security centre unavailable

a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I start up
the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently unavailable
because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having said
that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.

thanks.

PS I've had SP2 running since December without a problem. I also regularly
scan for spyware/adware/malware etc, so I don't think that's the problem.
This issue arose about two weeks ago, for no apparent reason.

peter

Go to Start/Run and enter "services.msc" without the "". Expand the frame
to full screen to make it easier to navigate. Go down to Security Center
and right-click to set it to Automatic and Start it.
Do the same with RPC (Remote Procedure Call ) and Windows Management.
Do you run Registry cleaners at all? Sometimes they "clean" things that
they shouldn't.
Reboot and see if it's OK after doing the above.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I start
>up
> the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
> because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
> automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
> Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
> unavailable
> because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
> said
> that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
> everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
> Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
> happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
>
> thanks.

peter

P.S. Correction ... right click and go to "Properties"

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
XP Home SP2.
P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I start
>up
> the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
> because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
> automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
> Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
> unavailable
> because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
> said
> that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
> everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
> Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
> happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
>
> thanks.

thanks for the reply, Peter.
Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still found
Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and those
services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched themselves off
again. Any idea what's causing that?

"Peter" wrote:

> P.S. Correction ... right click and go to "Properties"
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I start
> >up
> > the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
> > because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
> > automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
> > Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
> > unavailable
> > because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
> > said
> > that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
> > everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
> > Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
> > happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
> >
> > thanks.

peter

Well, I'm stumped for an answer. You've checked for viruses and spyware?
Can you system restore to when it did work? Other than that there is free
email support for SP2 here (I think)
http://www.support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx/ you'll need to
sign in with your .net Passport when asked, or create one. At the
submission stage you will be asked if it's OK to scan your PC set-up, say
yes as it helps MSFT to analyse the problem.
Other than that, I would assume that the only thing to do would be a
format/reinstallation.
I'll post back if I get a brainwave.

--
> thanks for the reply, Peter.
> Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still found
> Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and those
> services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched themselves
> off
> again. Any idea what's causing that?
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> P.S. Correction ... right click and go to "Properties"
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I
>> >start
>> >up
>> > the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
>> > because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
>> > automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
>> > Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
>> > unavailable
>> > because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
>> > said
>> > that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
>> > everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
>> > Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
>> > happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
>> >
>> > thanks.

peter

The only reference I can find is:
Security Tab

To Display the Security Tab: Start/Settings/Control Panel/Appearance &
Themes/Folder Options. View/Advanced
and clear "Use Simple File Sharing".

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
XP Home SP2.
P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks for the reply, Peter.
> Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still found
> Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and those
> services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched themselves
> off
> again. Any idea what's causing that?
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> P.S. Correction ... right click and go to "Properties"
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I
>> >start
>> >up
>> > the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
>> > because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
>> > automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
>> > Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
>> > unavailable
>> > because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
>> > said
>> > that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
>> > everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
>> > Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
>> > happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
>> >
>> > thanks.

peter

Answer # 3
Try booting into safe mode (F8 while it's booting up) and select "Last known
good configuration".

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
XP Home SP2.
P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks for the reply, Peter.
> Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still found
> Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and those
> services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched themselves
> off
> again. Any idea what's causing that?
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> P.S. Correction ... right click and go to "Properties"
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I
>> >start
>> >up
>> > the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
>> > because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
>> > automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
>> > Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
>> > unavailable
>> > because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
>> > said
>> > that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
>> > everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
>> > Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
>> > happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
>> >
>> > thanks.

peter

Security Center also has another dependancy in services.msc Workstation
should be started and automatic.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
XP Home SP2.
P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks for the reply, Peter.
> Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still found
> Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and those
> services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched themselves
> off
> again. Any idea what's causing that?
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> P.S. Correction ... right click and go to "Properties"
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I
>> >start
>> >up
>> > the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
>> > because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
>> > automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
>> > Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
>> > unavailable
>> > because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
>> > said
>> > that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
>> > everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
>> > Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
>> > happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
>> >
>> > thanks.

Hi Peter,

the microsoft link you gave is dead. do you know another way in?

