp is okay. I read a
> review that the 9800Pro idles at ~45 deg. w/ stock cooler or 43 deg w/
> Arctic Cooling *High* setting. I don't know about the 9600xt. I do know
> that
> *sometimes* fans are put on a card, to give the appearance of a powerful
> card when they aren't needed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> QZ

Firthy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003

Tell me how to check the card temp and I will.. Cant find anything in the
properties about the temp
9600XT GeCube 128mb encore

"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10jfr3vk89por78@corp.supernews.com...
> RE: Radeon 9600XT:
>
> What is your Video Card's Idle Temp?
>
> What is your Case temp?
>
> Who is the manufacturer of your ATI card?
>
> Are you using the stock cooler?
>
> If you unplugged the fan or have a Sapphire brand fanless card, what is
idle
> temp?
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> My card's idle temp is 36 deg
>
> Case is at 29 deg
>
> I have a Hightech
>
> Stock cooler

> I think the card's fan is good compared to what I read about ATI's, but my
> PC case has, otherwise, large slow fans, and I think this fan is causing
> harmonic distortion.
>
> I am not going to change the cooler, so I was thinking about unplugging
the
> fan, and seeing if I hear a difference, and if the temp is okay. I read a
> review that the 9800Pro idles at ~45 deg. w/ stock cooler or 43 deg w/
> Arctic Cooling *High* setting. I don't know about the 9600xt. I do know
that
> *sometimes* fans are put on a card, to give the appearance of a powerful
> card when they aren't needed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> QZ

sunbow

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

"Firthy" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> Tell me how to check the card temp and I will.. Cant find anything in the
> properties about the temp
> 9600XT GeCube 128mb encore

go to display properties/settings/advanced/overdrive and there it is.

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:51:46 +0100, sunbow wrote:

> "Firthy" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>> Tell me how to check the card temp and I will.. Cant find anything in the
>> properties about the temp
>> 9600XT GeCube 128mb encore
>>
> go to display properties/settings/advanced/overdrive and there it is.

Hi, do I need that catalyst control center thingie to see the 'overdrive'
tab? I have a asus 9600xt with the ati 4.8 drivers and I don't see it.

Overclocked 543/339 31C idle 39C Full load 9600XT Stock cooling

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:13:36 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
<wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:

>I just sold a Sapphire 9600, with a passive heat sink, on eBay. It was not
>an "XT" however. Look here:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5117899132
>
>I'm currently running an "ATI" brand, 9600XT, with the stock heat sink, and
>cooling fan. I've been playing with the OMEGA drivers, and I'm currently
>running with a core speed of 500MHz, and memory speed of 300MHz. Anything
>higher than that, and I start getting artifacts. I don't think you could /
>should run it without a fan. However, if you fit a larger heat sink on it,
>and had good case cooling, you might get away with it.
>
>Bill Crocker
>

>"QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10jfr3vk89por78@corp.supernews.com...
>> RE: Radeon 9600XT:
>>
>> What is your Video Card's Idle Temp?
>>
>> What is your Case temp?
>>
>> Who is the manufacturer of your ATI card?
>>
>> Are you using the stock cooler?
>>
>> If you unplugged the fan or have a Sapphire brand fanless card, what is
>> idle
>> temp?
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> My card's idle temp is 36 deg
>>
>> Case is at 29 deg
>>
>> I have a Hightech
>>
>> Stock cooler

>> I think the card's fan is good compared to what I read about ATI's, but my
>> PC case has, otherwise, large slow fans, and I think this fan is causing
>> harmonic distortion.
>>
>> I am not going to change the cooler, so I was thinking about unplugging
>> the
>> fan, and seeing if I hear a difference, and if the temp is okay. I read a
>> review that the 9800Pro idles at ~45 deg. w/ stock cooler or 43 deg w/
>> Arctic Cooling *High* setting. I don't know about the 9600xt. I do know
>> that
>> *sometimes* fans are put on a card, to give the appearance of a powerful
>> card when they aren't needed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> QZ

Reply to bradwinegardner at bellsouth dot net

"mardi" <e@mail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:51:46 +0100, sunbow wrote:
>
> > "Firthy" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
> >> Tell me how to check the card temp and I will.. Cant find anything in
the
> >> properties about the temp
> >> 9600XT GeCube 128mb encore
> >>
> > go to display properties/settings/advanced/overdrive and there it is.
>
> Hi, do I need that catalyst control center thingie to see the 'overdrive'
> tab? I have a asus 9600xt with the ati 4.8 drivers and I don't see it.

I'm not certain, but I think that Overdrive thing is for the 9800XT (and
newer) cards only... not the 9600XT...

codyw

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Works on my 9600XT, at 36C.

