Replacing card procedure

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I am thinking of replacing my current AIW 7500 with an ATI AIW 9000 Pro I
now having in an older machine. I was wondering if this would be a
worthwhile project as I really only use the systems for video editing. No
games or other demanding applications are installed. I also need to know the
exact procedure for uninstalling and updating the ATI software. Do I merely
remove and replace the cards and update a driver or is this really involved
needing care not complicate this even more? What does the 9000 have that the
7500 does not that would aid me in my projects?

TIA

John

JohnS

If you don't have an obvious need, then it is a waste of
money. I would look at more ram .. or start building a
better box from scratch. New upgrades are bottlenecked
by old systems.

johns

John wrote:

> I am thinking of replacing my current AIW 7500 with an ATI AIW 9000 Pro I
> now having in an older machine. I was wondering if this would be a
> worthwhile project as I really only use the systems for video editing. No
> games or other demanding applications are installed. I also need to know the
> exact procedure for uninstalling and updating the ATI software. Do I merely
> remove and replace the cards and update a driver or is this really involved
> needing care not complicate this even more? What does the 9000 have that the
> 7500 does not that would aid me in my projects?
>
> TIA
>
> John

this could go easy, or it could become a huge nightmare, if it goes the
nightmare way, you will learn alot about ATI driver installation, the
rewards are negligible, so its up to you.
You havent said what OS your using.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

johns wrote:
> If you don't have an obvious need, then it is a waste of
> money. I would look at more ram .. or start building a
> better box from scratch. New upgrades are bottlenecked
> by old systems.
>
> johns
I wanted to see if 'Hardware Rendering' in Studio 8 worked better with the
128 meg 9000 opposed to the 64 meg 7500. Studio does not advice hardware
rendering video with anything less than 128Meg.

John

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Gordon Scott wrote:
> John wrote:
>>
>> I am thinking of replacing my current AIW 7500 with an ATI AIW 9000
>> Pro I now having in an older machine. I was wondering if this would
>> be a worthwhile project as I really only use the systems for video
>> editing. No games or other demanding applications are installed. I
>> also need to know the exact procedure for uninstalling and updating
>> the ATI software. Do I merely remove and replace the cards and
>> update a driver or is this really involved needing care not
>> complicate this even more? What does the 9000 have that the 7500
>> does not that would aid me in my projects?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> John
>
> this could go easy, or it could become a huge nightmare, if it goes
> the nightmare way, you will learn alot about ATI driver installation,
> the rewards are negligible, so its up to you.
> You havent said what OS your using.

I am using a P4 2.4 Gig w/1 Gig DDR 200/266 SDRAM Dual Inline DIMMS
D845GBV MoBo. Many new Maxtor and WD 200Gig HDDs. I wanted to squeeze a bit
more out of this setup for use for the next few months before I go with a
much better card. I was sure I read that it could be difficulty but was
thinking it could be good refresher coarse for when I install a 9800
possibly.

John