"Peter" wrote:

> Security Center also has another dependancy in services.msc Workstation
> should be started and automatic.
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > thanks for the reply, Peter.
> > Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still found
> > Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and those
> > services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched themselves
> > off
> > again. Any idea what's causing that?
> >

> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> >> P.S. Correction ... right click and go to "Properties"
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter.
> >> Toronto, Canada.
> >> XP Home SP2.
> >> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> >> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

peter

Try http://www.support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6794

--
> Hi Peter,
>
> the microsoft link you gave is dead. do you know another way in?
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Security Center also has another dependancy in services.msc Workstation
>> should be started and automatic.
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks for the reply, Peter.
>> > Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still
>> > found
>> > Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and
>> > those
>> > services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched
>> > themselves
>> > off
>> > again. Any idea what's causing that?

peter

It just occurred to me - what country are you in?

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.

In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> Try http://www.support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6794
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> the microsoft link you gave is dead. do you know another way in?
>>
>> "Peter" wrote:
>>
>>> Security Center also has another dependancy in services.msc
>>> Workstation
>>> should be started and automatic.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter.
>>> Toronto, Canada.
>>> XP Home SP2.
>>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

peter

Found yet another reference....."Go to the Control Panel, open Performance
and Maintenance, open
Adminstrative Tools, open Services. Make sure that the "Security Center" and
"Windows Firewall/Intenet Connection Sharing" start up type is set to
Automatic. Reboot your computer and see if they are available"

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> the microsoft link you gave is dead. do you know another way in?
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Security Center also has another dependancy in services.msc Workstation
>> should be started and automatic.
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > thanks for the reply, Peter.
>> > Interesting. . . I did as you advised, but after rebooting I still
>> > found
>> > Security Centre was Unavailable. So I checked Services.msc again and
>> > those
>> > services you mentioned, which I had put to Start, had switched
>> > themselves
>> > off
>> > again. Any idea what's causing that?

I've tried all you said, but no change. Phoned Microsoft on the Security
Centre 'free' phone number, and they want to charge me £50 to look into it!!
There must be another way . . . I hope.

I'm in the UK, but the way. Does that make any difference?

"Peter" wrote:

> Found yet another reference....."Go to the Control Panel, open Performance
> and Maintenance, open
> Adminstrative Tools, open Services. Make sure that the "Security Center" and
> "Windows Firewall/Intenet Connection Sharing" start up type is set to
> Automatic. Reboot your computer and see if they are available"
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > the microsoft link you gave is dead. do you know another way in?
> >
> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> >> Security Center also has another dependancy in services.msc Workstation
> >> should be started and automatic.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter.
> >> Toronto, Canada.
> >> XP Home SP2.
> >> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> >> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

peter

Weird...did you have SP2 already installed when you bought the PC? Help is
supposed to be free if it wasn't. You could try the email approach as per
that page...they've helped me in the past. I asked you the country as I
assumed you were in the UK (centre iso center), but it could have been
Canada too!!
Failing that you could join ProNetworks Forums, free, there are a lot of
experts there, especially in their Windows Forum...link:
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/ ... but there isn't anything else that I
can suggest I'm afraid.
Sorry, and good luck!

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> I've tried all you said, but no change. Phoned Microsoft on the Security
> Centre 'free' phone number, and they want to charge me £50 to look into
> it!!
> There must be another way . . . I hope.
>
> I'm in the UK, but the way. Does that make any difference?
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> Found yet another reference....."Go to the Control Panel, open
>> Performance
>> and Maintenance, open
>> Adminstrative Tools, open Services. Make sure that the "Security Center"
>> and
>> "Windows Firewall/Intenet Connection Sharing" start up type is set to
>> Automatic. Reboot your computer and see if they are available"
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Peter,
>> >
>> > the microsoft link you gave is dead. do you know another way in?

