Catalyst Control Center installation question

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control Center?
I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel and just
add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking on the
shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that no ATI
drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's since mid
August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding the
Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks about if you
don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old Control
Panel and everything is back to normal again.
My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week now
without incident.
_Fred
8 answers Last reply
More about catalyst control center installation question

    Try uninstalling the 4.8's and then reinstalling
    then reinstall the Control Center
    this worked for me
    peter
    "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
    > Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control Center? I
    > looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel and just add
    > the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking on the shortcut on
    > my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that no ATI drivers were
    > loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's since mid August. I did the
    > upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding the Catalyst Control Center. I
    > doubt the error that ATI talks about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I
    > saw.
    > I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old Control
    > Panel and everything is back to normal again.
    > My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week now
    > without incident.
    > _Fred

    Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the 4.8
    driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.

    "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
    > Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
    > Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
    > and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
    > on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
    > no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
    > since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding
    > the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks about if
    > you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
    > I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
    > Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
    > My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
    > now without incident.
    > _Fred

    Phil_ I already was running the 4.8 drivers and matching Control Panel. I
    though you ran either the legacy Control Panel "or" the new Catalyst Control
    Center, but do not need both loaded to run the new Catalyst Control Center.
    _Fred
    "Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the 4.8
    > driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.
    >

    > "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
    >> Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
    >> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
    >> and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
    >> on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
    >> no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
    >> since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to
    >> adding the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks
    >> about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
    >> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
    >> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
    >> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
    >> now without incident.
    >> _Fred

    All i know is that i installed from the 40MB d/l, which had its components
    listed as: 4.8 driver, control panel, and catalyst control panel.

    > Phil_ I already was running the 4.8 drivers and matching Control Panel.
    > I though you ran either the legacy Control Panel "or" the new Catalyst
    > Control Center, but do not need both loaded to run the new Catalyst
    > Control Center.
    > _Fred
    > "Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the
    >> 4.8 driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.
    >>

    >> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have
    >>> the Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
    >>> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control
    >>> Panel and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and
    >>> clicking on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center
    >>> complained that no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been
    >>> running 4.8's since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1
    >>> prior to adding the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI
    >>> talks about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
    >>> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
    >>> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
    >>> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
    >>> now without incident.
    >>> _Fred

    Update: Guess I was just thinking to much. With the 4.8 drivers and the
    legacy Control Panel working just fine I added the Catalyst Control Center
    separately and now the CCC works just fine.
    > All i know is that i installed from the 40MB d/l, which had its components
    > listed as: 4.8 driver, control panel, and catalyst control panel.
    >

    > "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Phil_ I already was running the 4.8 drivers and matching Control Panel.
    >> I though you ran either the legacy Control Panel "or" the new Catalyst
    >> Control Center, but do not need both loaded to run the new Catalyst
    >> Control Center.
    >> _Fred
    >> "Phil" <phil_essing@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Why not just d/l the 40MB file, which contans everything you need: the
    >>> 4.8 driver, Control Center, Catalyst Control Center.
    >>>

    >>> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message

    Control Panel must be installed.
    --
    Tally Ho!
    Ed Forsythe

    "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
    > Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
    > Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
    > and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
    > on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
    > no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
    > since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to adding
    > the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks about if
    > you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
    > I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
    > Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
    > My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
    > now without incident.
    > _Fred

    When I initially installed Control Center I did so with Control panel
    installed and it worked, but when I tried to access the old Control Panel I
    got a BSOD. I seem to recall a note indicating that CP had to be installed
    so I uninstalled CC, reinstalled CP and CC. CC still worked fine but the
    BSOD prevailed when I tried to access CP. I did some more homework and found
    this in the FAQ;

    Do I still have access to the classic control panel?
    This edition of the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER includes the ATI classic
    control panel and it is installed as part of the display driver
    installation. However, the ATI classic control panel is non functional and
    is only available after the uninstall of the CATALYST™ CONTROL CENTER."
    --
    Tally Ho!
    Ed Forsythe

    "Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Control Panel must be installed.
    > --
    > Tally Ho!
    > Ed Forsythe
    > Maryland, USA
    >

    > "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have the
    >> Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
    >> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control Panel
    >> and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and clicking
    >> on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center complained that
    >> no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been running 4.8's
    >> since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1 prior to
    >> adding the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI talks
    >> about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
    >> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
    >> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
    >> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
    >> now without incident.
    >> _Fred

    With both the legacy ControlPanel and ATI Catalyst driver installed I was
    able to install the new CCC. OK... looks nice but for me, no big deal.
    Then I updated .NET Framework 1.1 to SP1. CCC again complains about ATI
    drivers not being installed.... Ugh. I probably just had to reinstall the
    CCC but decided to just uninstalled CCC amd my legacy Control Center was
    back. Good enough for me until I have no choice.
    _Fred
    > When I initially installed Control Center I did so with Control panel
    > installed and it worked, but when I tried to access the old Control Panel
    > I got a BSOD. I seem to recall a note indicating that CP had to be
    > installed so I uninstalled CC, reinstalled CP and CC. CC still worked fine
    > but the BSOD prevailed when I tried to access CP. I did some more homework
    > and found this in the FAQ;
    >
    > Do I still have access to the classic control panel?
    > This edition of the CATALYSTT CONTROL CENTER includes the ATI classic
    > control panel and it is installed as part of the display driver
    > installation. However, the ATI classic control panel is non functional and
    > is only available after the uninstall of the CATALYSTT CONTROL CENTER."
    > --
    > Tally Ho!
    > Ed Forsythe
    > Maryland, USA
    >

    > "Ed Forsythe" <EdForsythe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Control Panel must be installed.
    >> --
    >> Tally Ho!
    >> Ed Forsythe
    >> Maryland, USA
    >>

    >> "Frederick Pileggi" <fredp.vt@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but do you have to have
    >>> the Control Panel installed before you install the new Catalyst Control
    >>> Center? I looked and assumed that I could uninstall the old Control
    >>> Panel and just add the Catalyst Control Center. After rebooting and
    >>> clicking on the shortcut on my desktop the Catalyst Control Center
    >>> complained that no ATI drivers were loaded. They certainly were! Been
    >>> running 4.8's since mid August. I did the upgrade to .NET Framework 1.1
    >>> prior to adding the Catalyst Control Center. I doubt the error that ATI
    >>> talks about if you don't have 1.1 installed is what I saw.
    >>> I backed off the Catalyst Control Center and reinstalled the old
    >>> Control Panel and everything is back to normal again.
    >>> My card is an ATI 9700Pro. Been running SP2 of XP Pro for almost a week
    >>> now without incident.
    >>> _Fred

Radeon Control Panel Catalyst ATI Graphics