Rumor has it ATI X800 512MB this october

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2004 10:22:17 PM

Info found at http://www.teamradeon.com Look under the "The Rumour
Mill".

I doubt it'll come out though. 256MB is hardly in stock and that's
just the plain XT version. Who knows when the PE in coming out.

Motherboard: Asus P5AD2 Premium
PSU: Antec 550 Watt
CPU: Intel Pentium 3.2Ghz 1MB L2 Cache /w HT
Hard Drive: Western Digital 36.7GB SATA 10K-RPM
Memory: OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth DDR2 PC2-4200 533Mhz
1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel (4-3-3-12)
Audio: Integrated 7.1 channel C-Media
Video Card: ASUS ATI RADEON X800 XT PCI-E (not Platinum Edition)
OS: Windows XP Pro /w SP2 + all updates, DirectX 9.0c
CD-Drive 1: Asus 52x CD-ROM
CD-Drive 2: Sony DVD/CD 4x-R+R-RW+RW Combo Drive
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 6:22:56 AM

It is my humble opinion is that ATI X800 512MB is an overkill. Why would
anybody need a video card with 512MB of memory? You can operate a computer
using 512MB of memory on the motherboard, and that much memory only dedicated
to video card is just an overkill. I doubt that in the near future there will
be games or other applications that will require that much memory on the video
card.
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 7:11:47 AM

"Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message
> It is my humble opinion is that ATI X800 512MB is an overkill. Why would
> anybody need a video card with 512MB of memory? You can operate a computer
> using 512MB of memory on the motherboard, and that much memory only
dedicated
> to video card is just an overkill. I doubt that in the near future there
will
> be games or other applications that will require that much memory on the
video
> card.

The "Ultra" setting in Doom 3 was made specifically for 512MB in the video
card...
September 4, 2004 7:44:07 AM

512 mb video card is quite feasible in my opinion.... think about the days
when people laughed when they heard 32mb cards were coming out... who would
need that!!
"H3LpM3P1z" <JamesKim1111972@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Info found at http://www.teamradeon.com Look under the "The Rumour
> Mill".
>
> I doubt it'll come out though. 256MB is hardly in stock and that's
> just the plain XT version. Who knows when the PE in coming out.

> Motherboard: Asus P5AD2 Premium
> PSU: Antec 550 Watt
> CPU: Intel Pentium 3.2Ghz 1MB L2 Cache /w HT
> Hard Drive: Western Digital 36.7GB SATA 10K-RPM
> Memory: OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth DDR2 PC2-4200 533Mhz
> 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel (4-3-3-12)
> Audio: Integrated 7.1 channel C-Media
> Video Card: ASUS ATI RADEON X800 XT PCI-E (not Platinum Edition)
> OS: Windows XP Pro /w SP2 + all updates, DirectX 9.0c
> CD-Drive 1: Asus 52x CD-ROM
> CD-Drive 2: Sony DVD/CD 4x-R+R-RW+RW Combo Drive
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 1:47:43 PM

I remember when people laughed about having 32MB on a mother board, let
along video card!

Bill Crocker

"Robert Jackson" <rabramson1@si.rr.com> wrote in message
> 512 mb video card is quite feasible in my opinion.... think about the days
> when people laughed when they heard 32mb cards were coming out... who
> would need that!!
> "H3LpM3P1z" <JamesKim1111972@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Info found at http://www.teamradeon.com Look under the "The Rumour
>> Mill".
>>
>> I doubt it'll come out though. 256MB is hardly in stock and that's
>> just the plain XT version. Who knows when the PE in coming out.

>> Motherboard: Asus P5AD2 Premium
>> PSU: Antec 550 Watt
>> CPU: Intel Pentium 3.2Ghz 1MB L2 Cache /w HT
>> Hard Drive: Western Digital 36.7GB SATA 10K-RPM
>> Memory: OCZ Enhanced Bandwidth DDR2 PC2-4200 533Mhz
>> 1GB (2x512MB) Dual Channel (4-3-3-12)
>> Audio: Integrated 7.1 channel C-Media
>> Video Card: ASUS ATI RADEON X800 XT PCI-E (not Platinum Edition)
>> OS: Windows XP Pro /w SP2 + all updates, DirectX 9.0c
>> CD-Drive 1: Asus 52x CD-ROM
>> CD-Drive 2: Sony DVD/CD 4x-R+R-RW+RW Combo Drive