peter

....apart from a repair install

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> Weird...did you have SP2 already installed when you bought the PC? Help is
> supposed to be free if it wasn't. You could try the email approach as per
> that page...they've helped me in the past. I asked you the country as I
> assumed you were in the UK (centre iso center), but it could have been
> Canada too!!
> Failing that you could join ProNetworks Forums, free, there are a lot of
> experts there, especially in their Windows Forum...link:
> http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/ ... but there isn't anything else that
> I can suggest I'm afraid.
> Sorry, and good luck!
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I've tried all you said, but no change. Phoned Microsoft on the Security
>> Centre 'free' phone number, and they want to charge me £50 to look into
>> it!!
>> There must be another way . . . I hope.
>>
>> I'm in the UK, but the way. Does that make any difference?
>>
>> "Peter" wrote:
>>
>>> Found yet another reference....."Go to the Control Panel, open
>>> Performance
>>> and Maintenance, open
>>> Adminstrative Tools, open Services. Make sure that the "Security Center"
>>> and
>>> "Windows Firewall/Intenet Connection Sharing" start up type is set to
>>> Automatic. Reboot your computer and see if they are available"
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter.
>>> Toronto, Canada.
>>> XP Home SP2.
>>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>>> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
>>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

well, thanks anyway. I've searched around and found I'm not the only one with
the problem, which is a slight relief, but no answers. It looks more and more
as though its a microsoft-related issue but they don't seem to be
acknowledging it. Strange thing, too, if I switch users the security centre
and updates also turns off too. Guess I'll just have to activate them
manually each time until I can find the answer.
cheers

"philwil" wrote:

"Peter" wrote:

> ....apart from a repair install
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Weird...did you have SP2 already installed when you bought the PC? Help is
> > supposed to be free if it wasn't. You could try the email approach as per
> > that page...they've helped me in the past. I asked you the country as I
> > assumed you were in the UK (centre iso center), but it could have been
> > Canada too!!
> > Failing that you could join ProNetworks Forums, free, there are a lot of
> > experts there, especially in their Windows Forum...link:
> > http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/ ... but there isn't anything else that
> > I can suggest I'm afraid.
> > Sorry, and good luck!
> >
> > --
> > Peter.
> > Toronto, Canada.
> > XP Home SP2.
> > P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> > In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I've tried all you said, but no change. Phoned Microsoft on the Security
> >> Centre 'free' phone number, and they want to charge me £50 to look into
> >> it!!
> >> There must be another way . . . I hope.
> >>
> >> I'm in the UK, but the way. Does that make any difference?

peter

I think you need to do a format/re-install of XP or at least do a system
file check.
The latter is Start/Run enter sfc /scannow (with the space).. it may ask you
for your Installation CD unless all the i386 files were installed along with
XP. Insert the CD and see what happens. At worst it will fail.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> well, thanks anyway. I've searched around and found I'm not the only one
> with
> the problem, which is a slight relief, but no answers. It looks more and
> more
> as though its a microsoft-related issue but they don't seem to be
> acknowledging it. Strange thing, too, if I switch users the security
> centre
> and updates also turns off too. Guess I'll just have to activate them
> manually each time until I can find the answer.
> cheers
>
> "philwil" wrote:
>

> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> ....apart from a repair install
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Weird...did you have SP2 already installed when you bought the PC? Help
>> > is
>> > supposed to be free if it wasn't. You could try the email approach as
>> > per
>> > that page...they've helped me in the past. I asked you the country as
>> > assumed you were in the UK (centre iso center), but it could have been
>> > Canada too!!
>> > Failing that you could join ProNetworks Forums, free, there are a lot
>> > of
>> > experts there, especially in their Windows Forum...link:
>> > http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/ ... but there isn't anything else
>> > that
>> > I can suggest I'm afraid.
>> > Sorry, and good luck!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Peter.
>> > Toronto, Canada.
>> > XP Home SP2.
>> > P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> > In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
>> > "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

but will a format or reinstall delete any of my files/applications etc?

"Peter" wrote:

> I think you need to do a format/re-install of XP or at least do a system
> file check.
> The latter is Start/Run enter sfc /scannow (with the space).. it may ask you
> for your Installation CD unless all the i386 files were installed along with
> XP. Insert the CD and see what happens. At worst it will fail.
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > well, thanks anyway. I've searched around and found I'm not the only one
> > with
> > the problem, which is a slight relief, but no answers. It looks more and
> > more
> > as though its a microsoft-related issue but they don't seem to be
> > acknowledging it. Strange thing, too, if I switch users the security
> > centre
> > and updates also turns off too. Guess I'll just have to activate them
> > manually each time until I can find the answer.
> > cheers
> >
> > "philwil" wrote:
> >

