Catalyst Control Center installation question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2004 1:41:09 AM

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control Center?
I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel and just
add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking on the
shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that no ATI
drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's since mid
August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding the
Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks about if you
don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old Control
Panel and everything is back to normal again.
My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week now
without incident.
_Fred
September 5, 2004 8:25:33 AM

Try uninstalling the 4.8's and then reinstalling
then reinstall the Control Center
this worked for me
peter
"Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
> Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control Center? I
> looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel and just add
> the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking on the shortcut on
> my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that no ATI drivers were
> loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's since mid August. I did the
> upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding the Catalyst Control Center. I
> doubt the error that ATI talks about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I
> saw.
> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old Control
> Panel and everything is back to normal again.
> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week now
> without incident.
> _Fred

September 5, 2004 1:25:41 PM

Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the 4.8
driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.

"Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
> Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
> and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
> on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
> no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
> since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding
> the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks about if
> you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
> now without incident.
> _Fred

September 5, 2004 7:05:38 PM

Phil_ I already was running the 4.8 drivers and matching Control Panel. I
though you ran either the legacy Control Panel "or" the new Catalyst Control
Center, but do not need both loaded to run the new Catalyst Control Center.
_Fred
"Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the 4.8
> driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.
>

> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
>> Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
>> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
>> and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
>> on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
>> no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
>> since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to
>> adding the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks
>> about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
>> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
>> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
>> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
>> now without incident.
>> _Fred

September 5, 2004 7:05:39 PM

All i know is that i installed from the 40MB d/l, which had its components
listed as: 4.8 driver, control panel, and catalyst control panel.

> Phil_ I already was running the 4.8 drivers and matching Control Panel.
> I though you ran either the legacy Control Panel "or" the new Catalyst
> Control Center, but do not need both loaded to run the new Catalyst
> Control Center.
> _Fred
> "Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the
>> 4.8 driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.
>>

>> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have
>>> the Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
>>> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control
>>> Panel and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and
>>> clicking on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center
>>> complained that no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been
>>> running 4.8's since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1
>>> prior to adding the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI
>>> talks about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
>>> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
>>> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
>>> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
>>> now without incident.
>>> _Fred

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 11:27:52 PM

Update: Guess I was just thinking to much. With the 4.8 drivers and the
legacy Control Panel working just fine I added the Catalyst Control Center
separately and now the CCC works just fine.
> All i know is that i installed from the 40MB d/l, which had its components
> listed as: 4.8 driver, control panel, and catalyst control panel.
>

> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Phil_ I already was running the 4.8 drivers and matching Control Panel.
>> I though you ran either the legacy Control Panel "or" the new Catalyst
>> Control Center, but do not need both loaded to run the new Catalyst
>> Control Center.
>> _Fred
>> "Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the
>>> 4.8 driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.
>>>

>>> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:10:06 PM

Control Panel must be installed.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

"Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
> Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
> and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
> on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
> no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
> since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding
> the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks about if
> you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
> now without incident.
> _Fred

Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:29:22 PM

When I initially installed Control Center I did so with Control panel
installed and it worked, but when I tried to access the old Control Panel I
got a BSOD. I seem to recall a note indicating that CP had to be installed
so I uninstalled CC, reinstalled CP and CC. CC still worked fine but the
BSOD prevailed when I tried to access CP. I did some more homework and found
this in the FAQ;

Do I still have access to the classic control panel?
This edition of the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER includes the ATI classic
control panel and it is installed as part of the display driver
installation. However, the ATI classic control panel is non functional and
is only available after the uninstall of the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER."
--
Tally Ho!
Ed Forsythe

"Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Control Panel must be installed.
> --
> Tally Ho!
> Ed Forsythe
> Maryland, USA
>

> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
>> Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
>> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
>> and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
>> on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
>> no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
>> since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to
>> adding the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks
>> about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
>> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
>> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
>> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
>> now without incident.
>> _Fred

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 3:16:40 AM

With both the legacy ControlPanel and ATI Catalyst driver installed I was
able to install the new CCC. OK... looks nice but for me, no big deal.
Then I updated .NET Framework 1.1 to SP1. CCC again complains about ATI
drivers not being installed.... Ugh. I probably just had to reinstall the
CCC but decided to just uninstalled CCC amd my legacy Control Center was
back. Good enough for me until I have no choice.
_Fred

!