Should legal app crashing XP be considered a security issue?

I'm currently working
to troubleshoot an apparently
valid application that merely
creates a very large number of files
which causes xp pro to "hang"
in less than an hour. (It is not running
out of diskspace).

Should this be considered a
security type issue? I am asking
this question to gain perspective
on how to go about solving the issue.

Thanks,
Roy Terry

The orginal posting is
here.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/ec80e84676ea8063/de4c88378e4fa1ce#de4c88378e4fa1ce

And I have also posted a general inquiry today in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
9 answers Last reply
More about should legal crashing considered security issue

    i would say it would only be a security issue if such a program could be
    placed on and run from your machine from outside. my guess... a resource
    leak in the windows implimentation of tcl. monitor the process for some
    resource type that isn't being reclaimed. probably more of a programming or
    performance issue that security.

    Roy Terry wrote:

    > I'm currently working
    > to troubleshoot an apparently
    > valid application that merely
    > creates a very large number of files
    > which causes xp pro to "hang"
    > in less than an hour. (It is not running
    > out of diskspace).
    >
    > Should this be considered a
    > security type issue? I am asking
    > this question to gain perspective
    > on how to go about solving the issue.

    Hi, Roy. I wouldn't say offhand that this is a security issue. If this
    program is the only one that gives you a problem, it is probably
    something with that particular application. What is its name? Can you
    contact the app's tech support or look on the mftr.'s website to see if
    this is a known issue? Did the program ever work correctly? If so, what
    changed?

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Roy Terry wrote:
    >
    > > I'm currently working
    > > to troubleshoot an apparently
    > > valid application that merely
    > > creates a very large number of files
    > > which causes xp pro to "hang"
    > > in less than an hour. (It is not running
    > > out of diskspace).
    > >
    > > Should this be considered a
    > > security type issue? I am asking
    > > this question to gain perspective
    > > on how to go about solving the issue.
    > >

    > Hi, Roy. I wouldn't say offhand that this is a security issue. If this
    > program is the only one that gives you a problem, it is probably
    > something with that particular application. What is its name? Can you
    > contact the app's tech support or look on the mftr.'s website to see if
    > this is a known issue? Did the program ever work correctly? If so, what
    > changed?
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol

    take a look at the link in the original post, its a tcl file system stress
    test... creates 3600 files in a folder in an hour then creates a new folder
    and starts over... probably some resource leak in tcl or how the test is
    doing it.

    "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > i would say it would only be a security issue if such a program could be
    > placed on and run from your machine from outside. my guess... a resource
    > leak in the windows implimentation of tcl. monitor the process for some
    > resource type that isn't being reclaimed. probably more of a programming
    or
    > performance issue that security.
    Any suggestions as to tools or particular resources? I'm mainly using
    procexp.exe from sysinternals.com. I'm looking at memory and at
    handles - not sure what else I might need to be examining.

    Thanks for your response.

    Roy

    > "Roy Terry" <royterry@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm currently working
    > > to troubleshoot an apparently
    > > valid application that merely
    > > creates a very large number of files
    > > which causes xp pro to "hang"
    > > in less than an hour. (It is not running
    > > out of diskspace).
    > >
    > > Should this be considered a
    > > security type issue? I am asking
    > > this question to gain perspective
    > > on how to go about solving the issue.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Roy Terry
    > >
    > > The orginal posting is
    > > here.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_frm/thread/ec80e84676ea8063/de4c88378e4fa1ce#de4c88378e4fa1ce

    > > And I have also posted a general inquiry today in
    > > microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

    "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Roy Terry wrote:
    >
    > > I'm currently working
    > > to troubleshoot an apparently
    > > valid application that merely
    > > creates a very large number of files
    > > which causes xp pro to "hang"
    > > in less than an hour. (It is not running
    > > out of diskspace).
    > >
    > > Should this be considered a
    > > security type issue? I am asking
    > > this question to gain perspective
    > > on how to go about solving the issue.
    > >

    > Hi, Roy. I wouldn't say offhand that this is a security issue. If this
    > program is the only one that gives you a problem, it is probably
    > something with that particular application. What is its name? Can you
    > contact the app's tech support or look on the mftr.'s website to see if
    > this is a known issue? Did the program ever work correctly? If so, what
    > changed?
    Well I am the developer of the app as written in Tcl. I have also posted
    the program to the comp.lang.tcl NG so I'm hoping for good clues
    from those readers. It's definitely not a (commonly) known issue.

