system restore has been turned off by group policy

That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore. It
also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain administrator." I
have a home network with 2 computers. There is no designation of
administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the administrator of my
system. There is no "system restore" option tab under computer properties.
This all happened a few days ago, and things were working fine until then.
I really dislike not having the system restore option. Can someone please
tell me how to get it back?
12 answers Last reply
More about system restore turned group policy

    System Restore Tab Missing
    Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer Configuration,
    Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
    or
    "Restore system restore services" #289
    www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    snomann wrote:
    > That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore.
    > It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain
    > administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers. There is no
    > designation of administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the
    > administrator of my system. There is no "system restore" option tab
    > under computer properties. This all happened a few days ago, and
    > things were working fine until then. I really dislike not having the
    > system restore option. Can someone please tell me how to get it back?

    I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
    I do not have gpedit.msc

    "Taurarian" wrote:

    > System Restore Tab Missing
    > Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer Configuration,
    > Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
    > or
    > "Restore system restore services" #289
    > www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >
    > snomann wrote:
    > > That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore.
    > > It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain
    > > administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers. There is no
    > > designation of administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the
    > > administrator of my system. There is no "system restore" option tab
    > > under computer properties. This all happened a few days ago, and
    > > things were working fine until then. I really dislike not having the
    > > system restore option. Can someone please tell me how to get it back?

    I have same problem and Kellys korner suggestion did not work either.

    See also message from Yetti above on 12 March

    "snomann" wrote:

    > I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
    > I do not have gpedit.msc
    >

    > "Taurarian" wrote:
    >
    > > System Restore Tab Missing
    > > Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer Configuration,
    > > Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
    > > or
    > > "Restore system restore services" #289
    > > www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >
    > > snomann wrote:
    > > > That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore.
    > > > It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain
    > > > administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers. There is no
    > > > designation of administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the
    > > > administrator of my system. There is no "system restore" option tab
    > > > under computer properties. This all happened a few days ago, and
    > > > things were working fine until then. I really dislike not having the
    > > > system restore option. Can someone please tell me how to get it back?

    Check here:

    For WinXP Home

    Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT

    Locate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
    In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".

    Close Registry Editor

    Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.

    Note you can save the registry key first by:
    On the File menu, click Export.
    In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
    reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

    snomann wrote:
    > I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
    > I do not have gpedit.msc
    >

    > "Taurarian" wrote:
    >
    >> System Restore Tab Missing
    >> Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer
    >> Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
    >> or
    >> "Restore system restore services" #289
    >> www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >>
    >> snomann wrote:
    >>> That's the error message I get when I try to activate system
    >>> restore. It also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your
    >>> Domain administrator." I have a home network with 2 computers.
    >>> There is no designation of administrator of the domain, that I know
    >>> of. I am the administrator of my system. There is no "system
    >>> restore" option tab under computer properties. This all happened a
    >>> few days ago, and things were working fine until then. I really
    >>> dislike not having the system restore option. Can someone please
    >>> tell me how to get it back?

    Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System properties

    "Taurarian" wrote:

    > Check here:
    >
    > For WinXP Home
    >
    > Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    >
    > Locate to:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
    > In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
    >
    > Close Registry Editor
    >
    > Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.
    >
    > Note you can save the registry key first by:
    > On the File menu, click Export.
    > In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    > HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    > Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
    > reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
    >

    > snomann wrote:
    > > I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
    > > I do not have gpedit.msc
    > >

    > > "Taurarian" wrote:
    > >
    > >> System Restore Tab Missing
    > >> Check your settings here: For Pro: Start/Run/gpedit.msc. Computer
    > >> Configuration, Administrative Templates, System, System Restore.
    > >> or
    > >> "Restore system restore services" #289
    > >> www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    Basher,

    Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it as
    well.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System properties
    >
    > "Taurarian" wrote:
    >
    >> Check here:
    >>
    >> For WinXP Home
    >>
    >> Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    >>
    >> Locate to:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
    >> In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
    >>
    >> Close Registry Editor
    >>
    >> Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.
    >>
    >> Note you can save the registry key first by:
    >> On the File menu, click Export.
    >> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    >> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    >> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
    >> require you to
    >> reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own
    >> risk.
    >>

    >> snomann wrote:
    >> > I guess I should have indicated that I have XP Home.
    >> > I do not have gpedit.msc

    Its worked!

    Thanks to all

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Basher,
    >
    > Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it as
    > well.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System properties
    > >
    > > "Taurarian" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Check here:
    > >>
    > >> For WinXP Home
    > >>
    > >> Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    > >>
    > >> Locate to:
    > >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore
    > >> In the right-pane, delete the value "DisableConfig".
    > >>
    > >> Close Registry Editor
    > >>
    > >> Close and re-open the System Restore properties page.
    > >>
    > >> Note you can save the registry key first by:
    > >> On the File menu, click Export.
    > >> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    > >> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    > >> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may
    > >> require you to
    > >> reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own
    > >> risk.

    It worked for me too! You have my undying gratitude. I've been trying to
    fix it for over a week.

    You're welcome!

    --

    > Its worked!
    >
    > Thanks to all
    >
    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Basher,
    >>
    >> Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it
    >> as
    >> well.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks but still no luck, the tab will not reappear in System
    >> > properties

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Very Welcome snomann. As this issue is showing up lately (reported in the
    newsgroup for last five days), i think this may be caused by malware /
    trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow the advice given in
    the following pages:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "snomann" <snomann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It worked for me too! You have my undying gratitude. I've been trying to
    > fix it for over a week.
    >
    > "Basher" wrote:
    >
    >> Its worked!
    >>
    >> Thanks to all
    >>
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Basher,
    >> >
    >> > Is there a "DisableSR" value in the same registry key? If so, delete it
    >> > as
    >> > well.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> > Windows XP Shell/User
    >> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >> >

    >> > "Basher" <Basher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    All: Thanks for the assistance!!

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Very Welcome snomann. As this issue is showing up lately (reported in the
    > newsgroup for last five days), i think this may be caused by malware /
    > trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow the advice given in
    > the following pages:
    >
    > Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:
    >
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "snomann" <snomann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > It worked for me too! You have my undying gratitude. I've been trying to
    > > fix it for over a week.
    > >
    > > "Basher" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Its worked!
    > >>
    > >> Thanks to all

  12. Quote:

    That's the error message I get when I try to activate system restore. It
    also says "To turn on System Restore, contact your Domain administrator." I
    have a home network with 2 computers. There is no designation of
    administrator of the domain, that I know of. I am the administrator of my
    system. There is no "system restore" option tab under computer properties.
    This all happened a few days ago, and things were working fine until then.
    I really dislike not having the system restore option. Can someone please
    tell me how to get it back?

Policy Error Message System Restore Windows XP