X800's really "all that"?

Are the new X800's really all their cracked up to be? If I moved from a
9600XT, would I be overly impressed for my money?

Thanks,
Bill Crocker

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Are the new X800's really all their cracked up to be? If I moved from a
> 9600XT, would I be overly impressed for my money?

I think so. I went from a GeForce MX440 to a 9600XT to an X800. The most
noticeable improvement in quality was from the 9600XT to the X800.

my guess would be they are a year away from making stable drivers and
correcting issues......so no.

jay cee

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

Only if you are willing to mod the x800p vivo to 16pipes (which is easy). A
unmodded 12pipe card wouldn't be worth buying. The x800 series is still way
overpriced however. These cards at $350 would fly off the shelves, but at
$450 they are silly.

rms

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Are the new X800's really all their cracked up to be? If I moved from a
> 9600XT, would I be overly impressed for my money?

You would have a boner for a week

;¬D

Get one, just make sure its an XTPE

Sean

EC

"pRot3us" <prot3usremove@proteusremovethispart.freeserve.co.removeuk> wrote
in message news:41388830$0$52238$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net...
> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Are the new X800's really all their cracked up to be? If I moved from a
>> 9600XT, would I be overly impressed for my money?
>
> You would have a boner for a week
>

> ;¬D
>
> Get one, just make sure its an XTPE
>
> Sean

XTPE == VAPORWARE.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

"ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:XW%Zc.197714$sh.51749@fed1read06...

> "pRot3us" <prot3usremove@proteusremovethispart.freeserve.co.removeuk>
> wrote in message news:41388830$0$52238$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net...
>> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> Are the new X800's really all their cracked up to be? If I moved from a
>>> 9600XT, would I be overly impressed for my money?
>>
>> You would have a boner for a week
>>

>> ;¬D
>>
>> Get one, just make sure its an XTPE
>>
>> Sean
>>

> XTPE == VAPORWARE.

Explain how my mate owns one, if they are "vapourware"?

EC

"Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message news:2prggmFop7ghU1@uni-berlin.de...

> "ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "pRot3us" <prot3usremove@proteusremovethispart.freeserve.co.removeuk>
>> wrote in message news:41388830$0$52238$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net...
>>> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You would have a boner for a week
>>>

>>> ;¬D
>>>
>>> Get one, just make sure its an XTPE
>>>
>>> Sean
>>>

>> XTPE == VAPORWARE.
>>

> Explain how my mate owns one, if they are "vapourware"?

The 100 cards ATI made don't make it "available". The card was "launched" in
May, and STILL is not stocked ANYWHERE at retail. That == vaporware.

Andrew

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:25:36 -0700, "ec" <temp@no.com> wrote:

>Or any game based on the engine ( tons coming ). Or any OpenGL game. Or any
>PS 3.0 game. Moron. The 6800 won ths round, hands down. Plus, you can
>actualyl BUY ONE!

Just make sure you ignore and HL2 benchmarks, an engine that is
genuinely attractive to developers.

"ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:XW%Zc.197714$sh.51749@fed1read06...

> "pRot3us" <prot3usremove@proteusremovethispart.freeserve.co.removeuk>
wrote
> in message news:41388830$0$52238$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net...
> > "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Are the new X800's really all their cracked up to be? If I moved from
> >> 9600XT, would I be overly impressed for my money?
> >
> > You would have a boner for a week
> >

> > ;¬D
> >
> > Get one, just make sure its an XTPE
> >
> > Sean
> >

> XTPE == VAPORWARE.

I must be imagining the one I have in my machine then hey?

;¬P

Sean

ec wrote:

> Or any game based on the engine ( tons coming ). Or any OpenGL game.
> Or any PS 3.0 game. Moron. The 6800 won ths round, hands down. Plus,
> you can actualyl BUY ONE!

Gee. So all those benchmarks on the net are wrong, at least if I'd believe
you.

The X800 is a very good card, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's
very fast and has excellent image quality. Pixel Shader 3.0, that's just
nVidia nonsense. Pixel Shader 2.0b can do almost exactly the same! No real
need for PS3.0.... further more, ATi's OpenGL performance really isn't as
bad as you'd make us believe. Doom3 runs really well on my X800 Pro...
besides, ATi is in the process of completely rewriting their OpenGL drivers
so a performance boost is just around the corner.

