Anti-Aliasing Looks poor

Hello Everyone'
I changed out a TI4400 with an ATI 9600XT. I have messed with the settings
and updated agp drivers and chipset drivers etc. etc..... I have tried the
last six sets of catalyst drivers and am now using 4.8. I play Forgotten
Battles with the Aces xpansion pack and the AA in the game looks worse then
it did with my old TI4400. What theee Hell am I missing?? Anyone??

Regards,
Ger

Try this...but be sure to read the installation instructions. You need to
remove the ATI Control Panel, prior to installing, and do not re-install it.
The Omega driver has it's own. Try going with the default settings for
awhile.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Bill Crocker

"Ger" <ger@lizpope.cm> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone'
> I changed out a TI4400 with an ATI 9600XT. I have messed with the
> settings and updated agp drivers and chipset drivers etc. etc..... I
> have tried the last six sets of catalyst drivers and am now using 4.8. I
> play Forgotten Battles with the Aces xpansion pack and the AA in the game
> looks worse then it did with my old TI4400. What theee Hell am I
> missing?? Anyone??
>
> Regards,
> Ger

Thanks for the info..

Ger

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Try this...but be sure to read the installation instructions. You need to
> remove the ATI Control Panel, prior to installing, and do not re-install
> it. The Omega driver has it's own. Try going with the default settings
> for awhile.
>
> http://www.omegadrivers.net/
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "Ger" <ger@lizpope.cm> wrote in message
>> Hello Everyone'
>> I changed out a TI4400 with an ATI 9600XT. I have messed with the
>> settings and updated agp drivers and chipset drivers etc. etc..... I
>> have tried the last six sets of catalyst drivers and am now using 4.8. I
>> play Forgotten Battles with the Aces xpansion pack and the AA in the game
>> looks worse then it did with my old TI4400. What theee Hell am I
>> missing?? Anyone??
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ger

Either you are doing something wrong or left over NVIDIA driver, file and
registry remnants are fighting the ATI drivers. I would start fresh...
"FRESH" as in format, reinstall WinXP, then install the ATI official Cat
4.8's. Install motherboard drivers also, i.e. VIA chipsets = Hyperion
drivers. Now, go into the display control panel, 3D settings, and change the
AA sliders for both Direct3D and OpenGL from "application preference" to
something like 2x 4x and 6x. Personally, I run 2x with Temporal AA enabled
and it looks like 4x with the performance of 2x... though Vsync has to be
enabled for this to work and the frame rate cant drop below 60fps.

Early in the morning = sloppy post and sentence structure. My apologies.

Just reinstall your OS clean and see what happens. You'll save yourself
aggravation in the long run.

"Ger" <ger@lizpope.cm> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone'
> I changed out a TI4400 with an ATI 9600XT. I have messed with the
settings
> and updated agp drivers and chipset drivers etc. etc..... I have tried
the
> last six sets of catalyst drivers and am now using 4.8. I play Forgotten
> Battles with the Aces xpansion pack and the AA in the game looks worse
then
> it did with my old TI4400. What theee Hell am I missing?? Anyone??
>
> Regards,
> Ger

I did reinstall.. Fragged everything and started over. Went so far as to
fdisk and repartition. Same old story.
I get the same problem no matter what drivers I use.

Ger

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Either you are doing something wrong or left over NVIDIA driver, file and
> registry remnants are fighting the ATI drivers. I would start fresh...
> "FRESH" as in format, reinstall WinXP, then install the ATI official Cat
> 4.8's. Install motherboard drivers also, i.e. VIA chipsets = Hyperion
> drivers. Now, go into the display control panel, 3D settings, and change
> the
> AA sliders for both Direct3D and OpenGL from "application preference" to
> something like 2x 4x and 6x. Personally, I run 2x with Temporal AA enabled
> and it looks like 4x with the performance of 2x... though Vsync has to be
> enabled for this to work and the frame rate cant drop below 60fps.
>
> Early in the morning = sloppy post and sentence structure. My apologies.
>
> Just reinstall your OS clean and see what happens. You'll save yourself
> aggravation in the long run.
>

> "Ger" <ger@lizpope.cm> wrote in message
>> Hello Everyone'
>> I changed out a TI4400 with an ATI 9600XT. I have messed with the
> settings
>> and updated agp drivers and chipset drivers etc. etc..... I have tried
> the
>> last six sets of catalyst drivers and am now using 4.8. I play
>> Forgotten
>> Battles with the Aces xpansion pack and the AA in the game looks worse
> then
>> it did with my old TI4400. What theee Hell am I missing?? Anyone??
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ger

Well....... I'm skeptical. This doesn't make any sense. ATI's gamma
corrected AA implementation is notoriously superior to Nvidia's AA
implementation previous to the 6800 series, where ATI and Nvidia have seemed
to meet on equal grounds.

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

> Yes. I made sure I started fresh. Still looks worse then the Nvidia
> card. What the hell?
>
> Ger

All games or only some?

All games. I use Forgotten battles and Battlefield and Falcon4..
Anti-aliasing looks ratty. I notice that when I change ant-alias levels in
the controls from 2x to 8x it does get better..
Just not what I would xpect. It looked better with my other card.

Ger
"Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote in message

> "Ger" <ger@lizpope.cm> wrote in message
>> Yes. I made sure I started fresh. Still looks worse then the Nvidia
>> card. What the hell?
>>
>> Ger
>>

> All games or only some?

I can understand your skepticism. However, I am experiencing something
here that is starting to piss me off.
I have lived with it for quite awhile now. I am thinking about getting a
new card. v Two choices really. X800 or back to Nvidia with the 6800.. My
perplexity towards this aa problem is leaning me towards Nvidia. I too am
familiar with ATI's heralded AA. My problem is that I have not witnessed it
first hand. Thanks for the input.