unauthorized access to laptop from net

Hi,

Strange situation. My C:\ drive is shared out under admin share C$ with
permissions to access given to local admins group, and to my login acct on
the domain.

When any user from any client on the domain does run, \\mylaptop\c$, then
they get a login prompt before being able to access my C:\ drive. But I have
an XP system that has network access, but is not joined to the domain, and
when that station does run, \\mylaptop\c$ it pops them right in to my C:\
drive. No questions asked. The Windows Firewall is enabled on my laptop as
well.

So, if you are logged into the domain, then no access without log in box. If
you are not logged in, but are on the same subnet, you can access any C:
drive on the network.

Does anyone have any idea how to restrict anonymous, non-domain users from
accessing everything?

Thanks in advance

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:13:01 -0800, Will wrote:

> When any user from any client on the domain does run, \\mylaptop\c$, then
> they get a login prompt before being able to access my C:\ drive. But I have
> an XP system that has network access, but is not joined to the domain, and
> when that station does run, \\mylaptop\c$ it pops them right in to my C:\
> drive. No questions asked. The Windows Firewall is enabled on my laptop as
> well.

I would guess that your Windows XP computer is using the same user name
and password - if you have a computer not part of a domain and try to
access a \\domain_member\share, if the computer (non-domain) is logged on
with a user that has a matching user/pwd it will let them in as the domain
user/pwd.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

thanks for your reply Leythos,

Actually I am logged on as the local administrator of the XP system that is
not on the domain, not as my own domain acct.

I guess I need to go in and play around with the NTFS permissions on the C:
drive a little more. But I thought by default that only the domain admins, or
the local admins of the box you are trying to reach could have access to
domain clients whether your are part of the domain or not. It certainly holds
true with clients on my domain, that works very well as I pop around from
client to client reaching other clients and the server.