> > > go to display properties/settings/advanced/overdrive and there it is.
> >
> > Hi, do I need that catalyst control center thingie to see the
'overdrive'
> > tab? I have a asus 9600xt with the ati 4.8 drivers and I don't see it.
>
> I'm not certain, but I think that Overdrive thing is for the 9800XT (and
> newer) cards only... not the 9600XT...

Oh. I didn't realize the 9600XT had that built-in temp monitoring thingy...

"codyw" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Works on my 9600XT, at 36C.

> > > Hi, do I need that catalyst control center thingie to see the
> 'overdrive'
> > > tab? I have a asus 9600xt with the ati 4.8 drivers and I don't see it.
> >
> > I'm not certain, but I think that Overdrive thing is for the 9800XT (and
> > newer) cards only... not the 9600XT...

I have sapphire 9600xt and my idle temp is 37 deg c.
Athlon xp 2500 barton
768mb ddr 333 (pc2700)
Never gets any hotter than 42deg c even after a few hours on FS9.
Gary.
"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I just sold a Sapphire 9600, with a passive heat sink, on eBay. It was not
>an "XT" however. Look here:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=40158&item=5117899132
>
> I'm currently running an "ATI" brand, 9600XT, with the stock heat sink,
> and cooling fan. I've been playing with the OMEGA drivers, and I'm
> currently running with a core speed of 500MHz, and memory speed of 300MHz.
> Anything higher than that, and I start getting artifacts. I don't think
> you could / should run it without a fan. However, if you fit a larger
> heat sink on it, and had good case cooling, you might get away with it.
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "QZ" <nothing> wrote in message news:10jfr3vk89por78@corp.supernews.com...
>> RE: Radeon 9600XT:
>>
>> What is your Video Card's Idle Temp?
>>
>> What is your Case temp?
>>
>> Who is the manufacturer of your ATI card?
>>
>> Are you using the stock cooler?
>>
>> If you unplugged the fan or have a Sapphire brand fanless card, what is
>> idle
>> temp?
>>
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> My card's idle temp is 36 deg
>>
>> Case is at 29 deg
>>
>> I have a Hightech
>>
>> Stock cooler

>> I think the card's fan is good compared to what I read about ATI's, but
>> my
>> PC case has, otherwise, large slow fans, and I think this fan is causing
>> harmonic distortion.
>>
>> I am not going to change the cooler, so I was thinking about unplugging
>> the
>> fan, and seeing if I hear a difference, and if the temp is okay. I read a
>> review that the 9800Pro idles at ~45 deg. w/ stock cooler or 43 deg w/
>> Arctic Cooling *High* setting. I don't know about the 9600xt. I do know
>> that
>> *sometimes* fans are put on a card, to give the appearance of a powerful
>> card when they aren't needed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> QZ

sunbow

Distinguished
May 14, 2004

"mardi" <e@mail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 16:51:46 +0100, sunbow wrote:
>
>> "Firthy" <nothere@home.com> wrote in message
>>> Tell me how to check the card temp and I will.. Cant find anything in
>>> the
>>> properties about the temp
>>> 9600XT GeCube 128mb encore
>>>
>> go to display properties/settings/advanced/overdrive and there it is.
>
> Hi, do I need that catalyst control center thingie to see the 'overdrive'
> tab? I have a asus 9600xt with the ati 4.8 drivers and I don't see it.

It should be there, i`m using catalyst 4.8 too. should be next to the VPU
recover tab on the line with smartgart and 3d options. thats all i can say
really. :)

9600XT 525core 304mem 29c

My card is a ATI version stock cooling. It seems that the sapphire cards
seem to overclock better that the ATI cards. I think they use better memory
chips. I cant clock my card any higher than what I have posted.

"Jeff McNulty" <bilyzoom@gte.net> wrote in message
> 9600XT 525core 304mem 29c
>
> My card is a ATI version stock cooling. It seems that the sapphire cards
> seem to overclock better that the ATI cards. I think they use better
memory
> chips. I cant clock my card any higher than what I have posted.

I also have a CM Praetorian Case which is aluminum, it acts as a heatsink.
I wonder why it is running warmer (36 deg) compared to others. I think
Hightech put on a slower fan. IRCC, the Catalyst Panel would bring a an
alarm if the fan failed, is that correct? It is difficult to see the fan,
but it appears to be running, since I don't see the fins.
It was reviewed as being relatively quiet. Probably the ATI version is
louder.
I am not even sure the video card is making the most noise, I just was
expecting a whisper quiet pc, considering the components I chose.