Besides, nVidia optimised for Doom3. That's nice, but don't forget there
will be many, many games based on the Half-Life 2 engine, an engine which is
optimised for ATi-cards.

=- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

EC

"Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote
in message news:rC2_c.77$l05.16@text.usenetserver.com...
> ec wrote:
>
>> Or any game based on the engine ( tons coming ). Or any OpenGL game.
>> Or any PS 3.0 game. Moron. The 6800 won ths round, hands down. Plus,
>> you can actualyl BUY ONE!
>
> Gee. So all those benchmarks on the net are wrong, at least if I'd
> believe
> you.
>
> The X800 is a very good card, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
> It's
> very fast and has excellent image quality. Pixel Shader 3.0, that's just
> nVidia nonsense. Pixel Shader 2.0b can do almost exactly the same! No real
> need for PS3.0.... further more, ATi's OpenGL performance really isn't as
> bad as you'd make us believe. Doom3 runs really well on my X800 Pro...
> besides, ATi is in the process of completely rewriting their OpenGL
> drivers
> so a performance boost is just around the corner.
>
> Besides, nVidia optimised for Doom3. That's nice, but don't forget there
> will be many, many games based on the Half-Life 2 engine, an engine which
> is
> optimised for ATi-cards.
>
> =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands

Uh, NVIDIA nonsense? PS 3.0 is MICROSOFT's specification retard.

ATI hasn't been able to produce a decent OGL driver in 5 years. There are no
magical performance boosts "around the corner".

ec wrote:

> Uh, NVIDIA nonsense? PS 3.0 is MICROSOFT's specification retard.

First of all, throwing around insults like "moron" and "retard" doesn't help
you at all. It only shows us all that you're a nVidia fanboy intent on
spitting on all things even remotely ATi-related... a fanboy who doesn't
know that a conversation is also possible without insults. What are you
doing in an ATi newsgroup anyway?

Second... yes, I know it's not an nVidia invention. But nVidia is almost
screaming from the roofs that it's amazing, etc etc -- while in reality PS
2.0b can do the same things.

> ATI hasn't been able to produce a decent OGL driver in 5 years. There
> are no magical performance boosts "around the corner".

You'd better read up on ATi's new OpenGL driver. It *is* going to offer a
performance boost. Further more, the current OpenGL driver isn't bad at all.
If it were, why can many people run Doom3 at high resolution with max FSAA
and AA while still maintaining high framerates?

=- Brian Dickens

(who is perfectly happy with his X800 Pro)

"Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote
> Besides, nVidia optimised for Doom3. That's nice, but don't forget there
> will be many, many games based on the Half-Life 2 engine, an engine which
> is optimised for ATi-cards.

As I see it, it's quite difficult to make games based on
engine of such a game that isn't even released yet :)

Let's wait for Valve's next announcement of "source
leak" and again postponed release date, shall we...
If HL isn't complete yet, why can't they just say so.

mm

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Are the new X800's really all their cracked up to be? If I moved from a
> 9600XT, would I be overly impressed for my money?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Crocker

yes - you would be able to tell the difference - I changed my 9800 pro 128
to an X800 pro 256 - I can run D3 at 1280 etc with everything switched on no
probs - even at 800 x 600 before it got a little choppy in places.

If you can pick one up 2nd hand from someone who follows the crowd and is
'upgrading' to a 6800 instead then you'll do fine - paid 1/2 price for mine
recently ;)

dosent matter what gen of graphics card you are on about - some benchmark
better in particular games - why buy a card that does D3 real well if you'll
never play it again after cos its not that good ;)

"ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:TK2_c.198483$sh.90495@fed1read06...

