system restore has been turned off by group policy

That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore. It
also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain administrator." I
have a home network with 2 computers. There is no designation of
administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the administrator of my
system. There is no "system restore" option tab under computer properties.
This all happened a few days ago, and things were working fine until then.
I really dislike not having the system restore option. Can someone please
tell me how to get it back?

System Restore Tab Missing
Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer Configuration,
Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
or
"Restore system restore services" #289
www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

snomann wrote:
> That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore.
> It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain
> administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers. There is no
> designation of administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the
> administrator of my system. There is no "system restore" option tab
> under computer properties. This all happened a few days ago, and
> things were working fine until then. I really dislike not having the
> system restore option. Can someone please tell me how to get it back?

I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
I do not have gpedit.msc

"Taurarian" wrote:

> System Restore Tab Missing
> Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer Configuration,
> Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
> or
> "Restore system restore services" #289
> www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>
> snomann wrote:
> > That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore.
> > It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain
> > administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers. There is no
> > designation of administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the
> > administrator of my system. There is no "system restore" option tab
> > under computer properties. This all happened a few days ago, and
> > things were working fine until then. I really dislike not having the
> > system restore option. Can someone please tell me how to get it back?

Basher

I have same problem and Kellys korner suggestion did not work either.

See also message from Yetti above on 12 March

"snomann" wrote:

> I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
> I do not have gpedit.msc
>

> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
> > System Restore Tab Missing
> > Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer Configuration,
> > Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
> > or
> > "Restore system restore services" #289
> > www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
> >
> > snomann wrote:
> > > That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore.
> > > It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain
> > > administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers. There is no
> > > designation of administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the
> > > administrator of my system. There is no "system restore" option tab
> > > under computer properties. This all happened a few days ago, and
> > > things were working fine until then. I really dislike not having the
> > > system restore option. Can someone please tell me how to get it back?

Check here:

For WinXP Home

Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT

Locate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".

Close Registry Editor

Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

snomann wrote:
> I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
> I do not have gpedit.msc
>

> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
>> System Restore Tab Missing
>> Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer
>> Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
>> or
>> "Restore system restore services" #289
>> www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>
>> snomann wrote:
>>> That's the error message I get when I try to activate system
>>> restore. It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your
>>> Domain administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers.
>>> There is no designation of administrator of the domain, that I know
>>> of. I am the administrator of my system. There is no "system
>>> restore" option tab under computer properties. This all happened a
>>> few days ago, and things were working fine until then. I really
>>> dislike not having the system restore option. Can someone please
>>> tell me how to get it back?

Basher

Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System properties

"Taurarian" wrote:

> Check here:
>
> For WinXP Home
>
> Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
>
> Locate to:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
> In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
>
> Close Registry Editor
>
> Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.
>
> Note you can save the registry key first by:
> On the File menu, click Export.
> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
> reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
>

> snomann wrote:
> > I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
> > I do not have gpedit.msc
> >

> > "Taurarian" wrote:
> >
> >> System Restore Tab Missing
> >> Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer
> >> Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
> >> or
> >> "Restore system restore services" #289
> >> www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Basher,

Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it as
well.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System properties
>
> "Taurarian" wrote:
>
>> Check here:
>>
>> For WinXP Home
>>
>> Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
>>
>> Locate to:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
>> In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
>>
>> Close Registry Editor
>>
>> Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.
>>
>> Note you can save the registry key first by:
>> On the File menu, click Export.
>> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
>> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
>> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
>> require you to
>> reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own
>> risk.
>>

>> snomann wrote:
>> > I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
>> > I do not have gpedit.msc

Basher

Its worked!

Thanks to all

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Basher,
>
> Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it as
> well.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System properties
> >
> > "Taurarian" wrote:
> >
> >> Check here:
> >>
> >> For WinXP Home
> >>
> >> Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
> >>
> >> Locate to:
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
> >> In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
> >>
> >> Close Registry Editor
> >>
> >> Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.
> >>
> >> Note you can save the registry key first by:
> >> On the File menu, click Export.
> >> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
> >> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
> >> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
> >> require you to
> >> reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own
> >> risk.

It worked for me too! You have my undying gratitude. I've been trying to
fix it for over a week.

You're welcome!

--

> Its worked!
>
> Thanks to all
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Basher,
>>
>> Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it
>> as
>> well.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System
>> > properties

Very Welcome snomann. As this issue is showing up lately (reported in the
newsgroup for last five days), i think this may be caused by malware /
trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow the advice given in
the following pages:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"snomann" <snomann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It worked for me too! You have my undying gratitude. I've been trying to
> fix it for over a week.
>
> "Basher" wrote:
>
>> Its worked!
>>
>> Thanks to all
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Basher,
>> >
>> > Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it
>> > as
>> > well.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> > Windows XP Shell/User
>> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>> >

>> > "Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

All: Thanks for the assistance!!

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Very Welcome snomann. As this issue is showing up lately (reported in the
> newsgroup for last five days), i think this may be caused by malware /
> trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow the advice given in
> the following pages:
>
> Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
>
> The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "snomann" <snomann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It worked for me too! You have my undying gratitude. I've been trying to
> > fix it for over a week.
> >
> > "Basher" wrote:
> >
> >> Its worked!
> >>
> >> Thanks to all