VIVO vs regular TV in/out?

Lou

The HIS X800 Pro has TV in/out with 1024x768 resolution. The Saphire X800
Pro with VIVO (tv in/out , res. ?) and cost about the same. I cloud not
find more info on the VIVO of the Saphire card. What is the difference
between regular TV in/out and VIVO?

Thanks,
Lou

Todd

Vivo lets you capture video from, say, a camcorder or a VCR to your hard drive.

TV out is just that, output from the PC to the TV only.
--
Todd

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

ViVO has Video In/Out and TV In/Out also has a TV Tuner attached to the
graphics card.

The TV card can off course handle Video also, not just TV!

/J

"Todd" <nospam@abc.net> wrote in message
> Vivo lets you capture video from, say, a camcorder or a VCR to your hard
drive.

> TV out is just that, output from the PC to the TV only.
> --
> Todd

km

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 03:54:22 GMT, "Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote:

>The HIS X800 Pro has TV in/out with 1024x768 resolution. The Saphire X800
>Pro with VIVO (tv in/out , res. ?) and cost about the same. I cloud not
>find more info on the VIVO of the Saphire card. What is the difference
>between regular TV in/out and VIVO?
>
>Thanks,
>Lou

I would be interested in finding out more.

On the face of it a TV In may be limited in capture to AVI format
whereas VIVO can also allow mpg capture.

I say this simply from researching Retail sites with descriptions of
products. I am planning to buy one or the other and TV In generally
seems cheaper but if I am correct about the AVI and mpg issue I would
prefer the VIVO as AVI will take up masses of HardDrive space prior to
carrying out any Editing.

KM

Lou

"km" <kevin44@mcgeek.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 03:54:22 GMT, "Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>The HIS X800 Pro has TV in/out with 1024x768 resolution. The Saphire X800
>>Pro with VIVO (tv in/out , res. ?) and cost about the same. I cloud not
>>find more info on the VIVO of the Saphire card. What is the difference
>>between regular TV in/out and VIVO?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Lou
>>
> I would be interested in finding out more.
>
> On the face of it a TV In may be limited in capture to AVI format
> whereas VIVO can also allow mpg capture.
>
> I say this simply from researching Retail sites with descriptions of
> products. I am planning to buy one or the other and TV In generally
> seems cheaper but if I am correct about the AVI and mpg issue I would
> prefer the VIVO as AVI will take up masses of HardDrive space prior to
> carrying out any Editing.
>
> KM

Thanks for the replies. I may have mis read the add for the HIS X800 Pro and
said TV in, but it actually just said TV out (should be called video out
IMO). http://www.hisdigital.com/html/x800pro_iceqii.htm
I dont see any mention of TV or video in, so I guess thats the benifit of
the cards with VIVO to have video in.

One very interesing thing about the VIVO cards I have found is that there
has been some success of flashing the BIOS to open the 12 piplines to 16
like the XT models. However it seems that this sometimes limits any
overclocking of the card and is a bit risky.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=a736f316d674eef6afa3907b0183c8fc&threadid=36912&perpage=25&pagenumber=4

Seems I may as well get the VIVO card if the price is the same.

Lou

VIVO has both Video-In (usually use a vcr, camcorder, sat receiver or tv to
feed it a signal, generally using rca jacks and composite connection) and
Video-Out (TV-Out, generally composite and/or SVHS cable). Note you can use
a vcr or sat receiver as a substitute for a receiver if you want to
watch/record tv. They usually depend upon your sound card for the audio
part.

TV-In/Out besides usually including the video-in and Video-Out above also
adds a software tv channel tuner. Having the tuner tends to add some
flexibility to the video input (assuming cable tv), e.g. might have
pic-in-pic, thumbnails of multipule channels, record one while watching
another etc. etc. Sound is handle by the tuner when watching tv and (I
assume) use mixer and sound card to feed audio if/when using Video-In, e.g.
composite in.

In my case, rural area, no cable, just sat so VIVO's fine.

I should note I'd recommend a fairly modern beefy pc if you want to record
at the best quality and not drop frames. Just watching and capturing the odd
frame (e.g. snapshot) demands little.

"Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote in message
> The HIS X800 Pro has TV in/out with 1024x768 resolution. The Saphire X800
> Pro with VIVO (tv in/out , res. ?) and cost about the same. I cloud not
> find more info on the VIVO of the Saphire card. What is the difference
> between regular TV in/out and VIVO?
>
> Thanks,
> Lou

I have a Leaktek tv tuner but no Vivo, I can capture
from VCR or DVD player to HD. So I don't think you
necessarily need Vivo to capture.

"Todd" <nospam@abc.net> wrote in message
> Vivo lets you capture video from, say, a camcorder or a VCR to your hard
drive.

> TV out is just that, output from the PC to the TV only.
> --
> Todd

"km" <kevin44@mcgeek.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 03:54:22 GMT, "Lou" <no-spam@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> >The HIS X800 Pro has TV in/out with 1024x768 resolution. The Saphire X800
> >Pro with VIVO (tv in/out , res. ?) and cost about the same. I cloud not
> >find more info on the VIVO of the Saphire card. What is the difference
> >between regular TV in/out and VIVO?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Lou
> >
> I would be interested in finding out more.
>
> On the face of it a TV In may be limited in capture to AVI format
> whereas VIVO can also allow mpg capture.
>
> I say this simply from researching Retail sites with descriptions of
> products. I am planning to buy one or the other and TV In generally
> seems cheaper but if I am correct about the AVI and mpg issue I would
> prefer the VIVO as AVI will take up masses of HardDrive space prior to
> carrying out any Editing.

I capture to mpeg without VIVO. That's not a limitation
of TV-In, though it may be a limitation of the software used to
record. Though it's very hard to believe that there are any TV-tuners
on the market today that wouldn't let you capture to at least mpeg 2.