firewall always enabled. How to tell if due to GPO

My notebook has XP SP2 loaded and has joined a Domain of a corporate network.
Whether I am online or offline, if I logon as domain/username, Xp will not
allow me to turn OFF the firewall. The radio button that says "Off (Not
Recommended)" is just greyed out.

At the top of the Windows Firewall Dialog Box is the following Text. "For
your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy".

What other tests can I do to find out whether or not the "missing firewall
choice" is due to Group Policy? I haven't tried logging in as local
administrator to find out, but any risks in doing so?

Well, let you what. I logon as Local Administrator. Log off and logon back as
domain user, suddenly xp allows me to turn off the firewall again. What does
it mean?