Anonymous
September 4, 2004 6:36:45 PM

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:47:43 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
<wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:

>I remember when people laughed about having 32MB on a mother board, let
>along video card!
>
>Bill Crocker

I distinctly remember a teacher saying "We'll NEVER need more than 64k
or Ram". He thought that the Commodore 64 was the be-all and end-all
of computers

You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
that will make things a lot smoother.
-Felatio Love
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 12:51:28 AM

....and the 10Mb HD - "...we'll never use 10Mb."
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

"GTD" <duh@stoopid.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:47:43 -0400, "Bill Crocker"
> <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I remember when people laughed about having 32MB on a mother board, let
>>along video card!
>>
>>Bill Crocker
>
> I distinctly remember a teacher saying "We'll NEVER need more than 64k
> or Ram". He thought that the Commodore 64 was the be-all and end-all
> of computers

> You should start drinking prune juice and KY jelly cocktails right now,
> that will make things a lot smoother.
> -Felatio Love
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 8:10:42 PM

"640k is all you'll ever need"

Bill Gates 1981
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 8:39:01 PM

On 06 Sep 2004 16:10:42 GMT, idbbs01@aol.comeatspam (Idbbs01) wrote:

>"640k is all you'll ever need"
>
>Bill Gates 1981

Find the citation. Bill Gates says he never said this supposed quote.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 11:57:59 PM

On 2004-09-04 05:22:56 +0300, pccomputerdr@aol.com (Pccomputerdr) said:

> It is my humble opinion is that ATI X800 512MB is an overkill. Why would
> anybody need a video card with 512MB of memory? You can operate a computer
> using 512MB of memory on the motherboard, and that much memory only dedicated
> to video card is just an overkill. I doubt that in the near future there will
> be games or other applications that will require that much memory on the video
> card.

Well, Apple has some interesting approach to this subject. It is true
that you do not use all the GPU power at all times. It is mostly used
in games n' stuff. But Apple developed some technologies to use the
"unused" GPU power - I don't know exactly but possibly the free memory
on video card also - for everyday tasks. For example when applying a
filter in Photoshop the OS uses GPU power instead of CPU power, leaving
system resources free for other applications. Simply it adds one more
"partial" CPU to the system.

Check the following adress:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/core.html
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 6:55:37 AM

And it is you can do all you want with 640k ?

On 06 Sep 2004 16:10:42 GMT, idbbs01@aol.comeatspam (Idbbs01) wrote:

>"640k is all you'll ever need"
>
>Bill Gates 1981

HELLO NURSE.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 7:15:27 AM

>>"640k is all you'll ever need"
>>
>>Bill Gates 1981
>
>Find the citation. Bill Gates says he never said this supposed quote.

He said it.
Anonymous
September 7, 2004 7:58:01 PM

On 07 Sep 2004 03:15:27 GMT, idbbs01@aol.comeatspam (Idbbs01) wrote:

>He said it.

Prove it.
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 6:04:15 AM

>>He said it.
>
>Prove it.

Email PCMag and ask them. They published the interview.
September 8, 2004 1:25:15 PM

"Pccomputerdr" <pccomputerdr@aol.com> wrote in message
> It is my humble opinion is that ATI X800 512MB is an overkill. Why would
> anybody need a video card with 512MB of memory? You can operate a computer
> using 512MB of memory on the motherboard, and that much memory only
dedicated
> to video card is just an overkill. I doubt that in the near future there
will
> be games or other applications that will require that much memory on the
video
> card.

I disagree completely, one of the major faults in games is still the detail
in "non-special" background textures such as (flat)grass, mud, plain walls
etc. and the more memory for these the better. Also adding bump-mapping to
everything in a game would be nice (so far only seen in benchmark software)
this also requires more memory.
As an example - assume you're running a game at 1280*1024 and are looking at
a flat wall facing you, then to get "maximum" quality the texture on view
should be 1280*1024,
ie 1280*3 Kb for a 24-bit texture ie. 3.75 Mb of texture space for just that
one small area of wall, with textures this size it would take no time at all
to get to 512Mb.
Also remember that when handling nice graphics in packages such as PSP or
Photoshop your Windows system will use virtual RAM (ie. hard drive) when
necessary, this is not possible for a realtime computer game - in other
words I'd argue that a video card actually needs memory MORE than the
motherboard does, however I'd have to admit that it'll be less important
when we all have PCI express (16* !!).
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:50:46 PM

And this has plagued PC users until the release of NT...

!