Stripping - For fun and Profit!

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
http://ideas.time.com/2012/04/06/strip-searches-the-supreme-courts-disturbing-decision/?xid=gonewsedit

It might seem that in the United States, being pulled over for driving without a seat belt should not end with the government ordering you to take off your clothes and “lift your genitals.” But there is no guarantee that this is the case – not since the Supreme Court ruled this week that the Constitution does not prohibit the government from strip searching people charged with even minor offenses. The court’s 5-4 ruling turns a deeply humiliating procedure – one most Americans would very much like to avoid – into a routine law enforcement tactic.

I cant wrap my head around this one, no matter how hard I look at it from a different view. I dont think cops will be pulling over people for minor infractions and strip searching people but It is entirely legal to be strip searched for minor offenses.

People have already been strip searched (In America) for: driving with a noisy muffler, failing to use a turn signal, and riding a bicycle without an audible bell.

Not to start any kind of party warfare but it was only the 5 conservative judges that voted for this plan.

riser

Illustrious
Eh, I support the SCOTUS in this one. The guy had a prior offense, didn't show up to court (habeas corpus) which a bench warrant was issued. He paid his fine, but he didn't show up to court under habeas corpus and therefore was arrested again - failure to appear. We do not know what his prior offense was but based on his character of not showing up to court when released on the law, yes, arrest him.

If you had a court appearance and didn't show, what would you expect? You get arrested. Had he followed the law and appeared before court as he agreed to do, this wouldn't have happened. The fault is his own.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
What the hell is happening to America??This is getting to be to much government intervention like Nazi Germany which i hope never happens again.A waste of precious taxpayers earnings.

I pride myself on pushing my made up statistics to at least 50% ... you should have seen the crap I put in the last briefing paper I wrote ... er researched.

I squared the standard error of the mean and then squared it again ... just for the hell of it.

:)

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

He did follow the law. He did nothing wrong. The guy carried around a document showing everything had been cleared up, because police had confronted him multiple times about it. Even though the guy might not be a model citizen he is still a person and entitled to all of the protections of the constitution.

Its also not so much about this case. Its the precedent its setting.

riser

Illustrious

Where did that information come from? I didn't read anything about him carrying around papers proving it. But even if he did, the issue was a Bench Warrent was present because he didn't go to court as was ordered. Not the fine. So even if he paid the fine, he still had the warrant for failure to appear. Granted, the judge could have wiped that as dismissed it wholely but the computer system may not have been updated yet.

Why was he pulled over in the first place?

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
This just allows our friends in blue a more legal fishing system. Getting pulled over because you do not have a light on your license plate and then getting strip searched sounds iffy to me. (I recently got pulled over for this violation at 3 in the morning, no doubt he thought I was up to no good, rolling through the neighborhood.) I didn't get strip searched but from what I understand it would have been within his power to do so.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/florence-v-board-of-chosen-freeholders-of-the-county-of-burlington/

Here is a much better site for info on the case. Kinda rushed it with the initial offering.

I think we can all imagine a scenario where a (relatively) innocent person could be placed into a situation where they could be strip searched. Im not saying that everyone will be forced into this kind of situation but the possibility is out there and it would be perfectly legal.

Also as a side note did you know that the USA has 25% (I think, at least the highest) of the worlds prison population? Maybe some of the for profit jails moved some money around......

riser

Illustrious

You would need to be arrested first. I've never been arrested for a minor traffic violation.

riser

Illustrious

Ok that's a lot of reading. Can you just link to the part that describes the individual having the papers as proof and all that jazz? :)