ATI spanked by NVIDIA in HL 2 engine benchmarks

EC

"ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:MO2_c.198484$sh.16666@fed1read06...
> Here are some Source benchmarks ( HL 2 engine ):
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
>
> Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
> one will be playing in.

Well ATI fangirls, what's the explanation? I thought ATI was going to *own*
NVIDIA in this engine? LOL! Let me guess, "new drivers" are coming!

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:37:34 -0700, "ec" <temp@no.com> wrote:

>"ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:MO2_c.198484$sh.16666@fed1read06...
>> Here are some Source benchmarks ( HL 2 engine ):
>>
>> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
>>
>> Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
>> one will be playing in.
>>

>Well ATI fangirls, what's the explanation? I thought ATI was going to *own*
>NVIDIA in this engine? LOL! Let me guess, "new drivers" are coming!

if we say you are right, will you go away?

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:37:34 -0700, ec wrote:

> "ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:MO2_c.198484$sh.16666@fed1read06...
>> Here are some Source benchmarks ( HL 2 engine ):
>>
>> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
>>
>> Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
>> one will be playing in.
>>

> Well ATI fangirls, what's the explanation? I thought ATI was going to *own*
> NVIDIA in this engine? LOL! Let me guess, "new drivers" are coming!

egads, some one needs to call this kids mommie to tell her that she needs
to put him to bed and to keep him off usenet. plonk.

"ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message news:MO2_c.198484$sh.16666@fed1read06...
> Here are some Source benchmarks ( HL 2 engine ):
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
>
> Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
one
> will be playing in.

Do try to remember that whole "ATI is better for Half Life 2" stuff came
with the LAST generation of cards... when the nVidia FX cards were horrible
at DirectX 9. With HL2's delay, nVidia was able to get their act together.
Now the big issue is if you'll have a power supply big enough to power the
nVidia card...

spencer

The link say's it all, "Counter Strike Source BETA"

Hardly a comparison for a game that is still in the making.

Although I admit the 6800 is a bloody good card.
I have an ATI X800 Pro and it does what I want it to do.
Could not give a damn about the xtra 2 frames per Second. Hardly noticeable
when playing.

It's a bit like "my dicks bigger than yours" but it's what comes out of it
that makes all the difference.

And mine keeps me happy ;-O

Spence

"Bobins" <bobins@nthellonearthworld.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
>>
>> Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
>> one will be playing in.
>
> Does the nVidia still take up 2 slots on my mobo ? And will I need to
> upgrade my350W PSU ?
> Answer please.

Power supply: probably not (they require a good quality 350W power supply).
2 slots: depends on the card you buy (some do some don't)

--
NoRemorse
"Expect me when you see me."

EC

"Bobins" <bobins@nthellonearthworld.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
>>
>> Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
>> one will be playing in.
>
> Does the nVidia still take up 2 slots on my mobo ? And will I need to
> upgrade my350W PSU ?
> Answer please.

6800 GT = 1 slot, 300W PS.

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

"Bobins" <bobins@nthellonearthworld.com> wrote in message
>> http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
>>
>> Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
>> one will be playing in.
>
> Does the nVidia still take up 2 slots on my mobo ? And will I need to
> upgrade my350W PSU ?
> Answer please.

My 9700 Pro took up 2 slots with the VGA silencer installed. I never put
anything in PCI slot 1 anyway. Now using a Leadtek A400 GT and my only issue
is the length of the card, but that isn't anything to cry and turn all
childish and fanboi about.

"Fred At Home" <fredlly@yuorkiiding.com> wrote in message

> "ec" <temp@no.com> wrote in message
> > Here are some Source benchmarks ( HL 2 engine ):
> >
> > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/counter_strike_source/page5.asp
> >
> > Looks like ATI loses in all of them except in 2048x1536, a resolution no
> > one will be playing in.
>
> That's not the HL2 engine. What you smokin'?

Actually, it is. The Counter Strike: Source beta uses the HL2 "Source"
engine. And it has a built-in benchmark for testing your hardware with the
Source engine.

So that is the actual HL2 engine, just not running the HL2 resources...

It looks like the nVidias are winning on shader support. Might be that the highest resolution goes
ATIs way because then the raw processing power comes to the fore.

Either way, Im still holding onto my 9800 pro for some time to come because it runs well on all the
games I have played recently (inlcuding Doom 3), and the serious openGL apps I use (realtime
viewport rendering in 3D authoring) so its all really a bit academic for me, and it seems like its
the same for many others... sales of these high end cards seem to be petty low (so these price
points will have to drop fast IMO). Looks to me as if the buying public has warmed to the fact that
in the most likely gaming resolutions, there is really no difference between clutting and bleeding
edge cards. Even with the high gaming resolutions, you need a really powerfull CPU to push it, so
folks are saying no thanks.