    Cheers and thanks,
    Roy

    Roy Terry wrote:

    > "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> Roy Terry wrote:
    >>
    >> > I'm currently working
    >> > to troubleshoot an apparently
    >> > valid application that merely
    >> > creates a very large number of files
    >> > which causes xp pro to "hang"
    >> > in less than an hour. (It is not running
    >> > out of diskspace).
    >> >
    >> > Should this be considered a
    >> > security type issue? I am asking
    >> > this question to gain perspective
    >> > on how to go about solving the issue.
    >> >

    >> Hi, Roy. I wouldn't say offhand that this is a security issue. If
    >> this program is the only one that gives you a problem, it is probably
    >> something with that particular application. What is its name? Can you
    >> contact the app's tech support or look on the mftr.'s website to see
    >> if this is a known issue? Did the program ever work correctly? If so,
    >> what changed?
    > Well I am the developer of the app as written in Tcl. I have also
    > posted the program to the comp.lang.tcl NG so I'm hoping for good
    > clues
    > from those readers. It's definitely not a (commonly) known issue.

    Thanks for clarifying. As you say, this isn't a common issue and you'll
    get more help developer-to-developer since you all speak the same
    language ;-).

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
    The world is diminished without him.

    > "Malke" <noreply@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > Roy Terry wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm currently working
    > > > to troubleshoot an apparently
    > > > valid application that merely
    > > > creates a very large number of files
    > > > which causes xp pro to "hang"
    > > > in less than an hour. (It is not running
    > > > out of diskspace).
    > > >
    > > > Should this be considered a
    > > > security type issue? I am asking
    > > > this question to gain perspective
    > > > on how to go about solving the issue.
    > > >

    > > Hi, Roy. I wouldn't say offhand that this is a security issue. If this
    > > program is the only one that gives you a problem, it is probably
    > > something with that particular application. What is its name? Can you
    > > contact the app's tech support or look on the mftr.'s website to see if
    > > this is a known issue? Did the program ever work correctly? If so, what
    > > changed?
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > > In Memoriam - MVP Alex Nichol
    > >

    > take a look at the link in the original post, its a tcl file system stress
    > test... creates 3600 files in a folder in an hour then creates a new
    folder
    > and starts over... probably some resource leak in tcl or how the test is
    > doing it.
    That's fairly close - thanks for checking up. Actually the app
    creates about 300 files *per second* with each file in a separate folder.
    Then the
    next second it adds another file to each of the 300 directories. When the
    clock hour changes it creates a new set of sibling folders and continues
    at the same rate. Unfortunately in most tests I've run on XP pro it never
    gets
    to the second hour :)

    I agree this looks like a resource leak of some
    sort, Im just a bit uninformed about how to best nab the culprit. Is there a
    "truss" like
    tool for Windows XP? I am suspicious that Tcl is using the Windows i/o
    calls in some
    subtly "non-grooved" (non common) way that is exposing a bug in XP (or call
    it a bug
    in Tcl if you like - I just need to solve it :^) . Sensible?

    Thanks,
    Roy

    In news:5x%Xd.5138$oO4.126@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
    Roy Terry <royterry@earthlink.net> had this to say:

    > Should this be considered a
    > security type issue? I am asking
    > this question to gain perspective
    > on how to go about solving the issue.

    This is POTENTIALLY heading into the realm of buffer overflow exploits my
    good sir. A security problem? Does it run over a network or while a network
    is in place? If it does then it it also slows the system down to the point
    at which the buffer is full then it's open for exploitation. Likely? No.
    Possible? Yes. Everything's a security vulnerability if you look at it
    'right.' This seems to be potentially dangerous as it might be using system
    resources that are better left to the OS as opposed to the application. Do
    you have it set to run with an elevated priority like real time or high? If
    so simply set it to normal. If not then at least recommend the user
    disconnect from the 'net first.

    Galen

    > In news:5x%Xd.5138$oO4.126@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net,
    > Roy Terry <royterry@earthlink.net> had this to say:

    > > Should this be considered a
    > > security type issue? I am asking
    > > this question to gain perspective
    > > on how to go about solving the issue.
    >
    > This is POTENTIALLY heading into the realm of buffer overflow exploits my
    > good sir. A security problem? Does it run over a network or while a
    network
    > is in place? If it does then it it also slows the system down to the point
    > at which the buffer is full then it's open for exploitation. Likely? No.
    > Possible? Yes. Everything's a security vulnerability if you look at it
    > 'right.' This seems to be potentially dangerous as it might be using
    system
    > resources that are better left to the OS as opposed to the application. Do
    > you have it set to run with an elevated priority like real time or high?
    If
    > so simply set it to normal. If not then at least recommend the user
    > disconnect from the 'net first.
    The program does not run at elevated priority, though typically
    I am logged in as administrator when I run it. Should that
    make a difference?
    Re network, yes it runs in a small and private network of
    cooperating machines but files get created locally
    I'm wondering if people think saving, say 100 files per second
    of average 50K size is too much to ask for XP pro to
    do over a disk usage of say 500 GB. Will the MFT
    handle it? (There is a max of 3600 files in any one directory)

    Thanks,
    Roy

    > Galen
    >
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Security Microsoft Windows XP