Trojans

The other day I scanned my computer for viruses and was given a clean bill of
health by my anti-virus software. I then went online and signed up for
broadband from BT. While navigating the various pages needed to complete my
order I received two warnings that the page I was about to visit had a
security certificate but it was either invalid or yet to be verified. It
asked if I wanted to continue to which I responded yes. I finished the order
and then logged off. I then obtained a new update for my antivirus and did a
scan and found I had a trojan in two locations. I never went to any other
site and I am wondering if the security warning I received (twice) and
responding yes allowed the trojan to be installed on my machine. I can not
remember the name but it created a directory in my temp internet directory
called silent install.

If anyone has any ideas as to the reason this trojan got on my machin e I
would be grateful for the knowledge given.

Thanks in advance
3 answers Last reply
More about trojans

    I can't imagine BT giving you a Trojan, however you might be interested in
    trying TrojanRemover just in case. It's available on a fully functional 30
    day free trial here: http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/download.html

    --
    Peter.
    Toronto, Canada.
    "LeeG" <LeeG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The other day I scanned my computer for viruses and was given a clean bill
    > of
    > health by my anti-virus software. I then went online and signed up for
    > broadband from BT. While navigating the various pages needed to complete
    > my
    > order I received two warnings that the page I was about to visit had a
    > security certificate but it was either invalid or yet to be verified. It
    > asked if I wanted to continue to which I responded yes. I finished the
    > order
    > and then logged off. I then obtained a new update for my antivirus and
    > did a
    > scan and found I had a trojan in two locations. I never went to any other
    > site and I am wondering if the security warning I received (twice) and
    > responding yes allowed the trojan to be installed on my machine. I can
    > not
    > remember the name but it created a directory in my temp internet directory
    > called silent install.
    >
    > If anyone has any ideas as to the reason this trojan got on my machin e I
    > would be grateful for the knowledge given.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I am not saying that BT gave me this trojan but was asking if the security
    warning was an avenue for the trojan to infect my computer, (i.e. Its riding
    piggy back and needs the the okay to continue making you think it is
    authentic.) I just happened to be on the bt website when it happened.

    From: "LeeG" <LeeG@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | The other day I scanned my computer for viruses and was given a clean bill of
    | health by my anti-virus software. I then went online and signed up for
    | broadband from BT. While navigating the various pages needed to complete my
    | order I received two warnings that the page I was about to visit had a
    | security certificate but it was either invalid or yet to be verified. It
    | asked if I wanted to continue to which I responded yes. I finished the order
    | and then logged off. I then obtained a new update for my antivirus and did a
    | scan and found I had a trojan in two locations. I never went to any other
    | site and I am wondering if the security warning I received (twice) and
    | responding yes allowed the trojan to be installed on my machine. I can not
    | remember the name but it created a directory in my temp internet directory
    | called silent install.
    |
    | If anyone has any ideas as to the reason this trojan got on my machin e I
    | would be grateful for the knowledge given.
    |
    | Thanks in advance

    There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

    microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    The answer could be as simple as you had a Trojan already on your PC that your un-identified
    AV application did not have signatures for.

    Later, those signatures were downloaded and the un-identified Trojan was found by your
    un-identified AV application.

    --
    Dave

Security Windows XP