> > "Peter" wrote:
> >
> >> ....apart from a repair install
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter.
> >> Toronto, Canada.
> >> XP Home SP2.
> >> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> >> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

peter

Yes it would. I back up my personal stuff and favourites, downloads etc on
a regular basis.
You could try a repair install which only wipes out the latest windows
updates, but preserves your files and folders. Rather than go into detail
it's all laid out here:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> but will a format or reinstall delete any of my files/applications etc?
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> I think you need to do a format/re-install of XP or at least do a system
>> file check.
>> The latter is Start/Run enter sfc /scannow (with the space).. it may ask
>> you
>> for your Installation CD unless all the i386 files were installed along
>> with
>> XP. Insert the CD and see what happens. At worst it will fail.
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > well, thanks anyway. I've searched around and found I'm not the only
>> > one
>> > with
>> > the problem, which is a slight relief, but no answers. It looks more
>> > and
>> > more
>> > as though its a microsoft-related issue but they don't seem to be
>> > acknowledging it. Strange thing, too, if I switch users the security
>> > centre
>> > and updates also turns off too. Guess I'll just have to activate them
>> > manually each time until I can find the answer.
>> > cheers

peter

P.S. go down to "How to run a repair install"

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
"philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> but will a format or reinstall delete any of my files/applications etc?
>
> "Peter" wrote:
>
>> I think you need to do a format/re-install of XP or at least do a system
>> file check.
>> The latter is Start/Run enter sfc /scannow (with the space).. it may ask
>> you
>> for your Installation CD unless all the i386 files were installed along
>> with
>> XP. Insert the CD and see what happens. At worst it will fail.
>>
>> --
>> Peter.
>> Toronto, Canada.
>> XP Home SP2.
>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > well, thanks anyway. I've searched around and found I'm not the only
>> > one
>> > with
>> > the problem, which is a slight relief, but no answers. It looks more
>> > and
>> > more
>> > as though its a microsoft-related issue but they don't seem to be
>> > acknowledging it. Strange thing, too, if I switch users the security
>> > centre
>> > and updates also turns off too. Guess I'll just have to activate them
>> > manually each time until I can find the answer.
>> > cheers

peter

Footnote...whenever doing any kind of repair or full install you should
physically disconnect from the internet until it's finished.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.
> P.S. go down to "How to run a repair install"
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> but will a format or reinstall delete any of my files/applications etc?
>>
>> "Peter" wrote:
>>
>>> I think you need to do a format/re-install of XP or at least do a system
>>> file check.
>>> The latter is Start/Run enter sfc /scannow (with the space).. it may ask
>>> you
>>> for your Installation CD unless all the i386 files were installed along
>>> with
>>> XP. Insert the CD and see what happens. At worst it will fail.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter.
>>> Toronto, Canada.
>>> XP Home SP2.
>>> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
>>> In memory of MVP, Alex Nichol
>>> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks, I had the same issue and this seems to have sorted it.

Cheers

David

"Peter" wrote:

> Go to Start/Run and enter "services.msc" without the "". Expand the frame
> to full screen to make it easier to navigate. Go down to Security Center
> and right-click to set it to Automatic and Start it.
> Do the same with RPC (Remote Procedure Call ) and Windows Management.
> Do you run Registry cleaners at all? Sometimes they "clean" things that
> they shouldn't.
> Reboot and see if it's OK after doing the above.
>
> --
> Peter.
> Toronto, Canada.
> XP Home SP2.
> P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR.
> "philwil" <philwil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >a couple of strange things started happening recently. First, when I start
> >up
> > the pc my taskbar security centre icon tells me my computer is at risk
> > because automatic updates is switched off (it isn't. I have it set to
> > automatic download, and as far as I'm aware it's working).
> > Second, when I go to the security centre I'm told its currently
> > unavailable
> > because security centre service has not started or was stopped. Having
> > said
> > that, I can get into firewall, auto updates and internet options, and
> > everything appears to be okay. Restarting makes no difference.
> > Is it working properly? I don't know. Does anyone know why this is
> > happening, and what I can do about it? I'm using XP Home with sp2 etc.
> >
> > thanks.

TRENDING THREADS