> "Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl> wrote
> in message news:rC2_c.77$l05.16@text.usenetserver.com...
> > ec wrote:
> >
> >> Or any game based on the engine ( tons coming ). Or any OpenGL game.
> >> Or any PS 3.0 game. Moron. The 6800 won ths round, hands down. Plus,
> >> you can actualyl BUY ONE!
> >
> > Gee. So all those benchmarks on the net are wrong, at least if I'd
> > believe
> > you.
> >
> > The X800 is a very good card, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
> > It's
> > very fast and has excellent image quality. Pixel Shader 3.0, that's just
> > nVidia nonsense. Pixel Shader 2.0b can do almost exactly the same! No
real
> > need for PS3.0.... further more, ATi's OpenGL performance really isn't
as
> > bad as you'd make us believe. Doom3 runs really well on my X800 Pro...
> > besides, ATi is in the process of completely rewriting their OpenGL
> > drivers
> > so a performance boost is just around the corner.
> >
> > Besides, nVidia optimised for Doom3. That's nice, but don't forget there
> > will be many, many games based on the Half-Life 2 engine, an engine
which
> > is
> > optimised for ATi-cards.
> >
> > =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands
> >

> Uh, NVIDIA nonsense? PS 3.0 is MICROSOFT's specification retard.
>
> ATI hasn't been able to produce a decent OGL driver in 5 years. There are
no
> magical performance boosts "around the corner".

That's not what I heard, ok i never really read much into what a company
says they are working on, but as ATI have now released one of the top 2
cards on the market (the other being the 6800, obviously) they will be
working very hard at getting the openGL right for a next release of drivers,
and as that is software based and has not much to do with the card, when
they do bring out this new driver the x800 will be the better card, and as
for PS3 on the 6800, my friend has one of these cards, the best one I think
its the ultra, and I have the x800 XT PE and we both took a screenshot in
Far Cry with all our settings maxed out, he had his ps3 turned on, and there
was absolutely no difference in quality, we also recorded 2 short movie
clips in far cry and again, there was nothing different, except his 6800
sometimes suffered on fps so my conclusion, once ATI get the openGL driver
sorted, my card will be the best.

Remo-Shiva wrote:

> "ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian Dickens" <newsgroups@(remove-this-part)briandickens.demon.nl>
>> wrote in message news:rC2_c.77$l05.16@text.usenetserver.com...

>> > Gee. So all those benchmarks on the net are wrong, at least if I'd
>> > believe
>> > you.
>> >
>> > The X800 is a very good card, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
>> > It's
>> > very fast and has excellent image quality. Pixel Shader 3.0, that's
>> > just nVidia nonsense. Pixel Shader 2.0b can do almost exactly the same!
>> > No
> real
>> > need for PS3.0.... further more, ATi's OpenGL performance really isn't
> as
>> > bad as you'd make us believe. Doom3 runs really well on my X800 Pro...
>> > besides, ATi is in the process of completely rewriting their OpenGL
>> > drivers
>> > so a performance boost is just around the corner.
>> >
>> > Besides, nVidia optimised for Doom3. That's nice, but don't forget
>> > there will be many, many games based on the Half-Life 2 engine, an
>> > engine
> which
>> > is
>> > optimised for ATi-cards.
>> >
>> > =- Brian Dickens, the Netherlands
>> >

>> Uh, NVIDIA nonsense? PS 3.0 is MICROSOFT's specification retard.
>>
>> ATI hasn't been able to produce a decent OGL driver in 5 years. There are
> no
>> magical performance boosts "around the corner".
>>

> That's not what I heard, ok i never really read much into what a company
> says they are working on, but as ATI have now released one of the top 2
> cards on the market (the other being the 6800, obviously) they will be
> working very hard at getting the openGL right for a next release of
> drivers,

Why would they all of a sudden after all this time decide to make OpenGL a
priority?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote
[Guys at ATi]
> Why would they all of a sudden after all this time decide to
> make OpenGL a priority?

Because otherwise they would look bad in the eyes
of all Doom3-fans?-)

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

otherwise they would look bad in the eyes
> of all Doom3-fans?-)

From what I've read on the net the number of Doom 3 fans is quite small :)

Andrew

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:42:24 +0100, "dave" <dave@parystec.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>Question is, if you were a game developer and had seen the CryEngine and the
>Doom3 engine, which would you use for your game ?

Neither, HL2 looks the best all round proposition IMO.