I think I am being attacked. Here is the problem:

Every evening at 8:11 p.m. my computer starts beeping for about 30 seconds.
It stops as soon as I disconnect from the internet. If I set the computer
clock back an hour the beep does not occur when the clock says 8:11 p.m. but
beeps when the actual time is 8:11 p.m. (9:11 on the computer clock) This
tells me that someone has access to my computer at the same time each day.

I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and have started fresh with all ports
closed. I have scanned using updated Norton antivirus definitions. I have
used the free versions of SpyDocter and Ad-Aware. I have deleted all
cookies and temporary files. Nothing seems to work.

Can anyone help?

Malke

Shep wrote:

> I think I am being attacked. Here is the problem:
>
> Every evening at 8:11 p.m. my computer starts beeping for about 30
> seconds.
> It stops as soon as I disconnect from the internet. If I set the
> computer clock back an hour the beep does not occur when the clock
> says 8:11 p.m. but
> beeps when the actual time is 8:11 p.m. (9:11 on the computer clock)
> This tells me that someone has access to my computer at the same time
> each day.
>
> I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and have started fresh with all
> ports
> closed. I have scanned using updated Norton antivirus definitions. I
> have
> used the free versions of SpyDocter and Ad-Aware. I have deleted all
> cookies and temporary files. Nothing seems to work.
>
> Can anyone help?

The fact that the beeps occur at the same time each day doesn't
necessarily mean that someone is accessing your computer. Obviously you
have some sort of alarm-clock program running or some program that is
set to do something (perhaps get an update?) at 8:11 PM and perhaps it
is failing and giving you the beeps as an error. The only way to
troubleshoot is to use Task Manager to see what is running at that time
and examine all the preferences of any programs running. Try clean-boot
troubleshooting:

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User