File Sharing in XP and Me

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
May 25, 2004 12:46:17 PM

I have installed a wireless connection using Microsoft Wireless Notebook Kit MN-820 54 Mbps. The desktop has Windows XP Home Edition and is cable connected to the Router as the Base station. The Laptop has wireless connection to the base and uses Windows Me. I have enabled file and printer sharing on both. I can access everything on the laptop, but I can't access files or printer with the Windows Me laptop. I can see the desktop computer on the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, when I click on the destop and go to the folders, a message saying "access denied" comes out. Can anyone please help. Thank You.

More about : file sharing

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 26, 2004 2:27:48 PM

You proably need to turn off XP's native firewall default is firewall on. Go
to network connections, right click your network connections, left click
properties and then the advanced tab.Uncheck the firewall box and you will
get an important warning that you are removing security protection abd
opening up your computer to intrusion. If you are novice at protection
suggest you look up artilces on securing your computer.
"Johnny Ortiz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have installed a wireless connection using Microsoft Wireless Notebook
Kit MN-820 54 Mbps. The desktop has Windows XP Home Edition and is cable
connected to the Router as the Base station. The Laptop has wireless
connection to the base and uses Windows Me. I have enabled file and printer
sharing on both. I can access everything on the laptop, but I can't access
files or printer with the Windows Me laptop. I can see the desktop computer
on the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, when I click on the destop and
go to the folders, a message saying "access denied" comes out. Can anyone
please help. Thank You.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 26, 2004 7:21:02 PM

No, I have Windows Xp home edition native firewall turned off since the moment I installed the network. So it's not the firewall. Any other suggestions?
a b F Wireless
May 27, 2004 6:09:00 AM

Have you shared the drives you want to see on the network on the xp machine?
"Johnny Ortiz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have installed a wireless connection using Microsoft Wireless Notebook
Kit MN-820 54 Mbps. The desktop has Windows XP Home Edition and is cable
connected to the Router as the Base station. The Laptop has wireless
connection to the base and uses Windows Me. I have enabled file and printer
sharing on both. I can access everything on the laptop, but I can't access
files or printer with the Windows Me laptop. I can see the desktop computer
on the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, when I click on the destop and
go to the folders, a message saying "access denied" comes out. Can anyone
please help. Thank You.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 27, 2004 10:56:04 AM

Yes, I can access all the files in the Notebook with Windows Me with the Windows XP Desktop with no problem at all. The problem is the other way. I can see the icon of the desktop on the Notebook, I can click on the icon and see the folders that I want to share from the desktop, but when I click on the folder, the "access denied" windows appears.
!